Recommended stories

on Fox River

678678 views22 comments00 favs

We are on Fox River and I am in the dark water swimming naked beside Rick DeMille with my white skin glowing as we come up behind you and Sharon in your dad’s ski boat sitting silent in the water, and I can hear Sharon whimpering, “Oh, Jesus! Jesus!” as

Ode to the Monterey Peninsula

102102 views22 comments00 favs

Ode to the Monterey PeninsulaWe love…to stand on Lovers Point in the early morning watching when the waves break how water droplets rise to form fleeting rainbows.to walk by Hawk Tower in the early evening imagining Robinson Jeffers…

Trade-Offs

10881088 views11 comment00 favs

Smiling, holding hands, Joe and Lara basked in the sunshine of the mid January day as they approached the diner. The temperature was warm enough for golf. Joe had played in far colder weather in spring and fall.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 39

994994 views00 comments11 fav

Ben followed Jean-Claude’s white Fiat. Every time Ben shifted gears, he was reminded of Arris’s punch.

Future

961961 views22 comments00 favs

Just thinking aloud, really. And by aloud, I mean typing for someone to read haha.

A Time for Beer

612612 views11 comment00 favs

He lives a simple life, the docks, an occasional woman of questionable morals and brewskis.

Compression

808808 views22 comments00 favs

A fabulous compression.

The beginning of the end

747747 views00 comments00 favs

(...) I know my eyes are shut and I’m on the kitchen floor but I see her and I’m not confused. (...)

A Man, a Market and a Mayor

779779 views22 comments00 favs

He sat on the floor and said, "I found this letter W in the jungle. It's b-b-beautiful,"

The Cobbler and the King

28352835 views00 comments00 favs

“Mortal,” it said, and its voice made the cobbler’s soul tremble. “Why do you disturb our peace? It is late, and you should be abed.”

The Ringlet: Part III

710710 views22 comments00 favs

The sand was covered with shards of mirror glass, which reflected the bright sun in myriads of twinkling daylight stars.

Literal-Minded Parents Seek Irony-Free School Zones

961961 views22 comments00 favs

“I don't cotton much to some of the johnnie-come-lately's we get around here,” says Graham Buchter. “They're a bunch of talkers—they wear me out.”

Deadheading

11301130 views11 comment00 favs

No matter how much he composes and prepares, he cannot override the electrical trigger in his brain. Something to do with the resonance of physical memory. It remembers amplitudes of current.

Burger King Blues

10051005 views11 comment00 favs

Read signs sometimes and you just might get where you're trying to go. When Eddie suggested they stop for a Whopper, Dennis said no. "Fuck Burger King, man. Let's get that Wendy's up there." They got…

Carpe Mentis

980980 views11 comment00 favs

machine utility of thought, intangible aesthetic of sentiment.

Waiting for Fireworks

10781078 views00 comments11 fav

I take her hand. More grey dust rolls off the arms, over the railing, into the wind. It’s embarrassing and I let go. I think she told me to throw them away months ago. I rub her bare thigh. She laughs real soft like. The corner of her lip curls up.

Calling the Nurse

778778 views00 comments00 favs

The coffee cup was still full. Black hot steaming smoke signals climbed toward the ceiling, like blowing soot out of dirty bagpipe lungs. The mug exhaled constant and slow like the Fall, until room temperature crept from the handle around…

Sundays

808808 views11 comment00 favs

First was the end of the month Sunday morning picnic. Well, Not first - there was more. Something Before then. But, You looked different with wind in your Hair and Never the same again. The mud on your skirt matched my thoughts. You'd fallen, I'm sure, and I…

The Lady and the Boy

751751 views11 comment00 favs

The aftermath of a lady's adultery.

Weld (St. Petersburg Blues)

944944 views11 comment00 favs

There's one graveyard for the part-timers and another for the full-timers. Ours is a little nicer, but we're still all going to hell. Do you remember St. Petersburg? No, you're memory's not that good.

Upper East

10071007 views11 comment00 favs

As the 5 train gained momentum away from Fulton Street, Helen took her seat with the alertness and suspicion of someone who had spent the day negotiating prices with dirty fishmongers.

You Do Not Exult Over the Held-Out Heart

707707 views22 comments00 favs

You can’t know everything you want to know, about anyone. (Especially about me!) You can’t even know everything you want to know about Sharon, and I probably know more than you do. In fact, I’m sure I do. For instance, did you know about that guy

Boston Artists Fight Gentrification, One SUV at a Time

608608 views11 comment00 favs

"I'm dreading it," says Kati Rivers, a visual artist who has lived in the Fort Point Channel district. "A bunch of fat suburbanites driving up rents and crowding creative people out of the little cafes and bistros."

Sealing off the Exits

18491849 views11 comment00 favs

Jasmine invited herself over and plopped herself on my futon. "Let's fuck," she said, bluntly. "I want to."

Minus Mammalian Skin

863863 views00 comments11 fav

It's soundless, but they're saying please, don't let it hurt, don't let us be consumed by the air, don't let it be madness. My muscles tense in bare rhythm.

The $64,000 Question

994994 views11 comment00 favs

One day over a hardscrabble dinner of gristly beef and lumpy mashed potatoes, his uncle looked up at him and said, “Kee-rist, boy, school’s gonna start any day now. And winter ain’t far behind. I can’t keep you here. We gotta figure out something for you.

Status Update

808808 views11 comment00 favs

I can't tell a cigarette from a cheese sandwich as I stare vacantly into the synthetic sunshine of my laptop. Jump up a few lines to add a comma to show the possession of clocks they do belong to people after all. I sip my coffee from a novelty mug, ho

The Summer They Walked On the Moon

713713 views22 comments00 favs

That summer I fucked Kathi R. from Wheaton, as much as I could. She called me Professor Obsessor. She was short and practically without tits, but must have had the longest arms, because she could somehow reach down around my ass while I was on top and she

Blind date

943943 views11 comment00 favs

“I'll have the Ribeye cooked medium rare,” says Bill, who looks over at Julia, blonde hair and disarming smile, and he thinks that she's not bad for a blind date. He doesn't like the way she butters her roll, however, and it agitates him that she spreads…

The Great San Francisco Poetry Wars, 2

832832 views22 comments00 favs

A large crowd of students began to gather around the base of the building that housed the administrative offices, where my hearing was being held. The meeting room was up on the second floor.