Most discussed stories

Sundays

812812 views11 comment00 favs

First was the end of the month Sunday morning picnic. Well, Not first - there was more. Something Before then. But, You looked different with wind in your Hair and Never the same again. The mud on your skirt matched my thoughts. You'd fallen, I'm sure, and I…

The Flame Child

930930 views11 comment00 favs

Lupe drove. She didn't know where she was going, but still she drove. The Mustang whined because she did not shift gears. The street was wet from a night rain and if…

Stories from the War

13241324 views11 comment11 fav

He didn’t know how to tell his story. It wasn’t an easy story to tell. There certainly was a clear beginning, but it didn’t make much sense to start at the beginning. There was no way to end the story either; the ending seemed to last forever.

Wanna Ball?

669669 views11 comment00 favs

She came out to Laguna Beach one time, and we saw each other at this party and she asked if I wanted to “ball,” as she put it. Yes, I said immediately, because I was famished and really wanted a lot of sex because I had just finished a three month project

Saved (Seven-Fingered Jesus)

902902 views11 comment00 favs

Believe me, I would run if I could, but there seems to be a low haze of molasses clinging to my ankles.

Dust

733733 views11 comment00 favs

It was the absence of small sounds he felt most. The clink of a spoon against china, a floorboard’s distant creak, the swish of that old, broken-toothed comb through her hair. A thousand tiny sounds that had proved he wasn’t alone.

Fried Architecture

737737 views11 comment11 fav

In the morning that same girl I’d seen gave me a tangerine...

Missed connections

996996 views11 comment11 fav

I lost my job but the government found me a new one. Now the government pays me to pretend I’m a travelling businessman. I fly around the country to imaginary meetings. It’s part of a project to make it look like the economy is doing well.

"A Death by the Sea" (excerpt)

11501150 views11 comment11 fav

Then a flicker caught my eye. To the left of the balcony, where the residential high-rise abutted a commercial building to its right, a shape--half-dark, half-lit--stood on a limestone ledge.

On All of Those Bad Guys in Movies

815815 views11 comment11 fav

What about the poor nobodies to somebodies being tossed like wet rags onto more wet rags?

7th Avenue Local

951951 views11 comment00 favs

The harsh lights of the 7th Ave. Local revealed dark circles that had remained hidden during Vivian’s performance.

Dragonflies

241241 views11 comment11 fav

There are men who like to cut down trees.Women who strive to drain the seas.But what am I? What are you?Hallucinations? The dreams of dew? It is easy to be drunk on wine.It is easy to suck in cloud.But darling, wait, the light-beams…

Abraham

11291129 views11 comment11 fav

I came late to sunrise. The hills were lit / with goats.

Chinese Jacks

12751275 views11 comment33 favs

"Carl, do you think we can fit all of our furniture into that red house?" Jeanne asks. She wonders how easily you could burn a red house down, if a claw foot tub will melt or be left standing in a field of black grass. He reaches for her hair, the dizzy smell…

Luck - By Design ?

13661366 views11 comment00 favs

They’d met by sheer accident. Torrential rain & a deserted bungalow were the perfect catalysts. ‘You shouldn’t be alone at this hour’ Kurt whispered. ‘It’s not by design’ Ursula murmured.

dream lives and cancers

930930 views11 comment00 favs

Around sunset or sometime after, we are on the futon talking about dream lives and cancers. He asks me about my ideal living situation, my ideal career, my ideals in general. I would be a turtle, I say. I would travel and have a home I could always go to, I could always be…

BEACH

463463 views11 comment00 favs

It's just me.An October afternoon.Ocean and Ocean and Ocean. if you keep looking, down the coastthere is fog.Only fog and me and sea.I imagine him before I see him.Slow walk just above the water line, the fog catching up behind him,fantastical cape.The rational…

Mr. Townsend Wakes Up

827827 views11 comment00 favs

Mr. Townsend is a normal guy. He's been on auto pilot a while. When he finally snaps out of it, he's surprised at what he finds.

See No…, Hear No…, Speak No…,

15961596 views11 comment00 favs

“People are staring at us,” Cat said softly into Marcel’s ear. “We look like an interesting couple,” Marcel replied. “Of course people want to look at us.” Cat nibbled on that thought for a while. New York City is the kind of place where people ra

Ghosts

10911091 views11 comment11 fav

"Yes. It was moving, and not along the ground, either. We were. . . looking toward the cemetery, and the ghost or whatever was clearly visible. . ."

Results

762762 views11 comment11 fav

“I don't want to talk about this right now.” “Oh you don't want to…

You Would Not Find Me

720720 views11 comment22 favs

and I saw this man mopping a floor. He did not look like a monk, and he was smiling at something I could not see. You would not find me and I was beautiful. You would not find me and you closed that memory. I thought that was unfair and maybe it…

Molecule

493493 views11 comment11 fav

Like the absence of a screw

Love Letters

21052105 views11 comment11 fav

I saw your soul like flesh through négligée, enigma moulding treasure from okay.

Lab Work

11481148 views11 comment00 favs

Desire stirred into the liquid reveals Cold ice smoking colder, As you pipet these channels of my heart.

Event Particle (10)

820820 views11 comment00 favs

my tiny white world, the cube in the closet in the back above the shelving in a secret compartment cut into the wall

Piggy Bank

10681068 views11 comment11 fav

He shivered in his robe and pajama pants as the showdown with the piggy bank continued on this dark winter’s night. He couldn’t resist the cute dots for eyes, the stubby legs and perked up ears.

In the Blood

11661166 views11 comment00 favs

“Bound to happen,” Marny said. “The way he went on; no doubt he'd end up like this.” Few folks sitting around in a one room shack. Walls were weather stained slats; the door, the only opening. Their fans flapping the air in their…

Sycamore Tree

902902 views11 comment11 fav

I love you, I said. A beautiful smile struggled through the pain. But I love you more.

13 machines from the Bird King's private collection

10821082 views11 comment11 fav

1. The sparrows' heads revolve slowly when you press the red button, but the boxing glove attachments don't work.2. A weird weaving of voices, unmusical harmony. One phrase punctures the texture: “The empty slot.”3. Poems are processed into more useful verbal…