Most discussed stories

An Open Letter To Lance Armstrong

952952 views00 comments00 favs

When I get my legs pumping, I’ll pop a spoke if I'm not careful. Massive fucking energy! And all that fat I was talking about? I don’t even really have that much of it, any of it really. My body fat is like one percent, which the doctors tell me isn’t

Five Million Yen: Chapter 35

893893 views00 comments00 favs

They sat eating and looking at each other. To Ben, Claudia was certainly a handsome woman and a good bed partner, but he was getting more and more suspicious of her motives.

The Sentence

10241024 views00 comments00 favs

Two women are escorted to the desert, where they are shackled to the ground. Who are they, what have the done, and will they survive?

My Favorite Breakfast

11571157 views00 comments22 favs

When Mavis is satisfied that her new man and I have met her criteria, and at long last she goes, no one will stand between me and the relentless boredom of my own company.

I've got to

772772 views00 comments00 favs

Growing into a new mold, watching our friendships fall into deep deep holes.

a random thought

847847 views00 comments00 favs

They shake, shake, while mouths say the words.

Dudes Who Want To Be Her Boyfriend

11891189 views00 comments00 favs

She says he is not a real person. He says he doesn't understand. And that she should be with the dudes who want to be her boyfriend.

Arcana Magi - c.19: Opportunity Arising

12411241 views00 comments00 favs

Kyo held her hand gently and stared at the bracelet as Brie explained everything that happened. It was painful to hear.

I See Your Face Before Me

10391039 views00 comments00 favs

The summer was announcing itself in thick waves of heat that rolled like a slow motion hurricane inside Mark Keeler's 1971 Mercury Montego. The car baked in a…

In Survival Bid, DAR Tries Fajitas 'n 'Ritas

632632 views00 comments00 favs

The DAR Recruiting Party included a martini bar, an eclectic mix of music ranging from Devo to Lawrence Welk, and “quoits,” a Colonial ring-toss game that newcomers play to win membership discounts and Talbots gift certificates.

John & Jackie

11301130 views00 comments00 favs

By the time I learned how much I loved my family, I was 3 years and eight-hundred miles away from them

Still Crazy After All These Years

10121012 views00 comments00 favs

Dr. van Roos reminded the group that trauma is trauma...

Abomination at the Shilkie

15291529 views00 comments00 favs

That I own one of the world's largest collections of occult references, including a clutch of rare and ancient grimoires, ought to suggest I'd have been prepared for the shock. But nothing in my studies left me meaningfully prepared. . .

Bunny Ears

13161316 views00 comments11 fav

Word traveled fast at school on Monday. Emma Jakowski had actually captured him. He was being held in her dad's tool shed. Anyone who wanted to see him had to be in the Jakowski's backyard by 3:15 that afternoon, chocolate bunny ears in hand. It was no…

Tiger-eyed

11281128 views00 comments00 favs

The tiger-eye beads around her neck would wink at me like a nervous uncle sharing a secret with a child. They roll on her sternum like marbles. At night, on her nightstand, they whisper my secret to the patchouli-scented room. How long have they known?

Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Tree

11801180 views00 comments00 favs

I found him dead underneath a sycamore tree. I knew it was a sycamore tree because of all the acorns surrounding the body.

War Story: Alternate Duty II - crash landing

807807 views00 comments00 favs

I was only allowed ten hours in the tower a month so the Army in its infinite wisdom gave me lots of alternate duty which in the I-Corp area mostly meant loaning me to the Marines. That worked out because the alternate duty the Army came up with tended to

Spøgelse

10411041 views00 comments11 fav

Chet Baker mourns for you, New Coke mourns for you, Roddy Piper mourns for you, 8-track cassettes of Humble Pie and Bachman Turner Overdrive mourn for you

Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Writers

532532 views00 comments00 favs

If you want a nice meal, writers take you to diners. They’re thinkin’ noirly, you want something finer.

Arcana Magi Pure Vol.7 - c.1

10241024 views00 comments00 favs

Mayumi stepped back and watched the hand slowly slide along, guiding her to follow it. Her head turned until she saw Emi across from her.

The Invaders

729729 views00 comments00 favs

“Elaine, what's that bee doing?”, asked Jonathan as he slid his reading glasses down and turned his attention from the morning paper to a bee that had landed on the his Nesbitt's Lime soda bottle. The bottle sat on the small, hand-made table in their back…

other fish

108108 views00 comments00 favs

and so you waits for years, and he decides that all he needs to learn, he can learn from this woman, the contents of her ether being syrupy and more lush in his mouth than all the words of bound philosophy.

Animal Park (Part I)

13101310 views00 comments00 favs

“The robin is the one. …

Hiro

10601060 views00 comments00 favs

I Charles had always been bad at small talk, especially when the other person wasn't helping by taking part. “What're we doing after this?” He asked. Hiro's reply was to frown at…

A Night Ride With the Conservative Poetry Enforcers

12501250 views00 comments00 favs

We've got our gang colors on because we're out for retribution. T.S. Eliot made an appearance at a writer's conference on De-Privileging the Dead White Male last night, and the head of a low-residency poetry program tossed hot green tea on him.

Heart vs. Head

13431343 views00 comments00 favs

Where was it? Tino wondered, craning his neck, plastic bag in hand. He would have sworn there was a Barnes & Noble along this stretch. Had it closed since his mother had last been in the hospital two years ago?

The Gift

11071107 views00 comments00 favs

This was the anniversary of the chairs. He would celebrate tonight for the chairs, and the chairs would welcome him.

Millard Fillmore, Dolphin Flayer

908908 views00 comments00 favs

Last week I heard that there is a new horror movie out about Abe Lincoln, with the plot of the film involving the tallest of presidents hunting down vampire bats with his axe while suspending habeas corpus, writing lame speeches about the freedom of man, restoring the…

The Sluice

13051305 views00 comments00 favs

Everybody knew Billy Miller. He had messy hair and crooked teeth that he hid behind a thin-lipped smile. He and his friend Jimmy Rodgers, who everyone called Cock on account of his red hair that stuck up like a comb, were inseparable. They liked to ste

Animal Park (Part II)

14711471 views00 comments00 favs

“Why have you not voted Mindeo”, Tidi squeaked. “Because there is a third way. If we stay only here, we will eventually be driven out. To attack the erect worms to extend our…