Most read stories

Heavyweight

973973 views22 comments22 favs

That afternoon, after I'd swallowed that weight. Felt like a sinker, one of those weights that fishermen attach to their line to make sure the line goes down far enough. Go down far enough there, and I'll find it. That's what I was on about, that I had…

The Anchorman

972972 views00 comments00 favs

Welcome back to our ongoing coverage of what we mean when we say "Tsunami: A Very Bad Thing."

Hooves on the Sand

972972 views00 comments00 favs

It was a bright day in April, the cruelest month, and the gears and pumps of the train beat on into the still air.

The Babies

972972 views55 comments55 favs

We jam into the green tent as it begins to rain. His casket is covered with flowers and there is the picture you took of him, the day you climbed the fire tower from where you could see forever, past his smiling face the bars and a million changing leaves.His pregnant girl…

Do the Shogun Moon

972972 views1111 comments66 favs

Heel to toe, our bunions are our ingrown medals.

The Second Confession

972972 views33 comments11 fav

Most people come to dislike me because of the things I say.

Family First

972972 views33 comments11 fav

“Don’t do this Jack. You are better than this.” He pleaded. My lips curled, “Maybe I am, but you’re not.” I spat. I lifted up his delicate frame and threw him back against the wall of his office. I watched as his head bounced off the decorative brick

Encore

972972 views77 comments44 favs

...something in her raw vulnerability and daring beauty drove these men wild...

Turkey Day

972972 views22 comments22 favs

Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house they went, Will and his new girlfriend Emma from Atlanta for the annual family dinner and drunken disaster in Allendale.

Not Another Day In The Machine.

972972 views00 comments00 favs

I A sparklerman zig-zagged across the skies, re-arranging stars in its path. How bright his stick-like and jaggy limbs twinkle, I noticed; even noticing my surprise. No longer 'simply sitting', I was. 'It is time' I mumbled. The room was melting, si

Prologue - On the Lips of Children

972972 views22 comments11 fav

Their tongues were dry, her milk was gone, and the last bit of water in the plastic jug had evaporated.

Walking To Gibraltar, Chapter 9: In Which A Cause Is Proffered

972972 views00 comments00 favs

"I think you're a great candidate for a sentinel node biopsy," said Dr. Kartes. They sat in the small, dark office. On the sofa, not touching. She still wouldn't take his hand.

Out of the Woods

972972 views33 comments33 favs

No, your clever costume won’t protect you.

Scent of danger

972972 views1010 comments55 favs

Sitting in the SUV awaiting the trooper behind us I felt a warning tingle.

My Brother's House

972972 views33 comments00 favs

The last time my old lady threw me out, I decided to go and stay with my brother. I thought, "That's the last place I'll be welcome," and I knew that was true. The drive was calming, which was good, because Steven wouldn't have even let me in if I…

Feb 5

972972 views66 comments44 favs

He peels the garlic while I stir the lentils; he chops the cilantro while I peel kale leaf from stem. Also, the rings. Also, no one is going anywhere.

Dead Batteries

972972 views33 comments33 favs

She woke before the sun was up to brew a pot of coffee. His eyes blinked open as he lay in bed smiling, smelling the fresh coffee mixed with marijuana smoke. He walked to the living room and sat next to her on the couch. He rested his head against her shoulder.…

Un Americano

972972 views1818 comments1414 favs

His eyes are wide then narrow and brown. Hers are gray then they look away, toward the back door where a delivery driver has walked in, carrying a tray. Nothing is going to happen today.

#32: Deep in Structures of Awareness (Structured Poem)

971971 views22 comments11 fav

In ashen hills of yonder

The Blueberry Man

971971 views33 comments22 favs

It was a Thursday. That's when I found out about the blueberries. Those precious, round little wonders, now forever untouchable.I left the note on the ledge of the balcony, taped down so it wouldn't fly away.It was going to come to this, eventually. After…

Hold My Hand

971971 views44 comments11 fav

Billy Joel wants to hold my hand.

Off the Record

971971 views1414 comments55 favs

“In other words you're going to lie through your teeth..."

Fragment from a Paper Story

971971 views11 comment11 fav

While Leif was still very young, his emotions were very easy to read, for they appeared on his parchment coloured skin, named in his mother's writing. When he was seventeen, Leif fell in love. She was a pretty maid, one of the college servants who kept his…

the note read

971971 views22 comments22 favs

Orchids, and irises. Tulips, and a sunflower too.

Two

971971 views66 comments44 favs

i am two / one part me / another part them

full moon over econolodge on I-70

971971 views33 comments22 favs

There was no hope for the writing desk. Even if it had not been for the splintered leg held together only by duct tape, there was no way Ron could have fit into the back of the station wagon with the rest of the luggage. He asked the Mexicans across the s

In and Out

971971 views22 comments00 favs

Emma held her arm up to John’s eyes. He looked, nodded. “My burns are on the inside,” he told her. “I’ll never show you.”

Holiday Moons

971971 views1010 comments55 favs

Not quite full, but bright,/ December 23rd.__ A waning moon for New Year’s Day-/ Portent?

Lastborn

971971 views00 comments00 favs

Being the baby in a family forces a focused outlook on life. Not necessarily profound, not even wry, but a perspective that pushes for two things - recognition, and to be in on whatever is going on.

Coyote Agonistes

971971 views11 comment00 favs

Wile E. Coyote? A junkie strung out on bunk dope.