Most recent stories

Distractus Refractus Ontologicus: The Dissemination of Michael Martone

15941594 views55 comments22 favs

1 Michael Martone is Michael Martone. 1.1 Michael Martone begins, middles, and ends Michael Martone.

A Marriage of Bodies

11261126 views11 comment11 fav

In sleep their bodies drift between the sheets until they find each other.

what you do best

16121612 views66 comments44 favs

You're auditioning women to replace Gabrielle.

Baby Love

27182718 views1919 comments1313 favs

She wanted one, she said. She wanted one who looked like me. I wanted one, because I wanted her. I wanted her for everything; I wanted her to fill every crack and space inside of me.

Better than Chocolate

16021602 views77 comments44 favs

Teddy laughs like a machine gun. People back away when they hear him. Every time I see him at work, I try to make his skinny body rattle. I would never back away.

September Morning

15521552 views22 comments33 favs

Helen’s mind is not on business. It’s on a pinpoint, a potential, a something so microscopic it’s more a nothing. In her center, it hums.

Blueberries

15541554 views66 comments11 fav

Cold water shocked Ernest's face. The evening with Gracie had his nerves hot and popping. She was his fifth date and the closest to his memory of Sadie in college so far. He looked up at himself in the bathroom mirror with his mouth agape. Redness flooded…

We Talk in a Roundabout Way

15481548 views1313 comments66 favs

You are a boy with a birthday bike smiling like our son, standing in a photograph surrounded by other sons, who turn rocks over and over, who keep snakes in plastic bread bags, who find the bones of something wild in the woods. You smile that way still.

Unattended (novel excerpt)

17161716 views66 comments22 favs

A sticky glass. An open copy of Outside magazine. A flat part of the meadow that reeked of blood and cologne. A dog (my dog) hidden in the closet, shivering so hard the hangers jangled.

Hello and Thank You!

11191119 views00 comments00 favs

She didn’t think of herself as an undesirable, no, she didn’t, but did find herself cowering in face of the presumed judgment of those around her. They had more money, more clout, more everything.

Officer Friendly

14031403 views66 comments44 favs

The last time Ray and I broke up, I flew my flag at half-mast. It was the kind of thing that pissed him off. He was very big on flag etiquette: how the flag should be folded, the fact that it should never touch the ground, when to fly it at half-mast, the rules regarding…

Breach of Faith

16461646 views33 comments11 fav

You love your wife and would never do anything to hurt her. In thirteen years of marriage you’ve never been unfaithful, never done more than glance at another woman. Until tonight. Tonight you got lucky. Oh God, how you got lucky!

I know a moustache

16361636 views33 comments33 favs

“Hey there!/ Here I am, a fucking moustache!/ I’m the biggest damn moustache/ you’ll ever see

Hitler's Mustache

26352635 views33 comments22 favs

“Where do you want your mustache?” Melanie asked. “You can have it on the side, you know, or, if you prefer, across your labia, in which case it will also look like a cross?”

Universal

10201020 views22 comments11 fav

For the sake of convenience, we must assume that everything ugly is evil. Lightning rejuvenates. Sulfur preserves. The obvious solution is dismemberment. The ghost appears to Ludwig; “How can you destroy my creation?”

Animals, Animals, Animals

14051405 views11 comment22 favs

  Crea grew up above a pet store and now she dreams of cats. There are too many of them to name, a slinking mess of calico, tabby, tortoise-shell, black and white. There are more each night. They whisper to her, words made of hissing mewls. During the…

On Our Way

16301630 views55 comments33 favs

  They met on a bus. The bus got lost. He had corn chips. She had a tuna sandwich. They shared. “This is good,” he said. “Did you make this?” …

Robert Kennedy Remembered by Jean Baudrillard

29142914 views66 comments44 favs

K is eating a banana. He says to me, "There is no end in the sense that God is dead, or history is dead. I would prefer not to play the role of a thoroughly useless prophet. I leave that to others, like Gene McCarthy."

Kurosawa's Rain

13321332 views22 comments22 favs

The rain fell from the roof. It fell from my voice and and my eyes. Toshiro's Kukichiro stomped gutshot through the mud with his katana. Young and beautiful, Mifumi died there on the screen though he doesn't really die for fifty or more years, they think from something…

My Most Humble Request

20122012 views1414 comments66 favs

Do not shake the baby. Shake the martini. That’s what martinis are for.

I'm Still Here

911911 views22 comments00 favs

During the night and in the fog of halfsleep Ben shifted and felt the weight of Miranda gone from him, the bed empty. In the quiet of the house he thought he heard a footstep and the soft shutting of a door, and as his eyes searched the dark he…

AFTER

880880 views11 comment00 favs

Two lovers — their genders / faces / social identities / etc. up to the viewer’s imagination (though I caution you, dear reader, not to imagine yourself in this role due to the psychic intensity of the following passages) — writhe against each other

Arroyo Vista

20232023 views33 comments44 favs

In some parts of town, people are not allowed to grow vegetables because of the plutonium used in the Lab. Three local parks were recently found to be contaminated.

The Shadow People

11351135 views55 comments11 fav

Two summers later, the ritual began. Carol left her house at midnight, having served her husband and daughter a heavy dinner that left them caged in their sleep. She was like a thief working in reverse: she rose from bed with her husband’s first snore,

Criminals

13411341 views44 comments11 fav

What about the goons? Those criminals thwarted and left for dead in every action movie for the past thirty years. I'm sure at least a dozen survived the slaughters. I'm sure at least one or two came out if it reformed. This one who quit working for Columbian drug smugglers…

Everything is Fine

26132613 views1313 comments1111 favs

        The first one was dark and angular, coiled-looking inside an expensive suit.  Over her food at a small table in the hotel bar, Francesca had been unable to look at anything else but him.  Out of the suit, unsprung on a king-sized hotel bed, his skin…

Of Soulful Cheese and Melted Needs

14061406 views55 comments11 fav

Two fine-young-things scan the menu board of In-N-Out Burger off Interstate 101. Dressed like twins -- hoop earrings, tank-tops and mini-skirts, ballet pumps — you could hardly tell them apart, except for their Cleopatra and Marilyn Manson hairstyles. As they…

Shit May Come And Shit May Go, But A Good Tarpaulin Can Last Forever

10591059 views00 comments00 favs

It happens. Someone blows something off, someone else forgives it, then tat for tit and verse visa, and you’re missing someone’s wedding because you thought it was Thursday and they didn’t mention it to you anywy, but you’re still BFF and don’t

Four Days before Thanksgiving, Boston to Colorado

13061306 views55 comments44 favs

The daughter's trip, a travail, cross country; the painkillers were not the finisher mom needed—and the white sheets of the institution were too thin to provide her any comfort as she dreamt of swimming; a backstroke suspended over a waterless pool.Her father…

The Love Story of Me (non-fiction and should be disqualified)

21772177 views88 comments77 favs

To find myself in a straight relationship which challenges my communications skills and tries my patience while improving my status among my peers and family.