Most discussed stories

Island Music

11061106 views11 comment11 fav

Of all the things Shelly hated about her job, the music was the worst.

Leaving Home

996996 views11 comment00 favs

it is heavier than it looks with edges smoothed by the passage of time

The Fool on the Hill

959959 views11 comment22 favs

It is wonderful to talk to Mick Jagger in his hotel room. He is absolutely charming, and the women filling the room seem as natural as the sound of rain or the play of sunlight.

You're Breathing My Relapse

10161016 views11 comment22 favs

I was an alcoholic for ten years, starting in my early twenties and continuing into my thirties. Then finally, after many attempts, I got myself straightened out. My son's birth finally did it for me. It wasn't like a switch flipped in the delivery room…

The Secret to Everything

397397 views11 comment11 fav

You were still holding yourself In your own arms, when I first found you You were so fresh No thunder had ever spoken your name No lightning lit up your veins I continued to have the feeling of you Between my dream muscles and my lack of s

Brooklyn Bridge

698698 views11 comment00 favs

I’m walking funny but only comedians notice.

getting there

994994 views11 comment00 favs

Seems hot for a Thursday, doesn’t it?

The Man who was followed by butterflies

10981098 views11 comment00 favs

They hovered and darted but, after a while, they seemed to be always around him. Lapping at him like the mellow waves that stroked the muddy bank.

Woman without Time

12211221 views11 comment11 fav

The men who have come to take me have science on their side. I know this is true, and yet I sit on the same bed I've had since girlhood, unable to move myself to pack even a pair of socks. What does one wear at the asylum anyway? Pajamas? Certainly my suits will be useless.…

No. Please, No . . .

14891489 views11 comment00 favs

["LIKE SAND THROUGH THE HOURGLASS ... SO ... ARE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES!"]

Ramblers and Spinners

20402040 views11 comment11 fav

IT SNOWED all day the Monday after Thanksgiving. After supper and homework, my brother, Will, and I sat in the narrowly opened window of the second floor apartment where we lived and watched the older kids run their bicycles down Sweet's Hill and hit their brakes at…

The Billygoat: A Beast Fable

13491349 views11 comment11 fav

“I will become a respected novelist!” proclaimed Billy.

Good morning, Mr. Mourning!

11801180 views11 comment00 favs

Now, I am getting angry! Now you want me depressed too! GET OUT! GET OUT!

Untitled Haiku from Japanese Game Show by JANEY SMITH

10131013 views11 comment11 fav

It's a haiku. It's its own snippet.

Ordinary People

15651565 views11 comment33 favs

While I didn’t like to see Courtney swat smokes out of his mouth and admonish him, saying “Cigarettes. Bad. Fire. Bad,” her home was such a beautiful place, with its real wood and two TV and all...

Baby Teak

11011101 views11 comment11 fav

Baby Teak can access Wikipedia by rubbing two xylophone mallets together.

Valentine query

884884 views11 comment11 fav

Did I flirt first?

The Problem With Oils

718718 views11 comment00 favs

If you were a painter, and I a poet, we could have conversations about Picasso and Bukowski, and how neither one took a sober breath.

Turbidity

770770 views11 comment11 fav

"The poem is always married to someone.” —René Char I've been out of my mind twice in my life.Sicilian uncles have no concept of this,they are too strong in their weakmindedness. The first time it happened I ignored it,told myself to relish the brief,…

How To Break A Toe In One Easy Step

13391339 views11 comment11 fav

Life is hard and toes are fragile, which means that by the time you reach middle age, you've probably broken one. Or two. I recently broke a toe when I got out of bed in the middle of the night and tripped over a shoe. When friends and family consoled me with…

Main Street

394394 views11 comment00 favs

You know when you see the flashing blue lights in your rearview mirror that you're not being pulled over because of a busted taillight or carelessly doing fifty in a thirty-five mile an hour school zone; your crime is being a Black man behind the wheel. It happens often…

Struggle Has Ended

862862 views11 comment00 favs

Shh! What? The downstairs neighbors. They’re at it again. What? It’s the weekend? They’re both home? Oh. Remember? I think so. Sort of. Shh! What’s that grunting? He must be doing the heavy lifting. Sounds like he’s hurt

To Hit a Woman (Lightly)

13341334 views11 comment11 fav

Tension slipped from my grip on the dagger as my legs and faith fell apart.

Abel in the Bar by the Youth Hostel

11221122 views11 comment11 fav

“It felt like the space under my skin had been filled with desert sand. I did not open my eyes for my body was covered with the dust. A camel could have walked over me and not noticed. I needed to wipe my eyes before I could open them and my body was froz

Grocery Deliveries

11671167 views11 comment00 favs

I was shooting baskets in the driveway when the Mexican kid delivered the groceries. He drove in fast and loud . . .

Smells Like Burning

10251025 views11 comment11 fav

Stanley had a crush on Sarah. They were in Ms. Goldman's freshman chemistry class together fifth period. That day they were working on homework at Sarah's house while her parents were gone. Stanley was in heaven.“Break time!” Sarah woke Stanley from daydreaming,…

On Strike in the City

755755 views11 comment11 fav

The first day of the Steamfitters and Pipewranglers Local 175 strike was exhilarating. Every man (accurate; there were no women in the union) showed his support outside the Willgarden High Rise Corporation's company headquarters on Fifth Avenue, shaking unreadable signs…

Dateline: Dumbass

912912 views11 comment11 fav

Take a ride past Larry Crane’s 'Jackpot!' recording studio — right here! in the neighborhood! where Sleater-Kinney recorded 'One Beat' and Elliott Smith 'either/or' and Sarah Dougher 'The Walls Ablaze!' woo hoo! — and the kids are singing karaoke.

A Proper Passsing

814814 views11 comment00 favs

He trudged up the steep, antique, spiral staircase to his study. Many hours had been spent in the sanctuary of this room, studying, praying, sleeping; however, now his intentions were much different.

youre wrong // im right (curiosity)

708708 views11 comment00 favs

"Stop it! Don't fucking touch me! I fucking hate you! I'll call the cops! I'll never forgive you for this!"