Most recent stories

Size Times New Roman

10961096 views44 comments00 favs

“I’m making a dress,” she said, feeding the pages through the sewing machine. He didn’t know how to answer. “Are those my books?”

My Yoko Ono

653653 views22 comments00 favs

When one hears the siren call of artsy high school love, there’s not much one can do except go ahead and crash on the rocks, sending incense sticks and candles flying.

Refer Madness

988988 views00 comments00 favs

There is an old Indian story which says that if a person inhales basil fumes, then scorpions will grow in the inhaler's brain. We have basil growing all over our garden, so this explains the absolutely stinging sensation I feel in my cerebellum after cutting the basil hedge…

hands

951951 views22 comments22 favs

He cleaned off the pump with a steel brush. Then he took it out to the pressure washer. Out there was where a lady that looked like a witch used to move around and sit on the fences like a crow. The air was humid, and the men were dressed in heavy blue coveralls.…

Liberty of Cooking

983983 views1212 comments55 favs

My dish was slut ("all done" in Swedish). It tasted good though aroused no draft, of mutton, for example. My grandparents' bed held flat. I filed alone, in realist kitchen, reading Froeding, standing, striding, continent as gym.

Lesson Plan

12151215 views1414 comments99 favs

Maybe tonight, maybe next week,/ maybe only in my waking dreams,/ I’ll teach another lesson-

Epigenetics

882882 views00 comments00 favs

Wanted: Woman with wit, repartee skills, education and looks. Conversation, verbal dualing and ??? Respond to Seeker.

Police Mistakenly Release Murderer: An Analysis

12201220 views99 comments66 favs

He has no plan, he needs a plan, he has no plan, he needs a plan -- the two thoughts bounce around inside his skull like racquet balls.

Chimes of Coins or Branches

929929 views11 comment11 fav

It must be some sort of Freudian twist, but as her cold fingertips draw rings on my navel, I think of my mother. Here, her body watches my tongue, asking my lips to curl into the letters of her name. I can't get erect. I remember my mother's face—her eyes almost…

Wind Enough in your Sail?

557557 views22 comments11 fav

Don’t think you can play God with me There are enough songs To fill the heavens already I don’t need you Whispering in my ear Gone virile, are you? That’s what they used to say About me too

Consider the Living

11591159 views77 comments44 favs

we're not at war / with the world. We have papers.

Mourning

11141114 views33 comments11 fav

It was a phone call we never expected. You were so full of life and joy and the sound of your laugh was pierced in our minds. Two strokes. That's what they said. No explanation, no back story. We worried we would lose you. Immediately, all of our memories with you started…

Broward County Love Song (flaxen from the sun)

761761 views00 comments00 favs

If the little buildings had hair the hair was as if sleeked back some and also flaxen from the sun. Men walked past there and of course women also all in the requisite wear of the world. We dashed felt pens on curb-sides writing our names in the world and way in behind…

Automatic Writing: A Cure for Writer's Block?

14221422 views33 comments22 favs

Knocked off around noon, drank some retsina, checked Olympics results. Can’t find Medea’s motivation. Why would she kill her kids?

Morning in Louisiana

464464 views11 comment00 favs

Sunlight slaps the asphalt hard. Steam rises. It looks like thought. The sweet vapors of rumination.

Already There

743743 views00 comments00 favs

Best not look. But the children would.

Bigfoot Night

948948 views11 comment00 favs

The giant stood up and scowled menacingly. "WHAT! You don't think bigfoot is real?!" Big John's face seemed about ready to scowl in on itself.

Dutch Stake

635635 views66 comments11 fav

The Trust Fund editors said they are leaving Germany. They have been there while I have stayed home to tend American refugees.

Nude Body of Gutters

13691369 views44 comments33 favs

You lose her. In the vortex of guttered water, her tangled hair entwines. Tornado-like. Her body spinning boisterously at its core. Her name: Izra—the wooden doll with black pebbled eyes. …

Amends

153153 views1414 comments1111 favs

We met in graduate school. We were both taking a course on teaching using the case study method over at the Business School. I was from psychology. She was from biology. We were both getting Harvard doctorates. But as many people…

The Budweiser Sign and the Ghosts of Saturday Night

10761076 views77 comments22 favs

It waited and witnessed the seasons complete a grouping and form a year. Then it watched them do it again. Winter, spring, summer, fall. It watched from the inside of course. But it could see. Big sliding glass doors and long and wide windows stayed the course also, way…

Beginning, Another Bright Red Day

929929 views55 comments33 favs

Pick up any stick or stone and you'll find the path again. Pick out any lone star and it will shine just for you. The rascal wind simply enjoys messing about with your serious nature. Listen to its…

A Forest

23052305 views3838 comments2828 favs

Her mind was full of fresh air and swung like a bee over clover.

Vienna

12771277 views22 comments22 favs

I remember thinking the seasons are arriving later every year, as if the world has been slowed by the weight of graves.

Laces

15631563 views1515 comments1414 favs

I see those shoes and the status they confer, and I know what they cost.

Laughingly rejected by The New Yorker

13801380 views99 comments44 favs

...and we laughed.

Kandie Contretemps

10301030 views44 comments22 favs

She sat in a tall chair and there was only one time in the interview that she took her sunglasses off. She didn't really take them off, but just pulled them down for an instant with thumb and forefinger in order to look out at something going past the window. They said…

My Digital Garden

12381238 views77 comments44 favs

This part of her digital garden is not impressive, slightly sloppy, even haphazard. However, her avatar is an attractive woman with good make-up.

George, Love, Shakespeare and Company

14111411 views88 comments66 favs

"Love, against the dying of the light." (An unusual story about George Whitman, former owner of the revered & beloved Shakespeare & Company bookstore in Paris, France.)

Subterranean

22862286 views2929 comments2222 favs

and there is no climbing up/ to any height, and the sun/ is cloaked by cloud,