Recommended stories

Constable Pulce and the Sunny Dystopia

13921392 views55 comments55 favs

Alessandro was no ordinary demon (what demon is?), insofar as he had Constable Pulce's number. In demonly fashion he had Pulce's number in a way Pulce himself did not.

The Invitation

987987 views99 comments44 favs

The poet could not speak of himself but only of the gradations leading toward him and away. ~ Mark Strand

Darryl, The Biography

980980 views55 comments55 favs

"I was born very far from where I'm supposed to be. And so I'm on my way home."--Bob Dylan I don't owe you anything. If I'm a recluse what does it have to do with you? I have the right to be poor. Some things cannot be explained away by letters that…

the weather past where roads end

885885 views55 comments55 favs

a soft wooden clatter, wind-battered reeds/bound to the banks of ditches rank,/ill-purposed waters slide into low swamps/whose waters into rivers seep and crawl.

Unsent

998998 views55 comments44 favs

this is where we end -- the exorbitant eye of forgotten days.

Nepenthe

781781 views99 comments44 favs

Alas, the wind, the rain/ and plate tectonics take temples,/ fire and sediment papyrus and clay,

There are Grandmas and there is my Grandma.

15871587 views55 comments44 favs

Last night Grandma got her walker stuck in the snow almost up to her tits. I feel the mark of a dutiful grandson is to come to her aid. And I always do. Even though she usually gets back home at 2 00 a.m. — or maybe 3 — sometimes she's late and we worry but I…

Stretching to Understand

12201220 views99 comments33 favs

You looked like someone I didn't want to know. I guess that's why I got in the car that night. My penchant for self-destruction was aroused by your black nail polish and the lavender circles under your eyes. You looked like someone that could hurt me, yeah, that's why I got…

And then the Heat Broke

15231523 views77 comments22 favs

She did not know Robert’s skin was sliced and bruised from the twelve pound ball and chain locked to his ankle for sixteen hours that night.

Flood

13021302 views77 comments44 favs

My mother's afraid the dog will drown. It's raining and our street is flooding and the dog is standing on top of his doghouse. My mother is pregnant. I can stand beneath her stomach and not even see her face. I watch her from the kitchen window. She's shoeless. She holds…

Fatherhood 101

10271027 views99 comments44 favs

The instructor moved over to the whiteboard and wrote in big block letters “FOOTBALL” and then crossed it out. “You should just never treat your newborn like a football. That means no passing it or punting it.

Will #17

14761476 views88 comments44 favs

I want crazy at my funeral. I want clowns, a petting zoo, fireworks, craps tables, male and female strippers, and a three-person band composed of old men wearing striped vests, black pants, and straw hats: one plays a banjo, another on tuba, and…

The Bird King's employees

10361036 views55 comments44 favs

The Bird King's advisors and ministers are a range of rusty kitchen utensils. They all observe a respectful silence in his presence.——Contrary to popular belief, the Bird King is not an atheist. His meathook priests do their rounds at twilight.——The…

Monaco Memories

719719 views88 comments44 favs

Back then he raced, grinding gears and skimming the edges of death.

Early Decision

10261026 views1010 comments33 favs

Melinda said forget the kegger last night, what we’re about to do will help you figure out whether you want to apply here.

Saturday Morning

12121212 views1010 comments22 favs

Saturday morning, and I’m pushing the old truck a little, chasing retreating bands of cloud shadows along a winding hilltop road.

Not Everything's Supposed to Make You Think

930930 views66 comments55 favs

you are on a missing boat in the middle Of a fogged out notion of some sort. A no nonsense paddle could be made out Of something as intangible as an Incoming wave. This could also be a Floating thought up map, man. In…

Too Weak for the World

11581158 views55 comments55 favs

There was a certain romanticism in it, the salty old man sidling up to me at a bar, rhapsodizing in a slurred stream of conscious about the state of the world, the country, the state of his own heart. He didn't have an eye patch nor beard, nor was he…

Paying for Dinner at a French Restaurant So You Will Love Me

12991299 views55 comments55 favs

What does she have / that I don’t have / that I can’t buy / for myself?

Radio Hostile

11451145 views88 comments55 favs

Nard writes back: "LOL. Um. Not sure what to make of your video."

Quitting

10911091 views1313 comments33 favs

—It’s difficult to say, he said. I have mood swings. Women don’t like that. They become upset.

Work of a Reader

793793 views66 comments55 favs

Then it gets worse—this reading of books—I go to the café and can only read a minimalist there, one crouton at a time.

The Glassblower

10551055 views66 comments44 favs

His beloved are paper-thin when he blows into the free end. Green tint from copper.

A Bad Year

10801080 views55 comments55 favs

It's been a bad year, People dying. Some too close to home, Some too far away. I cry down to you, In your casket, and think you might sit up. You were not sick You went in just a moment, Looking stunning and alive. Not…

What You Choose to Take

10661066 views66 comments55 favs

You first hear about the wildfire on the old kitchen radio.

Homonyms Explicated

833833 views55 comments55 favs

right/rite: Your touch smooth as impulse/ Swaying my mind

Threads

13301330 views77 comments44 favs

She said he was missing the whole point: it was a decoration, not an actual pillow. You were supposed to place it somewhere artful.

Genesis Serpent’s Skin Found

11971197 views55 comments55 favs

This may be too religious for you, as at first it was so with me. But I assure you, on my scholarly integrity, I have found the Genesis Serpent’s skin! Yes, that Genesis Serpent--though just a leftover piece of him,

A Shower of Rain

965965 views66 comments44 favs

You have at least an intermittent belief.

re·frac·tion

10581058 views66 comments44 favs

bassackward/in the surreal/bathroom mirror