Most recent stories

And then she was gone

16631663 views33 comments00 favs

Given the nature of the events that were to follow I'm pretty sure that no one sane could have been equipped to comprehend, much less deal with, the coming weirdness any better than I was.

She tolled me

13681368 views55 comments22 favs

You’re mad as a hatter she said. Eons, eras of epochal proportions go by before you call me. I said recalibrate your linear thinking, incubator baby. I whispered permutations of wonder, told her secrets only the sufis know. We ate French goat cheese lac

Inevitable break down

10981098 views33 comments11 fav

I went to a drum circle next night under the full moon in May, scotch broom and lilacs blooming. One does not inhale such aphrodisiacs without losing one’s balance. There were children of druids and pagans and stregas from lands over the sea, lands beyo

Gyre and Gimble

12511251 views11 comment00 favs

I’ve done my part of the job in conservative clothing. Lonnie’s done her part looking like Dolly Parton.

Albert's Mother

13851385 views44 comments22 favs

The stern tone of the chairwoman made him miss his mother, the snap of her accusations, the sting of her belt on the backs of his legs.

The Epidemic of Weariness

13731373 views66 comments33 favs

“Life cannot continue at a breakneck pace, because it is breaking too many necks,” the Health Czar told the President.

A Losing Hand

976976 views44 comments00 favs

A group of us from work are playing cards at a friend's house, so when my brother Jimmy calls, I take my phone into the other room. I already know what it's about, really the only reason he ever calls these days.“Look, I hate to ask,” he begins, the way he…

The Sex Life of Your Mouth

13561356 views1010 comments00 favs

"What say we adjourn to the bedroom and I give you a little demonstration of sexual acrobatics?”

Alfalfa

17241724 views99 comments33 favs

The year I lick so much windowpane off stamps I have to use Elmer's glue to back the twenty-center for a postcard cash request to my mother, that I am alive note at the end of term, is the year of all the "wine" parties. "Wine" is what we put down

Stop.

23972397 views2929 comments1919 favs

Accept that your husband's heart always belonged to his first love. You should've noticed sooner because she works in your building and won't look you in the eye. She takes the stairs because you ride the elevator.

Requiem for a Glass Heart

62966296 views2525 comments99 favs

The stone thrower lives in a glass house with his glass family. His neighbors often stop in front of his home and stare at the flesh and blood man as he goes about the business of living with his glass wife and glass child, their glass furniture and glass lives.Every…

Celluloid

36973697 views3636 comments2121 favs

Mina stumbled and fell headlong into her apartment, smacking her knees and palms on the hardwood floor.

THE BOOK OF SUCH ~ a suite of poems

489489 views22 comments00 favs

A Being of Aether, who having appeared to me one morning, instructed me in the geometry of thorns. She seemed to be semi-infinite as her often melodious speaking voice was unimaginable in one direction and limited in another.

Go Ahead

18661866 views22 comments11 fav

A drag queen thrown from the mechanical bull Thursday night is my fault, they say, they meaning management. And because of the ensuing brouhaha and the ambulance and the medics and a thousand flannel shirts straining for a look, I failed to pick up Jenny, my six-year-old…

Bob the Builder

844844 views33 comments00 favs

The concrete guy’s truck is parked in front of your house. There’s nothing for him to be doing there except your wife.

A SLEEPER AT THE STATION IS AFLAME

269269 views00 comments00 favs

Stanley Blade was a strange boy who fell in love with a fictional German spy named Marie Janis written 30 years before he was born. He dreamed of being a fighter pilot to bring down the only man who had bed her.

Space Man

1026010260 views115115 comments5656 favs

His girlfriend's probably surfing somewhere in California right now. She is an astrophysicist and a veteran and a triathlete, but she's never been up in space, like he is now, in a failing spacecraft. He knows it's failing by the way the engine sounds, like…

Our Names Are Written In Water

12391239 views66 comments00 favs

Passing us in a delicate swirl of light perfume and healthy girl sweat, three bare midriff elfin, baby dykes with pencil thin eyebrows, and chic art hair cuts, swaggered in like cool young gunfighters straight off the cover of Bad Baby Butch Vogue

The Obsession of Bentley Squeamish

12551255 views88 comments11 fav

The thing Bentley remembered most about her was she had no body odor. None.

The Four Seasons

13281328 views2020 comments44 favs

In the hotel lobby, the gold light and warmth and flower arrangements were all lies, but they reminded us of spring. We imagined happiness. We checked in.

Henry Ground

11441144 views1212 comments11 fav

Henry Ground was a healthy and well adjusted English man who excelled at chess and folk dancing. One day, for no apparent reason, he decided to fill his guinea pig with helium. He carried the animal under the light of the stars into the shed at the bottom of his garden.…

Rot

17721772 views3434 comments1414 favs

I loved my Dad. He was executed in 1967. He was guilty.

A Simple Explanation

17711771 views3636 comments1212 favs

You are just another and I am only me. I give you full permission to be everything I don’t want you to be. In fact, I insist.

The Dog by the River

19321932 views1414 comments77 favs

I am seven years old today and I want the dog by the river, the one with the great mane of hair like my father's who is a singer at night, and with big ears, too, that grow from the top of its head so that I can tug on them if it's being bad or stroke them…

SHADOW TREASURES

934934 views00 comments00 favs

Vikki respond, "Say big guy, you eat pussy?" The Mohawk flustered. "Uh!?...Yeah...sure." Vikki snickered, "Great. We got something in common. So do I."

Post

983983 views11 comment00 favs

Beyond the parrots and the palms, she can see an airplane resting in the canyon below, belly up, wings like outstretched arms, the occupants inside presumably rotting in their seats.

The Poe Man

749749 views33 comments00 favs

“Hey,” he said looking up from the New Yorker. “There’s a really interesting article about Edgar Allan Poe in here.”

A THOUSAND PARROTS

10651065 views11 comment00 favs

  The parrots woke Eddie up. That and Rocker snoring in the twin bed. A thousand parrots flying over the motel? They squawked, God how they…

Cocktail Hour

769769 views44 comments00 favs

The bullet went past his right ear and a little star appeared, twinkling in the mirror, a small hole in its middle, before the boom of the shot filled up the bar. He put his straight up Grey Goose martini down on the bar hard enough so th

Moth Woman

24732473 views3434 comments1414 favs

I sat on the top step and watched the woman go down and stand in the middle of the room, raising her hands as if to touch them and I half expected the moths to lift the ends of her hair, the hem of her skirt, and fly away with her.