Recommended stories

Now's the Time: Three Women of Jazz Today

613613 views33 comments00 favs

The world of jazz resembles the Elizabethan stage: bare, unadorned sets, little of what is performed is reduced to writing, no, or hardly any women.

Immaculate

646646 views11 comment00 favs

I remember him saying something like: “Are you aware of how completely horrible you are as a human being?”

From the Cradle

909909 views22 comments00 favs

Loss and awakening are irrevocable. Love and grief are one.

Faith in the Rest

966966 views22 comments00 favs

She had the smile of a pixie on mushrooms in a disco ball universe, and I dug her style.

Proud Military Wife

13081308 views00 comments00 favs

Back when they were younger, David was always gushing about every little thing in his head, and his openness appealed to her as much as his muscular frame did. But after that year they spent apart, he was always ... smiling. Smiling and vague.

Arcana Magi - c.4: Reflection

16731673 views00 comments00 favs

Those without magic, tried to figure out what their fellow co-workers were looking at as they watched Alysia fly. Oryn lifted her head up and her mouth gaped open, her eyes twitched as the reflection of a bright light glared across her eyes.

Courtly Love, a tail

10381038 views11 comment00 favs

They're bound to wonder what sort of offspring we'll hatch. We've done the tests, we are cross-fertile.

Basement Concert

947947 views22 comments00 favs

You don't just hear the sound, you are the sound, you and everyone else in the room.

Lenin's Paintings

13151315 views22 comments00 favs

I was going through Lenin's jewelry and his paintings with a team of experts. I got the idea that I was hired to verify his paintings, although I didn't know he painted.

Meteor Shower

10201020 views11 comment00 favs

A rain of stones . . .

To My Children, With Apologies

992992 views22 comments00 favs

My apologies also for those crowded roads you and your families have to drive on. My generation would have built more public transportation but, in all honesty, we just didn't give a damn.

Arasoi Chuugi

13221322 views11 comment11 fav

"We regret the inconvenience. Due to hijack activity, we have orders to secure this flight. Please remain seated. We will be landing shortly. Thank you for your cooperation."

Some Things I Have Learned As A Writer

926926 views11 comment11 fav

1. Poor grammar does not sleep. 2. We'll never finish every idea we have. 3. No matter how hard you try, you still might make it into my book

Oopsy-Daisy!

14421442 views00 comments11 fav

[This story definitely WON'T be appearing in this month's "Alfred Hitchock's Mystery Magazine"!]

Nicotine Clouds and Depleting Oxygen

870870 views22 comments00 favs

I spent the summer of 2001 in disguise;

Pecking Order

918918 views11 comment11 fav

My first time all started with the girl on the bench. She had those perfect eyes, you know the ones, where you see them and you just can't help wanting to take everything she has on her. Those kind of eyes. And I saw them first. I was the first one there that morning at the…

How to Have a Dinner Party

10341034 views11 comment11 fav

sherbet is hard cash.

Son

799799 views11 comment11 fav

Trenches coated with man-gruel laced the earth.

Yr Wire

12371237 views11 comment11 fav

Hours. Hours, bygone. He said, “Come to me all liquored up and you know what’s gonna happen.” Sure. It was every bit true, what he said, six months bygone, chewing off cuticle scabs somewhere out west.

Things Unspoken

924924 views11 comment11 fav

There's something about the way he touches me every time that makes my heart skip a beat and pushes the air from my throat. I shiver under his hot breath while he whispers softly and pulls himself closer, letting his fingers glide…

Meal

10221022 views22 comments00 favs

When they tell you to choose your last meal, it probably hasn't dawned on you yet.

English Leather Aftershave

601601 views33 comments00 favs

I just can't figure out why nothing terrible happened to me that night. Young, blonde, drunk American girl sitting on a dirty curb in the red light district of Nuevo Laredo, and everyone left me alone ... amazing.

shame

847847 views11 comment00 favs

A deserted breeze hangs and waits and talks with staggered shapes in the sky like a melancholic child, held behind and forced to face the wall as better taught and better-tempered children dig for ancient ruins just ou

In Which My Girl Hits Me With Various Big-Ticket Appliances

810810 views11 comment11 fav

My girl hit me with an ice cream freezer. She did it ‘cause she said she didn't want me to tease her.

Babbling

985985 views22 comments00 favs

She’s gotten more involved in the game with menopause.

“What will I do if I run out of stories,” she asked?

545545 views22 comments00 favs

You better not come home drunk, you shithead, or you'll be sleeping in the yard!

Play Pen

10631063 views22 comments00 favs

we're only playing with this language you and I

The Garden Heaters Of Kilburn

11291129 views22 comments00 favs

when women’s hair shrinks into tight curly balls and sits on top of their heads like scrunches of wool, blowing in the wind, hanging from the mouths of recently shot deer.

On All of Those Bad Guys in Movies

811811 views11 comment11 fav

What about the poor nobodies to somebodies being tossed like wet rags onto more wet rags?

The Old Man

777777 views22 comments00 favs

The old man tied his black tie and put on a black beret. His bones hurt, but at ninety-two it was to be expected.