Most recent stories

Five Million Yen: Chapter 22

841841 views00 comments00 favs

-Looks like you could use some light, Austerlitz, said one of the men in a heavy Russian accent, or perhaps you prefer the dark?

The Tall Man’s Secret

820820 views33 comments00 favs

I turn the corner and come face to face with Ed, who's stark naked at the kitchen sink. He chugs a glass of hot tap water from a measuring cup and belches loudly. “Good morning,” he says, as he pisses in the sink. “I drink 6 cups of hot tap…

Left for Dead

777777 views00 comments00 favs

Bobby slowly raised his head above the emerald green stalks of rice and looked up and down the paddy for any sign of the men who had been crossing it with him, when the shell exploded. Movement out of the corner of his eye sent him face down in the muck a

Those Counterfeiting Cats

236236 views99 comments11 fav

Help me escape from this cold high peak and explore a galaxy unparalleled by synthetic pear alleles that make colors deceive. Cats like us don't like to go to the top of snowy mountains, for we melt into hairballs and roll all …

Job Interview

872872 views33 comments11 fav

Coming down the stairs, you didn’t see me at all. I watched you lumbering closely. I wondered what they’d done to you to make you move this way.

Arcana Magi Pure Vol.2 - c.1

11781178 views00 comments00 favs

The sound of drums blared from down the street. Car horns tried to fight the sound. Mayumi and Keiko saw the size of the crowd walking past them increase.

Dealing with Sudden Melancholy

17701770 views99 comments1111 favs

Someone who I know only via Facebook and a writer site we both belong to posted a picture of a 12 week old fetus in the palm of a human hand. The message was anti-abortion. You know--how can you consider killing this baby? And the picture was of a tiny, tiny…

Dead Tom, at the Side of the Road

552552 views44 comments00 favs

The dead turkey’s wife, or lover Watching over his recent roadkilled carcass Seeming to be mourning her loss

Inner Demons

937937 views11 comment22 favs

Every soul has a shadow.Last night, I saw mine. I saw greed,with his sticky, gnarled fingers,seizing the tablecloth of a grand feast,indifferent(or conveniently oblivious)to his starving loved ones. I saw ingratitude,with her proud, scornful …

The Match Maker and His Student

139139 views88 comments88 favs

Then there was the slide, some time during late winter

A Band of Feline Brothers

11731173 views55 comments22 favs

I am not covetous for catnip, Nor care where I sleep at night. It irks me not who takes my Favorite chair, or swats me off a table.

Sandyfall

11971197 views1313 comments66 favs

Before Sandy, there was hype of Sandy. On the third day of hype, the broadcasters laughed. Then B-O-O-M, lights out, houses flooded, and Obama was re-elected.

The Empty Stool

739739 views00 comments00 favs

I walked up to the bar and sat down on the empty stool.“You don't want to sit there,” said the bartender.“Oh? Why not?” I replied.“It's haunted.”I laughed, but then stopped when I saw he was not laughing with me.“You're…

The Tomb

773773 views55 comments33 favs

His spoken words had reavealed nothing, but the far-off look in his eyes had told me good-bye.

Bedtime Stories

10271027 views11 comment00 favs

Even before I tap on the door I know I am being watched with one eye. My footsteps have surely given me away. A swift tug on it reveals her to me—half of her, that is, and I slink past the threshold, to her. From her eyes I see that she has…

SMALL THINGS

10251025 views11 comment11 fav

I held at my gut and immediately regretted laughing at Frank when he pulled the pocket-knife out on me. I doubled over and fell to the floor. "John, was a typer all this important?" Frank asked, knife in hand.

Blemish in the Blood

11281128 views1414 comments1010 favs

Warning: some of this is true, some of this is not.

Pecking Order

917917 views11 comment11 fav

My first time all started with the girl on the bench. She had those perfect eyes, you know the ones, where you see them and you just can't help wanting to take everything she has on her. Those kind of eyes. And I saw them first. I was the first one there that morning at the…

Shorondra Reynolds

673673 views00 comments00 favs

When Shorondra Reynolds was a baby we lived in a Baltimore brownstone on the edge of Pigtown. Just me and my mother, when there were no single mothers, just Adele’s mother or Mary’s mama, or Kiki’s madear and their like. It was a time when a five year-old

Familiar Things

12151215 views99 comments77 favs

After lunch I left my office and trickled along like a slow leak, a notch above meandering; gravity had become a lateral force that pulled me forward.

19.

10991099 views66 comments44 favs

They made posters and hung them everywhere. With the passing days she became the photograph at its center: hair always in the same ponytail; always with the same smile

McGrath & Company

527527 views00 comments00 favs

“I dipped a Camel cigarette in ink and smoked it,” he said. “When they took an X-ray, my lungs looked black."

Confronting the Alien

897897 views1313 comments77 favs

I find Vermeer and Bach and feel/ for a moment a shower of my own world’s/ prismatics.

Growly

244244 views77 comments11 fav

As usual, Linda came to Richmond's house for their date. It was alright because Richmond was the most affectionate man she had ever been with. As usual, the lovers ordered in barbecue, this time Korean, and as usual Richmond bounded to the door to…

Summer Bop & Some Are Not

884884 views22 comments11 fav

This is Bop even if you think it doesn't sound like that.

Becoming

11901190 views1111 comments33 favs

Ego bereft of consistency Betrays a heart hungering to toll. Unable to trust its will Or harbor imaginary gods, It gains a hold melding into a role whose proven viability Can give convincing cover To buy time to fabricate An identity that feels unique, Yet…

Assiduity Eight

11041104 views99 comments33 favs

no snippet tasting

Rise, Awake and Sing

750750 views00 comments00 favs

Rise, Awake and Sing“Your dead shall live, their corpses shall rise; awake and sing, you who lie in the dust”(Isaiah 26:19)A medieval town where nothing stands straight,where Kafka sat, slept, ate. Where timereads backwards on a Hebrew clock and a Golemwaits in…

Bright Red Leaf

823823 views44 comments22 favs

Little scoundrel Name of leaf, No one knows He's a thief. The shadows stretch, The birds fly south, And summer's a word Of ash in the mouth When all of a sudden The colors are gone But for a red…

Prayer to Ray Bradbury

10641064 views55 comments33 favs

Dear Ray Bradbury, yesterday was my thirteenth birthday, and I could not stop thinking of the Mennonite girl in the milkwhite bonnet, the squint of her eye, the twitch of her anxious finger on the trigger, sudden holes bloomi