Most discussed stories

The One Day Internship

14681468 views00 comments00 favs

Poppy de Witte was content to spend her summers in Cape Cod, where her family owned a small beach house considerably less stifling than their spacious apartment on Park Avenue.

The Messenger, Chapter 1

13431343 views00 comments00 favs

It's hard to say who was the first to point a finger towards the sky. Maybe it was the cherubic overall-clad toddler perched on the shoulders of his father's worn brown leather jacket. Maybe it was one of the teenaged girls, their long straight hair whipp

Arcana Magi - c.9: Brie Williams, Sentinel of Byakko

14471447 views00 comments00 favs

She saw mana from the pendant floating to her chest and its resonance pulsed with her heart, yet it felt empty. Unaware of what she had done, she reached out to it, thought of a name, and called for it.

But then you walked out on me

899899 views00 comments00 favs

I watched as you tried to fit yourself quite awkwardly into the small chair. Your eyes fluttered curiously around my house, and I smiled to myself. Your vision landed on my smile, and your face wore an expression of puzzlement."What are you smiling at?" you asked, your…

Garbage in, garbage out

852852 views00 comments00 favs

Sam tapped the stick against the small mountain of trash bags, a dull thud predictably followed by a dozen rats scurrying out of the mass. He's started to make a personal game of it — seeing how many he can kill with one whack; if he swings hard enough, and in…

The Unlucky Thirteen

10291029 views00 comments00 favs

They were working on the factory floor when they died, the auspices of mayhem filtering out to a host of ravens gleaning the neighboring fields. Clouds of them fled the scene around the time of the incident turning the day into twilight…

Perquampi

13701370 views00 comments00 favs

If anyone should wonder whether a purveyor of weekly ghost tales on television ("A World Beyond", which I host, was rated number six in fall of '55), might come to feel undone by a case of extradimensional foulness, they shall herein find their answer.

Little Green Rednecks

12421242 views00 comments00 favs

“I was listenin' ta one o' them Terran religious broadcasts 'bout Mother Earth when they up an' says that global warmin' was all the fault o' mankind, an' they had ta make the non-believers see that all the drivin' they did, an' all the stuff they bought

Arcana Magi Pure Vol.3 - c.2

989989 views00 comments00 favs

Mayumi ran. She ran fast as if her life depended on it. She never looked back. She did not care about her friends. Mayumi just wanted to escape that world more than ever, but she did not get far.

Man Cave / Jane Austen

780780 views00 comments00 favs

They ride horses through the living room ....

Tides

11231123 views00 comments11 fav

Tides

The Great San Francisco Poetry Wars, 9

863863 views00 comments00 favs

Warren Jeffries left this girlfriend of his named Karen, who was also a poet, and overnight she announced she’d gone back to being a lesbian, she’d so had it with MEN! She did a reading of her new series of Sappho poems at Cody’s Bookstore,

Booming

941941 views00 comments00 favs

"I want more grandchildren to spoil," the woman said. Will took a swig of beer at such moments. Maxine only answered with “someday” and looked over toward her husband. She knew it was his fault, didn’t really know why, but blamed him anyway.

The Flower

859859 views00 comments00 favs

In dimmed purple light, that day When the rain fell, Dissolved the textures of her face,

The Call

873873 views00 comments00 favs

I strolled mindlessly along the concrete pavement, the cool breeze carrying the characteristic scent of the night. I stared at the path ahead, but not really looking. My legs continued their automated operations. I didn't know where I was going, but that was all right - I…

A Man

928928 views00 comments00 favs

He was lit up faintly.Standing in a room of golden proportions (which is not saying a lot), he was one stood man (which is). The only lamp, a seemingly old neon, hanging short from its chains, shone darkly above none. None but a five-feeted glass plane, upon which glossy…

Morning Love Song

885885 views00 comments00 favs

when I said good morning I meant

where you had me

843843 views00 comments00 favs

You already had me in all your other paintings. You already had me in every possible position. Underwater, in a car seat, on your back lawn at night with lightning coming from the west, bending over to sniff a rose, with my panties down around my knees.

The End of the Gig

804804 views00 comments00 favs

His throat had turned red after a few days of singing, and when he looked in the mirror he saw little sacs of white pus, like pimples, in the back of his mouth. “You got to pace yourself,” the big black woman who sang at the other beer garden told him.

What I'd Have to Call My 'Meatsack Family'

13911391 views00 comments00 favs

This story is a work of fiction. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is coincidental and unintentional and should not be inferred. (Really!)

Bundle of Nerves

852852 views00 comments00 favs

Testing how well he navigates She didn't think he would find it

The House on El Nino Diablo Court

880880 views00 comments11 fav

On a cold, dark night near to All Hallows' Eve in October of 1930, I was summoned by Constable John Wakefield to the house of Vernalier Driscoll. The constable was wild-eyed and very nervous, his hair appeared to be standing on end.

Terror From Above

12241224 views00 comments00 favs

As airplanes fly low over her children playing in the kiddie pool on the front lawn, Maureen learns something else about her father's new house that lies in the flight path of an international airport.

Statue Of An Armless Woman

417417 views00 comments00 favs

It feels like I'm almost in love with the statue of an armless woman. So white, so much whiter than white, so white it makes you believe you're blind, makes you feel like gnawing the rind off a blood red orangeIn the town square near the fountain …

Thirty-Two

10301030 views00 comments00 favs

This morning Katie and Jimmy are learning about the potters field—the one where Judas Iscariot was buried—from their grandma.

Arcana Magi Zero + Pure - c.9

829829 views00 comments00 favs

Emi watched the Perez sisters show each other support. It brought back memories of Mayumi giving her support, even fighting for her.

Mickey and Harriet

937937 views00 comments00 favs

  Ellie's got two parrots. She owns the house down the block to the left where the golf club owner fixes her grounds and garage because he can't stop working on his vacation. You'd think he…

Disparity

800800 views00 comments00 favs

These were strange realizations, and each built upon the one before until I was completely mystified and unsettled in my life.

Down

10451045 views00 comments00 favs

Locked at the highest rung Unable to budge at all

God Wanted Us to Come Here

941941 views00 comments00 favs

Betty had been looking for a distraction; the lawsuits were out of control. Her last nonprofit, Faith and Life Children's Organization, had run into some difficulties due to the recession and the obvious result of trying to do more with less. Why couldn't people…