Most read stories

Main Street

348348 views11 comment00 favs

You know when you see the flashing blue lights in your rearview mirror that you're not being pulled over because of a busted taillight or carelessly doing fifty in a thirty-five mile an hour school zone; your crime is being a Black man behind the wheel. It happens often…

"victim"

348348 views1818 comments1111 favs

.

One Of These Dreams ...

347347 views99 comments66 favs

Imagine a morning without dawn, without daylight ... The night birds still hoot, the flowers wait for the light to change their make-up, black birds have locked their beaks. A morning unlike any other ... The moon above continues to reign over the milky way, the stars to…

I'm Not Emilio Estevez

346346 views1313 comments77 favs

Here was the situation, as I recounted it to myself: somehow, I was trapped in some unearthly dimension where Baltimore, actor Emilio Estevez, and myself had somehow collided in a big cartoon scrum complete with onomatopoeias and clouds of dust.

THE HAUNTED MICROWAVE by Stephen King

345345 views22 comments11 fav

[Boy, was this a hard night!]

The Year of the Cat

344344 views22 comments22 favs

And it is pouring cats and dogs on a California afternoonoff the corner of Sunset and Highland.Droplets of sorrow drip down our foreheadas our eyelashes bash back the rain.A woman hands us free tickets to the Merv Griffin show.The bus is about to leave without us.We take…

Jukebox

343343 views1515 comments1010 favs

Once a psychologist told me a story

Concrete

343343 views1313 comments1010 favs

The man who makes the noose

The Hair and The Whore

342342 views2828 comments1818 favs

Every time they said Gloria I turned around but of course they meant Gloria Steinem.

Ghostwriters!

340340 views55 comments44 favs

(Sung to the melody of "Ghostbusters")When your prose is weakMetaphors clichésWho you gonna callGhostwriters!Characters they speakNot much to sayWho you gonna callGhostwriters!I ain't ‘fraid of no rejectionI ain't ‘fraid of no rejectionLyin' in your bedImagination soarsWho…

Control

339339 views44 comments22 favs

Paul and Mary Jo lived in an apartment at the top of a long, dark flight of stairs that were so high, I remember as if it were yesterday thinking, the night she pushed him down the stairs, he would surely be dead by the time he hit the landing at the…

Assholes

338338 views5353 comments2222 favs

Assholes are assholes who do asshole things.

a face made of glass

337337 views1111 comments77 favs

.

NG

335335 views44 comments33 favs

So how do I know all this about Sammy, you ask? I’m getting to that...

falling, endlessly

335335 views11 comment11 fav

Clouds quickly appeared, in a perfect peach sky. Big, puffy clouds, moving together, formed the shape of a heart.

Left On The Scrap Heap

335335 views44 comments33 favs

Daylight and cold sensed as an abstract, a number in my mind. Air thin, polluted, lacking oxygen. But the Recyclers are at it again.

Harmony in D Major

334334 views55 comments22 favs

What shattering tranquility! Such a devastating hush! The flora in its element, the sky a flaccid red. Dreaming just a little, more or less awake, the people shift, capitulate, move like animated trees, dropping their leaves on pathways, on subtle …

Circus Metamorphosis

333333 views88 comments55 favs

Such pretty dogma, a voice in sleepstutters a wakefulness, clings to the Gothiclike a warrior clings to war.You wear the gown of impossibility.Before unfinished works of suns,perpetual irises, wonderful, mad,armed with such superlativesI heap praise upon your pineal…

Xmas Story

333333 views44 comments22 favs

The conspicuous police car was conspicuously just ahead.

We Shall Not Go Unheard

333333 views33 comments22 favs

I am human, I am no piece of meat.I am (womb)an.I stand on my own two feet.I move my own arms and legs.I do not scramble eggsnor do I wait for the telephone to ringfrom possibly potential datesdesperate for my affections,none of them remotely worthy.Independent am I. …

City Fragment Thru A Fractured Lens

332332 views22 comments11 fav

I Tinseled nebulae scatter, couples dance the dance of meridians, as seekers of that dream that does not seek; but so are we, but sense everything shall become antique, that the tragic is everything. Reverent this loneliness. Giving…

Blonde Woman with Sunglasses

331331 views22 comments11 fav

Sometimes everything becomes as meaningless as a blonde woman with sunglasses. Still, there is something reassuring about the blonde woman with sunglasses, as she sits there alien to any regime, while I build my new empire of vanilla ice cream, so…

Masters

330330 views77 comments44 favs

"... he with much to teach, I who had much to learn..."

diversion

329329 views77 comments44 favs

x

Wacky at Work.

328328 views00 comments00 favs

["Why can't we just look the other way ... ?"-Interpol, on the radio]

point

327327 views77 comments44 favs

---

Hey, Orpheus, Don't Look Back, Dude

325325 views44 comments11 fav

Graduates, I've seen the future of this world and it has had part of its brain removed.

Elephant.

324324 views1616 comments1010 favs

How could he care less what those below thought, when everything below him was demonstrably beneath him?

Fantasy of Hands

324324 views1111 comments55 favs

.

Star-eater; a poem

323323 views55 comments44 favs

Star-eaterHere lies the star-eater.Tilting on the ancient wheelof summer-glaze-breath,you speak the oceans. Fire's the mealfor you, the star-eater. You defy death,and out of your mouth, a universe openspouring forth, as fleet as the starslight on your tongue. Space…