Most recent stories

A SLEEPER AT THE STATION IS AFLAME

269269 views00 comments00 favs

Stanley Blade was a strange boy who fell in love with a fictional German spy named Marie Janis written 30 years before he was born. He dreamed of being a fighter pilot to bring down the only man who had bed her.

Space Man

1011110111 views115115 comments5656 favs

His girlfriend's probably surfing somewhere in California right now. She is an astrophysicist and a veteran and a triathlete, but she's never been up in space, like he is now, in a failing spacecraft. He knows it's failing by the way the engine sounds, like…

Our Names Are Written In Water

12191219 views66 comments00 favs

Passing us in a delicate swirl of light perfume and healthy girl sweat, three bare midriff elfin, baby dykes with pencil thin eyebrows, and chic art hair cuts, swaggered in like cool young gunfighters straight off the cover of Bad Baby Butch Vogue

The Obsession of Bentley Squeamish

12341234 views88 comments11 fav

The thing Bentley remembered most about her was she had no body odor. None.

The Four Seasons

12921292 views2020 comments44 favs

In the hotel lobby, the gold light and warmth and flower arrangements were all lies, but they reminded us of spring. We imagined happiness. We checked in.

Henry Ground

11151115 views1212 comments11 fav

Henry Ground was a healthy and well adjusted English man who excelled at chess and folk dancing. One day, for no apparent reason, he decided to fill his guinea pig with helium. He carried the animal under the light of the stars into the shed at the bottom of his garden.…

Unnecessary

22692269 views2323 comments88 favs

I reached my mother's doorstep with an important message, written in advance and practiced in front of a mirror. She answered in a purple kimono, her lips and cheeks rouged. She stretched across the doorframe, steel-eyed and implacable. “I balanced my…

Rot

17471747 views3434 comments1414 favs

I loved my Dad. He was executed in 1967. He was guilty.

A Simple Explanation

17351735 views3636 comments1212 favs

You are just another and I am only me. I give you full permission to be everything I don’t want you to be. In fact, I insist.

The Dog by the River

18921892 views1414 comments77 favs

I am seven years old today and I want the dog by the river, the one with the great mane of hair like my father's who is a singer at night, and with big ears, too, that grow from the top of its head so that I can tug on them if it's being bad or stroke them…

SHADOW TREASURES

914914 views00 comments00 favs

Vikki respond, "Say big guy, you eat pussy?" The Mohawk flustered. "Uh!?...Yeah...sure." Vikki snickered, "Great. We got something in common. So do I."

Post

970970 views11 comment00 favs

Beyond the parrots and the palms, she can see an airplane resting in the canyon below, belly up, wings like outstretched arms, the occupants inside presumably rotting in their seats.

The Poe Man

738738 views33 comments00 favs

“Hey,” he said looking up from the New Yorker. “There’s a really interesting article about Edgar Allan Poe in here.”

A THOUSAND PARROTS

10281028 views11 comment00 favs

  The parrots woke Eddie up. That and Rocker snoring in the twin bed. A thousand parrots flying over the motel? They squawked, God how they…

Cocktail Hour

760760 views44 comments00 favs

The bullet went past his right ear and a little star appeared, twinkling in the mirror, a small hole in its middle, before the boom of the shot filled up the bar. He put his straight up Grey Goose martini down on the bar hard enough so th

Moth Woman

24252425 views3434 comments1414 favs

I sat on the top step and watched the woman go down and stand in the middle of the room, raising her hands as if to touch them and I half expected the moths to lift the ends of her hair, the hem of her skirt, and fly away with her.

Retrospective with Mum

751751 views33 comments00 favs

I've brought a stack of old photo albums to the home with me. It'll be nice to go through them with Mum, I'm thinking.When I arrive she's doing her usual routine, where she sits silent for a time then bursts unprompted into laughter, lungs rattling, shouting at some…

My Favorite Breakfast

11341134 views00 comments22 favs

When Mavis is satisfied that her new man and I have met her criteria, and at long last she goes, no one will stand between me and the relentless boredom of my own company.

Four Sieges

10351035 views55 comments11 fav

Nicole knows that Deirdre is winding up for the weekly pitch, practicing the line in her mind.

Willy Takes the Night Train to Heaven

13811381 views22 comments00 favs

a store called ROCKING FROCKS. In its window was a black tee shirt that said in big white letters, I'M NOT A SLUT, I'M WITH THE BAND.

Anniversary

938938 views33 comments11 fav

He honestly could care less.  We should converse, you and I, he says. All right, she says.  She lays down the baster in her drawn out way, heel to toe on the countertop, one step in a…

The perfectly banal postcards...

10641064 views55 comments11 fav

“There are so few uses for Crisco, that to keep it in the house seems an unnecessary temptation,” said my health teacher.

Borden, Dream on Lord of the Pies.

14781478 views22 comments11 fav

A plague of dykes mattered not. This spider-girl had driven the world of thought from Borden’s mind.

Foreign Film

26562656 views3737 comments1111 favs

They are watching a movie about a man who cheats on his wife, whom he loves, and is so disconsolate that his wife eventually loses all patience and leaves him. They are at the point in the film where the man considers his many blunders as he walks…

Koo, The Queen of Nowhere

10541054 views44 comments00 favs

Koo ate the sad, bitter pills just so she wouldn’t have to try and make small talk about La Donna’s deformed, retarded kid.

Yeah, yeah, it takes two

14281428 views1010 comments66 favs

I'm rushing from the office, wanting to catch the 6.05, skittering down grey, commuter-laden streets, and I turn into the plaza and see the stupid fucking dancing couple. They are usually only there Fridays and weekends, catching the tourists on their way into Covent…

Harry, A Slow Learning Curve

14721472 views22 comments11 fav

He’d been wishing for months that he’d bought a retro clothing store. He would have called it HARRY’S HOARY HOSERRY. He would have met a better class of women.

Children are always beautiful

13981398 views66 comments11 fav

“Your children are beautiful,” she said, handing back his wallet after removing several bills. Her mouth was fringed by bitten-off melon lipstick, a calm kind of mad. She told him to call her Sally, “like the song McCartney rips his lungs on.” She…

Dragon Eyes

13171317 views22 comments11 fav

But forever is only for dragons, and children need to be touched or they die.

Key West with Poo and Company

12651265 views00 comments00 favs

Excerpt from Flamingo …