Most recent stories

All that Remains

11971197 views33 comments11 fav

The drapes are closed against the sunlight, but Ginny can feel someone in the room. She peers through barely open eyes so as not to let on she's awake. She adjusts her position in a way she hopes mimics sleep, turns her head to the side. A woman…

Blacktop

10951095 views33 comments22 favs

Infrastructure...

Pink

23832383 views1919 comments1313 favs

In China I remembered you only once:the restaurant's speciality, chosenfrom a braid of live varieties,spiraled to the floor while the waiterflayed it with a knife flickedfrom his wrist. The snake made your initialover and over the black tile.What pain? Love's all…

Peach

24472447 views3232 comments1515 favs

He wanted to walk in, take off his scrubs, and not have to look at pictures of peaches.

Feelings

13011301 views22 comments22 favs

I feel like shit.

A Vicious Deer

965965 views22 comments00 favs

A Vicious Deer The man came across the hall to talk to us. He was buying some paintings. He had a white deer on a leash. Fosca (our Malamute) said: “That's a vicious deer.” She kept putting her paw on its shoulder. I said: “You bet

NO IDEAS FROM HERE

942942 views33 comments11 fav

NO IDEAS FROM HERE Tape The knife that tore the envelope tore the apricot. What was it? Water The boxes ranked against the open room. Watch So it was cut the water bright the tub. Say …

Lips that Touch Liquor: The Gin Buck

19271927 views22 comments11 fav

It was twilight, and the sky was getting darker even as the lights of civilization were becoming more noticeable in the gloom. The daytime city, with its grit and dust and texture, was disappearing. Soon there would only be electric light and neon and the

3.8 in Chicago

745745 views44 comments22 favs

A 3.8 magnatude earthquake ravages Chicago suburbs.

The Tricycle

13461346 views44 comments00 favs

The large black pedals on the red/Tricycle rotate, push along the cracked,/Weedy surface.

Goddess

11331133 views00 comments00 favs

“So, do you still think I'm hot? I mean, do you think men still find me attractive?” Jenny asks. This is never a good question to answer, much less entertain. I know this as surely as I know anything. Still, let's break it down. I am married. Jenny is…

When it Gets Dark

11201120 views33 comments11 fav

The world—the natural world—was terrible and beautiful in wartime. The leaves shuddered off trees. The pockmarked fields. The fallen brick chimneys. The way the birds heaved together in enormous flocks like rescue missions and then just as…

A Leaf For Instance is Only a Green Enough Calling Card(A Valentine)for Someone if You Care to Mail It

11481148 views99 comments44 favs

Because you alone must know how to make a smile shine at me and be like the sun, I can only feel its warm and coolish colors becoming that perfectly deepened yellow then on to the red if you please that makes a shy kind of blue out of day. That…

(1) Nan

15771577 views22 comments11 fav

[Her adviser] looked at her and tilted his head, smiling. Over his shoulder she saw the M104 bus cruising up Broadway, and considered diving under it. Instead she took off toward the corner, in shame, and he followed. When they parted ways, he took her ha

Cleaning House

959959 views66 comments22 favs

If you've ever cleaned house because a death is coming,you know it's the same as any other kind of cleaning.Wipe the tables.Pick up the floor.Sweep the crumbs under the carpet.For later.And for the ants.It's different, too.Because you're floating.On caffeine.On muffled…

Spiders on the Wall

894894 views00 comments00 favs

Her eyes creaked open in the misty morning sun seeping through my dusty window. From her facial expression, I could tell she thought I was watching her sleep, but really I had just woken up and coincidentally looked over at the exact moment she did. I decided against …

it’s possible that i’ve given this some thought

801801 views00 comments00 favs

“Our legs are touching. Our legs. Touching. The light from the screen illuminates your eyes. Off and on. Even in night scenes. Maybe it dances in the eyes of other people there too. But I doubt it. Not like…

The Bike Messenger on Lexington Avenue

10261026 views22 comments11 fav

The Bike Messenger on Lexington Avenue Comes to rest taking a moment in the falling rain slowly massaging the veins at the top of his bald head Cracking his neck while the yellow cabs start honking behind him Unwilling to mov

New Carpet

15151515 views22 comments00 favs

How curious that the thought arrived first in Portuguese; perhaps, after so many years, he was finally becoming Brazilian.

The Book of Punishments

14411441 views33 comments11 fav

"Not a fan?" Beth asks, feeling a sliver of happiness move through her. He furrows his brow. "Then what brings you here?" "I'm here to pick up girls," Steve says simply. "Want to hit the buffet table? Want to run away to Mexico?"

OF ALL 2,000 YEARS

11501150 views66 comments44 favs

OF ALL 2,000 YEARS 10 Point The city after the snow was Medieval, the thousand paths wound as browsing deer. Inside her coat what wild heart. Lethe The beads were rolled-river at her throat, milk blue on a yellow string. I…

Cracking Open

18761876 views2525 comments1313 favs

Her addiction started with dry roasted nuts, and quickly jumped to peanuts. At her worst, she was consuming a large glass jar of peanuts daily. She loved while hating their salty taste and greasy feel, the repetition of tossing them into her mouth. …

The Last Story

16041604 views4747 comments2020 favs

The serious writer always knew there would be a last story but when the time came, he felt ill-prepared.

Last Call

11131113 views11 comment11 fav

It’s last call for the Class of 2001, their five-year reunion drawing to a close, and Brenner, in his standard t-shirt and holey jeans, has just arrived.

Love, Mortar

18561856 views66 comments55 favs

My love for you is like a brick. It sits silent in me when you bring out my food at the Dine and Dart, red tray aloft, your skin gleaming like grilled onions. My love is rough around the edges but solid through the center, fresh from the kiln. My love for you is…

6.0 in Eureka

885885 views11 comment11 fav

"Shit," said the Charge Nurse. "Not again."

Here is the thing. No one knows what it (actually) represents

966966 views33 comments22 favs

beyond knowing that when it hits you, you've been very much run over, and flattened like a stack of cardboard pancakes. I've seen it all before, and it works all right I guess. But my oh my, my, my oh thank you Jesus, to…

Undressing The Moon

939939 views33 comments00 favs

the white moon is dangling by a thread tonight you close your eyes and listen to it undress and suppress, suppress you listen to it undress while you yourself hang lifeless in your own arms not meaning to do yourself any harm, not

The Coming of the Apocalypse

13891389 views66 comments33 favs

The Operations Management Guru was visiting the twenty-fourth floor on Tuesday, and everyone at the company was wicked with fear.

porcelain

812812 views22 comments00 favs

And then, like all those nights before, she just fell asleep seducing me.