Most recent stories

The Madness of Mass Dance

929929 views44 comments22 favs

Outbreaks of mass communal dancing—sometimes referred to as “choreomania”—occurred in Europe with some frequency in Europe between the 14th and the 18th centuries.

This city like a squall

843843 views11 comment11 fav

Jackhammered men hollow out the building, cart away decade-old works of other men. Exterior walls stand. Rooms have been demolished. In another day see what came before progress. See trees. A squall is coming. Ask about the…

So Twinkle Made Lemonade

11361136 views1111 comments88 favs

“Just how many different animals try to hide their nakedness?” “Only one. And that'd be us, idiot.”, Twinkle responded. “Then, why don't we mind sometimes showing our bodies?”, she then asked. Twinkle could see it was going to be another…

Etude, Prelude, Nocturne, Polonaise

14771477 views2323 comments1515 favs

proving little more/ than the player’s keyboard dexterity.

Out in the Street

831831 views44 comments11 fav

As kids, we grew up in a city that we swore was suburbia. Nearly every street had a few houses with a kid or two that was missing their front teeth. There were kids we knew well and kids we'd wish we'd known but they lived a few…

Assiduity Twenty Five

983983 views33 comments33 favs

" . . . it's overcast with scattered rain along the Wabash River as I approach the federal correctional complex . . . "

Portrait of the Author as a Poet

951951 views22 comments11 fav

I am an awful poet.

Deerhead Puppets in the Forest

12441244 views22 comments00 favs

A spark is a gouged word: stewed to annihilate, scrambled, botched in a pot to dry. Lead us to the quiver, let us tremble. Noon, we paw nails under rugs, run fingertips over books, rip cupboards from hinges and spiral open the machine, for the creature is near the roof or…

Fish Eye

150150 views1010 comments66 favs

The only way to get better at this writing thing, thought Melvin...

Boring Boy

674674 views55 comments11 fav

Deslauriers taught that of the five derogatory items a girl could be—bitch, slut, tease, frigid, whore—tease was the worst. Having a German Shepherd at home protected Liz. My family had a cat, female and black.

Arcana Magi Pure Vol.3 - c.1

10771077 views00 comments00 favs

Emi stood up and turned to Mayumi. She did not know what else to say. There was a sense of helplessness.

Wild Garden

12561256 views55 comments33 favs

Even though it was late November, it still bloomed. Extravagantly. Obviously it had no shame, obviously it reveled in its own beauty.

Incantatory Plea to the Civic on Interstate 75

862862 views1010 comments77 favs

May the timing belt stand the stress again

Dancers: Summer '69

16841684 views2828 comments2424 favs

The locals cut stone in quarries, built elevators at the Cummins plant in Columbus, or brewed shine back in the hills between Bean Blossom and Gnaw Bone.

The Sporting Club

522522 views22 comments11 fav

There had been a whore house at the spot for a century, since the cowboys drove cattle up the Chisolm Trail to town, to be loaded onto boxcars bound for the Chicago stockyards.

Pals

11751175 views44 comments33 favs

There was a body in the backseat, and they drove through the highways at night to a late night radio show that played 80’s power ballads. He said: “I am really glad you’re here for me.”

Homeland Security

863863 views22 comments11 fav

By the time I got back to the island only Henson was still alive. He didn’t speak; the gun said it all.

Erase Her

15991599 views3030 comments2222 favs

I wake up in the morning and write her name on the white paper napkin I always place in front of me at the kitchen table as I have my first cup of coffee. I write it throughout the day. Twelve or fifteen times. I've done this for exactly twenty-three days. I always…

Necessary Heat

12631263 views55 comments22 favs

What is writing, Rick B.? You appear in your photo to be more handsome than your first brother. Sudden memory appears: "Question mark? Curvy: cock. Exclamation! Stiff: prick."

Spøgelse

10371037 views00 comments11 fav

Chet Baker mourns for you, New Coke mourns for you, Roddy Piper mourns for you, 8-track cassettes of Humble Pie and Bachman Turner Overdrive mourn for you

The Thief of Words

905905 views33 comments11 fav

That's my memory, kept and clutched as with a sixth sense, that it was a prim Oriental afternoon, with the pink streaks in the sky going God-knows-where down across the park, but very far away. Ghostly, melancholy travellers. Birds met and crashed headlong somewhere up…

Black Eyes, Blue Tears, and Dark Thoughts

12301230 views33 comments11 fav

At five a family relative took my life away from me and no one cared

Touchstone: Excerpt 6.

206206 views44 comments22 favs

Some places she knew better than others; some battle sites were more notable or more recent, and always the memories came back on the flood.

Krauts and Doubts

106106 views77 comments44 favs

Moral Dilemmas at Harvard

Nicotine Clouds and Depleting Oxygen

869869 views22 comments00 favs

I spent the summer of 2001 in disguise;

A Man More Like Your Mother

977977 views44 comments22 favs

Does he pack you a lunch when you're running late for work? Even when you're not running late? Does he insist on regular medical check-ups, for which he'll pay because you don't have insurance? Will he disapprove of your objectionable behavior, and not turn the…

Bendable

903903 views44 comments11 fav

“You're bendable,” he said, and then there was this silence as we looked into the space in front of us. I understood what he meant right off and thought it a gift to speak to someone that did not get the words exactly right, but in not doing so, got…

Tutorial Frustration

853853 views1010 comments77 favs

Incorrigible swine,

Searching

860860 views00 comments00 favs

The sun was bright, warm and blew through my hair like the wind.

Rocky 4

816816 views33 comments33 favs

Rocky looked iron-built, tall and lean, not round like April. Russian lawn ornament, I said, mistaking the thought as mine.