Most discussed stories

Mutants

14091409 views11 comment00 favs

Elin and I had religious differences about the garage. To her the garage required regular sweeping and organization--it was an extension of our house. Elin believed dust and mold to be manifestations of inner sin. I insisted that they were agents of evolu

questions, alas

733733 views11 comment11 fav

If in one instant of follie I plea to you What am I? would you then not ask yourselfwhat are We?Would you think maybe We are oneand I would ask to you my loveCan One, then, be transformed into Two? What is left of one after the sum?Can two be touched or…

Corporate Zombie Voodoo The rantings of a middle aged male against the corporate culture of America

12651265 views11 comment11 fav

This seems to be what happens to the Corporate Zombie Cowboys. They get eaten by their own Zombie Kings. The hardest part is I can see them coming, I am on the menu, and I cannot avoid them.

Wife is a four letter word

210210 views11 comment11 fav

And so is home.And so is cash.And so is bird.But that is neitherhere nor therebecause it is always flying.And so is nest.And so is gate.And so is shut.And if you add an sto three letter wordsyou get dogsand cats and kidsand so is pies because you have to…

Animals, Animals, Animals

14551455 views11 comment22 favs

  Crea grew up above a pet store and now she dreams of cats. There are too many of them to name, a slinking mess of calico, tabby, tortoise-shell, black and white. There are more each night. They whisper to her, words made of hissing mewls. During the…

Holy Adam and Saint Jason

10121012 views11 comment11 fav

“Where is my mom?” I think. I shouldn't have to be here alone. I am twenty two years old, strung-out on methamphetamine and sitting in a courtroom. It is the third day of the murder trial. My son was the victim. He was only two and his…

Red Line

720720 views11 comment11 fav

The train it was Quiet people asleep It was 4:30 am. I lost her face with the wind. She never gave me her I never asked for her Number she …

Office Politics

22422242 views11 comment11 fav

The summer of 1974, between high school and college, I got my first real job, paid corporate employment. My mother couldn't stand having me underfoot, sitting around all day, watching TV. She drove me in the family station wagon to a temporary secretarial agency. I told…

Bottle in a Vase

666666 views11 comment11 fav

I woke up and rolled over to look at my clock. Realizing I was not in my bed, I looked around the dark room for any clock. There on the ceiling, the time was displayed in red digital numbers. 5:30 am. I stayed at a friend's…

The Plinktonians

12191219 views11 comment11 fav

Brian had spent the morning filling out applications all over Knox County, and by noon he was more than ready to call it a day. But apparently there was one last squirt of virtue in him, because heading home he saw a Help…

The Garage

535535 views11 comment00 favs

My life accelerated by grime in my father’s garage.

Regret

13781378 views11 comment11 fav

Pushing his jeans down around his ankles, he knelt, and pressed his moist dipstick against my hole. “Do you always do this on a first date?” he said

An Unheeded Return

11871187 views11 comment11 fav

On an over­cast and humid day in August, Jesus—with Dad’s per­mis­sion, of course—decided to make his grand return.

Monolith

11251125 views11 comment11 fav

She seems to be demanding someone donate to her a beard. No one has gone any further with this, and the electricity of her song about beards, listing, growing more undulant, crescendos.

From the Writer's Diary

696696 views11 comment11 fav

I must pause in his discourse to step outside and relieve myself...

Great Rift Valley

11701170 views11 comment22 favs

she shivered in the ceasefire like a virginal nude brought to life.

A Visitor

654654 views11 comment00 favs

A man came to my door today. He said little and invited himself in. He only stood in the doorway, a bit menacingly, if you ask me. He was dressed very darkly in a long grey coat and hat, and seemed bent on not allowing the light of day to pass through (he

A Poem Written About You Because I Missed You

625625 views11 comment00 favs

what i will always remember of you is of that singular sunday / when a black lock of hair brushed against your cheek

You've Done Good

11751175 views11 comment11 fav

For a fleeting moment, eyes seemed to clear and the man spoke as if he were coming out of the pea soup fog that formed over the lake on spring mornings.

Fragments

825825 views11 comment00 favs

Your insincere smile, eyes drowning in kohl. Sweat and sweet talcum, and the maroon cashmere stole.

Standing aloof

724724 views11 comment00 favs

I think it cumbersome to walk within a darkened room. Too awkwardly uncouth, for one with such a corpulent frame, to hug the hungry. It weighs one down, to wave airily, to wildlings By cages, and pain, made tame. Best to look away, than…

Demons

670670 views11 comment00 favs

Michael had become quite accustomed to his morning routine. He woke at seven, made his coffee, and stepped onto the front porch with a steaming cup and a fresh cigarette. He sat there for ten minutes or so, watching the neighborhood prepare for their d

Jazz Torn

995995 views11 comment11 fav

Lungs bursting in the alleyways trying to keep with the beat.

The Spirit Upwelling

17411741 views11 comment11 fav

Too late, I feel a bite under my left heel, but before I can look, I blunder into Robert and Paul rolling across the bedroom floor. They knock me over like a bowling pin, and I grab Robert’s hands and try to pull them from around his father’s neck.

Death Comes To Visit

11771177 views11 comment00 favs

He was almost dying when I reached the hospital. I walked past the open automatic sliding doors into the lobby, almost vacant except a few people milling around, the nurses fighting sleep behind the desks while waiting for their shift to end.

Human Movement

695695 views11 comment11 fav

Blobbing the safety tarmac with human glue

Tournament Legend

784784 views11 comment00 favs

Man I can hit a shot from forty feet. Snap! No rim. You can’t.

Scents

11351135 views11 comment11 fav

"Ah, finally the rain stopped pouring!" She opens the window to let the sticky air out of the house. The colours outside have changed. The air is clear and the sky turns into light pink while the sun is drowning at the horizon. She takes a deep breath. The…

Wayne Recalls Rocking and the Power of Positive Thinking

10621062 views11 comment11 fav

My mother told me I came out of her screaming and didn’t stop for two years. After that I took up rocking.

Come to the Park

11041104 views11 comment11 fav

Come to the park and swing with me, sing with me.