Most discussed stories

Eidetic (from OPEN CITY Magazine Number 16)

14671467 views11 comment11 fav

Who do you think are the true intellectuals? I'm a fan of both Gore Vidal and Harold Bloom although most people can't stand either of them. George Plimpton is interesting...

The Catcher in the Rye -What Happens Next-

12901290 views11 comment11 fav

I bet if I went back, Old Stradlater would still be combing his gorgeous locks in front of the same goddam mirror.

Saguaro Poem

11581158 views11 comment00 favs

I thought I would write a poemAbout a saguaro trying to please God The saguaro would spend a hundred yearsGrowing an arm and offering flowers in its fist —God barely notices. The saguaro flowers a crown for God.More arms. God then loses his patience…

The Pope of Rock and Roll

513513 views11 comment11 fav

Pope Leo XIII endorsed a cocaine-based drink and at the age of 90 sat in on a session with a castrato that is still available on CD.

Change of Heart

925925 views11 comment00 favs

They pumped him full of electricity and waited.

Affair

855855 views11 comment11 fav

No clouds No rain

Lunch With Harriet

10501050 views11 comment11 fav

she felt something warm and wet on her ankle and it was producer #1's green tongue and he was still sitting down behind the table and it traveled slickly and caressed her calf with a sensuousness she wouldn't have thought something so ugly could possess

Myra's Middle Name

10821082 views11 comment11 fav

Maybe our whole generation is going to hell, but I’m not getting any younger or better looking. Life’s too short for the missionary position.

The Ridgeline: Day 1

954954 views11 comment00 favs

The first burned slowly in the distance. I built a small fire to keep warm. Snow covered the area as far as the eye could see. The sun burned bright in the sky above and the mountains disappeared onto the horizon. My gear had some wear and tear from t

Women With Colds and the Men Who Love Them

707707 views11 comment00 favs

“This is when things pick up with the ‘stuffies,’” says Sergeant Jim Hampy of the Vice Squad. “They lie low during the summer, then come back when cold and flu season starts.”

Cat Haikus

961961 views11 comment11 fav

You have more names Than a Spanish grandee. Your lives I’m too envious to count.

WikiGreen (a semi-found poem)

987987 views11 comment11 fav

Green is the color of emeralds, jade, and growing grass. In the continuum of colors of visible light it is located between yellow and blue. Green is the color mostShades of green desireIn the Category: Shades of green Green politics meet…

Cache

819819 views11 comment11 fav

Could I cache your kisses?

A Handsome Boy Spends a Wednesday

10541054 views11 comment22 favs

It distresses me that you will never lust after me / the way you did for that girl / who had her hands around your belt

For An Age That Needs No Patience

238238 views11 comment11 fav

Beyond the tattered flags of nature.Beyond all my love examines.Beyond the courtyard of Man's fever.Stands your mind of famines.More or less eclipsedby the darkness of my betters.I lay now down to ruinthe art of unsigned letters.To bypass Common Man'spremature…

A Frog in a Well

15491549 views11 comment11 fav

Ikkyu liked coming over especially at dinner. I'm a great cook and even though he no longer needed to eat himself, the idea of a sumptuous meal and a nice bottle of wine appealed to him. We'd commune about the poetry of karma flowers, seafood, and women, he in his robes and…

The Lady and the Boy

753753 views11 comment00 favs

The aftermath of a lady's adultery.

ALL THOSE YEARS

904904 views11 comment11 fav

Joseph and his little brother, Kevin, were there again. Kevin was too small to understand what had happened yet. He would usually just go off, running around the statues and playing with the wreaths; the last time they'd visited he climbed a tree and broke one of the…

Solar

12621262 views11 comment11 fav

Trollo Martinez was wearing a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses and an old LA Community College T-Shirt. He needed to find some water so he could down the 5milligram tab of Ritalin in the palm of his hand.

A headline for Amy Hempel

585585 views11 comment11 fav

I shall go with german rules of capitalization in titles today.

Empty Pockets

926926 views11 comment11 fav

We dance on rooftop, then I fall off.You're like, "oh shit."Pale blue lobster finds me. Says, "hello." Taps me with claw, "wake up." Looks around, concerned. Shakes me with two claws on collar.Scuttles away for a second.Comes back with warm, perfect, round glazed doughnut.…

Us Kids in Left Field

987987 views11 comment00 favs

Us kids in left field steal out bedroom windows after dark to pinch hit Lucky Strikes between first and second fingers, arc the glow of shop-lifted hot-boxed cigarettes over the chain link homerun fence sprawl on perfectly ridiculous grass passing a bottle…

Dog of the Day

10951095 views11 comment00 favs

At her words I smiled amidst my teary eyes. Nick’s fingers moved between my right hand fingers, while to my left I scratched at Rodger’s puppy fuzz on her neck and ears. She exhaled and lay down, placing her head in my lap.

Michael & The Reaper

13271327 views11 comment22 favs

That sound. Bone against bone. Skin across skin. Blood fraying into the unknown dark. He loved that sound.

Shuffle

863863 views11 comment00 favs

Something is clearly wrong with them and we're supposed to socialize them.

Red Lady Octopus

999999 views11 comment11 fav

I hand one of them the octopus and run out of the room.

Moon

763763 views11 comment00 favs

Watch the moon hang with methough miles and miles apart.Over sea and rock and railwaysforever in my heart.

Me and Coleridge Take a Spin in the Phlegethon

10251025 views11 comment11 fav

Like so many high school drugheads I warmed up to Coleridge because he was an dope fiend. If you want to get young men interested in poetry it helps if you lure them to the art through controlled substances.

Every Time a Bell Rings

11101110 views11 comment00 favs

I could feel the old house skulking in the shadows. In the basement I used to play in the dark, shine a flashlight on the angular black widows creeping in the corners, feed them ants and silverfish and flies with the wings pulled off so the web wouldn’

Holding It In

834834 views11 comment00 favs

I really need to go to the bathroom.