Alphabetical stories

Call to Arms

896896 views1010 comments88 favs

I call upon all cashiers in dungarees... I call upon the baristas in rags... I call upon those whose sinister principles tax the weakness of their conscience... I call upon all those deracinated by dreaming big...

Calling All Feathers, Do You Hear

10631063 views66 comments77 favs

These little things, they are the hopes We were waiting for, they are everywhere. I made this one just for you. Call them feathers. Call them roses. You'll always See them if you need them. These Little things carry the good news…

Calling the Nurse

751751 views00 comments00 favs

The coffee cup was still full. Black hot steaming smoke signals climbed toward the ceiling, like blowing soot out of dirty bagpipe lungs. The mug exhaled constant and slow like the Fall, until room temperature crept from the handle around…

Calluses

14911491 views66 comments55 favs

My Grandma caressed my sleeping Grandfather’s feet as we sat in his hospital room after hours.

Calm and Level

744744 views11 comment00 favs

The funeral grounds look level and calm. We leave the urban world behind for an instant. The other world has claimed someone. But we are in limbo. It is a terrible thing when a connection or breakthrough moment is not achieved or granted by the universe. …

Calm Face

20022002 views3030 comments1919 favs

I went for a walk to buy coffee, here's what I saw

Calypso

18841884 views77 comments44 favs

For here in the vortex are no other laws, Than separate towards you I and skirting stone- To wards where wavelets purr against their pause A moment more, to yawn to omicron… Inside the seashell orchard's whirl-quick floor- Come all at once to me or…

Cambridge Vignettes (from the 1960s)

399399 views11 comment11 fav

I wanted none of her. But also that day I had just finished The Story of 0., and my mind was full of sadistic whimsies and the mood of anythingness that the book instills: the pound of fleshness. Anyway, I sneered at her and told her she bored me, and sat

Camden Place

859859 views00 comments00 favs

A brown snake coils and nests around purple plums on his lap. I am thrilled he isn’t dead.

Camelot

661661 views22 comments22 favs

“Oh, where are you going to, O tow-haired rover?” Though my sight turns nowhere homeward, and my mouth's run numb, I can hear a leaflet sifting through the walls of clover; Though I stay, I ‘m going forth and o'er to Camelot, come- On a four…

Camp #7

950950 views1010 comments33 favs

One afternoon the kids from next door come over. Marion is our age, Jimmy a year younger. Marion's pretty. I can't even look at her.

Camp Atheism

15101510 views2727 comments1919 favs

We are not alone, not as alone as we think.

Camp Hope

10941094 views00 comments00 favs

Tater didn't like three things in this life: his daddy, his momma, and the stupid dog that chewed his jizzed on socks.

Camp Lake (excerpt)

10831083 views33 comments22 favs

In retrospect, we should have been a cult.

Campbell & Evans

10711071 views11 comment11 fav

He laughed – pictures traveled across his mind of bodies and mouths and the sex and the liquor, he could taste the flesh and the alcohol right then, strong, immediate.

Can a Hummingbird Sing?

813813 views33 comments33 favs

I'm the first child she ever knew that couldn't sing.

Can Bone-Munching Zombie Worms Help Fight Childhood Obesity?

10871087 views11 comment11 fav

President Kennedy’s national physical fitness program tried to reverse the incoming tide of obesity, but for many it was too late.

Can I Get a New To-Do List

729729 views33 comments11 fav

I got a male bouffant hairdo like Trump I can’t wait to develop patience And the next time I have a ringing in my head I’m not going to answer it Can I Get a New To-Do List? I tried changing my name to Richard Vixen Until the State Dept. too

Can I Have a Title Here?

732732 views44 comments22 favs

At the company luncheon, the dessert course came first. The servers were tense and unresponsive and we knew something was off. After the pudding or mousse came an undressed salad. Several minutes later came dressings — balsamic, ranch — with ladles.…

Can I Take My Gun Up To Heaven?

12771277 views00 comments00 favs

I thought of Ruth burrowed deep in the nest of her closet and quickly jumped into the footlocker. I nearly stopped breathing as he entered his bunker.

Can You Imagine?

763763 views00 comments00 favs

“Can you imagine what we could have accomplished, if we would have just gotten all the fuckin out of the way?” says Doug Stanhope, one of my favorite comedians, and one of the most brilliant, harsh straight to point utterances, I've heard from anyoneWe…

Can't Sleep But Very Tired

809809 views22 comments11 fav

I repeated your name like a mantra / and vomited black bile in the sink. / Some Buddhist monk told me / if I recite it ten thousand times / you will be mine.

Can't We All Be Writers?

10371037 views33 comments22 favs

Why not just self-publish on Fictionaut and be read by thousands of my peers? Why not release my cherished work directly to my thousands of Facebook or Twitter or blog friends? Can the budding writer that I am realistically expect a larger audience?

Can't You Tell When I Get Lonely?

11531153 views33 comments11 fav

“Can't you tell when I get lonely?”, she asks. “No”, I say. It gets awkward because she wants me to know when she gets lonely. I don't give her the attention she wants without realizing it. She moves away and stares at me for…

Canary House

804804 views44 comments33 favs

The items were not selected. The people were not forced to choose, with tears and a suffocating feeling.

Cancer Always Calls Collect - Part 1

11671167 views1010 comments44 favs

Again, that was not the man I once knew. If they were taking Las Vegas odds; I should be the one dealing with this first. Why was it him and not me?

Cancer Always Calls Collect - Part 13 - Revival of the Fittest

792792 views00 comments00 favs

My body continues to tread water through its daily existence and each day challenges me to find some sort of grounding. I often wonder who needs taking care of as I find myself sometimes spiraling in a downwards cycle-- not even taking a required break

Cancer Always Calls Collect - Part 2 - Dear Santa

974974 views33 comments11 fav

We all know that sometimes miracles happen and sometimes they don't. Some days are good and some days go by slowly as the fatigue sets in and he realizes that he is fighting cancer.

Cancer Always Calls Collect -- Part 20 -- Stuck on the Pitch of a Roof

883883 views33 comments22 favs

Little things that kept me going are no longer doing the trick, and venting to someone eventually drives them away. People around you know what is going on, but there is little they can do. They stay away at more than an arms length and you understand. Tr

Cancer Always Calls Collect -- Part 23 --- Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

918918 views44 comments33 favs

In the end nothing could bring him back because I tried. All those weeks and months, yet all I have left are the tears and memories. He said when he asked the final questions to those in charge he was confused.