Most discussed stories

Our Graves

12281228 views55 comments44 favs

But no matter how we died, we all end up here, in the Meadowlark Children's Cemetery.

Mail from the Ungrund: A Tardy Preamble

855855 views55 comments33 favs

nevertheless, this crowd had come up with a universal cure for humanity, and regardless of consequences . . .

Autobiography of a Head Bully, excerpts

14191419 views55 comments00 favs

On Saturday nights, they dream of you. You are the gas station they can’t own, the lottery they can’t win. You are beating up their boss, giving him a headache that will last through Wednesday morning, keep him home half the week.

Gerontophile: An Imposition

11911191 views55 comments11 fav

His shirt, striped, fuzzy, is of fabric like velour and wreaks havoc with sunlight. His seat faces the aisle, I am sitting forward-faced across the aisle, we are on a half-full city bus, this afternoon.It is a funny shirt so I smile. I am not smiling because of…

strapped to the mast

757757 views55 comments00 favs

The light streaming out of the background of things, in the absence of memory. That’s what I’m talking about. Prepare to let out all your light from night until dawn, if you want to be in the middle of life. I never wanted to stay at the edges. It didn’

A Night in Saudi Arabia

10271027 views55 comments22 favs

I walk through nameless streets, narrow and winding, past shops selling scarves, spices, skins.

Haze

11891189 views55 comments66 favs

Just like D-Ray White’s tapping still bounces off the mountains if the right person is listening, Hasil’s hoots and howls are trapped in record wax like a blood-drunk mosquito in amber.

The Anniversary

15441544 views55 comments44 favs

.... The sun tears through the windshield as if it were an six-foot wide magnifying glass and for a moment it feels to them both as if they are in a manipulated universe of fire and ice, storm and heaven, as it does when the skies crack and spread open a

Secrets of the Kama Sutra

14141414 views55 comments33 favs

“No names,” she said. “I am the mysterious woman, and you are the handsome stranger.”

Me and Not Me

965965 views55 comments44 favs

Is there a homunculus in my brain guiding everything like the pilot of an airliner?

Laughing All The Way To The 2020 Election

10731073 views55 comments44 favs

After President Trump was elected, my first impulse was to spend the next four years cowering under the bed, whimpering.While I knew that I needed to keep track of what our new commander in chief was up to, watching the news made me too angry and too sad and just too…

Spatter

12911291 views55 comments44 favs

Splat.

justice in obverse and reverse

712712 views55 comments44 favs

seriously: let defendants choose their coin, / execute their own calls, make their own coin flips― / attentive referee, no need for a court.

Heavenly Blue Morning Glory

12641264 views55 comments11 fav

‘Oh, and try these. ' She handed me a plastic baggy full of seeds that resembled watermelon seeds, only smaller. ‘If these don't work your problem runs deeper...'

Dear A. Lien (Letter Two)

11001100 views55 comments22 favs

You’ve got Wikipedia. Look them up: vagina and penis. What Wikipedia will not tell you, however, is the thousands of years of human anguish, and rapture, wrapped up in those two organs.

Send

12621262 views55 comments22 favs

Send me a secret story in a song just for me

There is

11691169 views55 comments55 favs

another way to play with all that is that doesn't involve killing for profit. I believe that, don't you? There is always a much kinder response to the failing dawn of secret night. Dancers know the power of this beautiful all encompassing …

Cups for Saucers

11601160 views55 comments55 favs

They were everywhere walking right above us or so it seemed, back and forth, back and forth with their lousy, crunching heels making hollow chewed up noises that took all the sweet sounds left on earth and had them march along…

AnythingAnythingAnything

10901090 views55 comments44 favs

I’ll sit up all night, I don’t mind. I don’t have to Go to work, Or Wake up early.

Three New Poems

781781 views55 comments55 favs

"A man's soul or lack of it will be evident with what he can carve upon a white sheet of paper."--Charles BukowskiBone We built a secret road and rolled it into a crumpled ball and pushed it deep into an empty wine bottleAnd dropped it into the laughing ocean for much,…

Broken Symmetry

21642164 views55 comments11 fav

It was not until my twelfth birthday that I realised the face I saw in the mirror was not mine.

Quicksand

10641064 views55 comments00 favs

At 25...

a parable

11461146 views55 comments22 favs

jaws blossoming with drool,/ a captured wolf slinks low/ across the crowded land/ for that most tender lamb/ to catch it by surprise.

threes

11851185 views55 comments55 favs

i am either lacerated /or ill at ease / continually subject to gusts of life

Sing

14551455 views55 comments11 fav

"From up here the city lights burn like a thousand miles of fire," he croaked, his voice scratchy from sobbing. In pinpoints of illumination he imagined his wife - *former* wife - Calli in that Mustang convertible he'd gotten her for a birthday surprise

Elevator to the Angels

10731073 views55 comments55 favs

I opened the closet door and there stood Eugène Ionesco lost among our clothes.

Come and be a part of it!

18391839 views55 comments11 fav

Do you want social justice! Do you want a good and fair world!

2011 - What I Wanted

10811081 views55 comments22 favs

I might have gotten laid

All is Ready

10771077 views55 comments22 favs

All is Ready I have bathed in patchouli oil and my hair gleams, lustrous with brushing. I am wearing my gold ankle bracelets with the ruby charms that my love gave me when we had been married one year. My robe is fuschia silk and under it I wear…

One Regrettable Talent for Tragedy

13861386 views55 comments55 favs

Vandalina embarked on her career of serious dramatic roles to widespread acclaim, her depth of feeling and potency of delivery winning her thunderous ovations and gushing reviews . . .