Most recent stories

Foreign Film

26332633 views3737 comments1111 favs

They are watching a movie about a man who cheats on his wife, whom he loves, and is so disconsolate that his wife eventually loses all patience and leaves him. They are at the point in the film where the man considers his many blunders as he walks…

Koo, The Queen of Nowhere

10471047 views44 comments00 favs

Koo ate the sad, bitter pills just so she wouldn’t have to try and make small talk about La Donna’s deformed, retarded kid.

Yeah, yeah, it takes two

14161416 views1010 comments66 favs

I'm rushing from the office, wanting to catch the 6.05, skittering down grey, commuter-laden streets, and I turn into the plaza and see the stupid fucking dancing couple. They are usually only there Fridays and weekends, catching the tourists on their way into Covent…

Harry, A Slow Learning Curve

14581458 views22 comments11 fav

He’d been wishing for months that he’d bought a retro clothing store. He would have called it HARRY’S HOARY HOSERRY. He would have met a better class of women.

Children are always beautiful

13851385 views66 comments11 fav

“Your children are beautiful,” she said, handing back his wallet after removing several bills. Her mouth was fringed by bitten-off melon lipstick, a calm kind of mad. She told him to call her Sally, “like the song McCartney rips his lungs on.” She…

Dragon Eyes

13081308 views22 comments11 fav

But forever is only for dragons, and children need to be touched or they die.

Key West with Poo and Company

12531253 views00 comments00 favs

Excerpt from Flamingo …

The Big Game

13791379 views33 comments55 favs

The vampire donated floodlights so the children could play ballgames at night. The lights came on but the dugouts remained vacant. The vampire sat alone in the bleachers. “Sometimes I am less than the sum of my parts,” he said to the sum of his parts.

Take Out

981981 views11 comment00 favs

You're stupid drunk. And not feeling so good. You know you should stop doing this. But what else is there to do, especially since your brother went in? And now Roberto's gone to pick up his lady and left you alone, empty. Couldn't even drive you home. You don't…

Aria

13181318 views22 comments11 fav

It will only be minutes before I can slip out of this shelter, but time has suspended itself like a web over the sky. I look up and see a break in the clouds moving north from the furthest tip of Lake Erie. Rain turns to drizzle, other guests arrive toget

Belief

13361336 views1313 comments22 favs

The child closed her eyes again. Outside was sparkling, sharp looking, when she blinked he’d be here, like when she went to sleep and found outside had been whitened with snow. She closed her eyes and opened them, then closed them again. When she opened

My wife denies being my older self.

11701170 views44 comments33 favs

What are you, my judge?

Momma’s Don’t let Your Daughters Grow up to be Cowdykes

13371337 views22 comments00 favs

She could see very clearly in her mind many size five girls with radically short hair and Cowdyke outfits from places like L. L. Bean.

LOVE IS NOT THE ONLY THING

979979 views00 comments00 favs

When I was a very little girl—I was five—my mother and a black gentleman she was incarcerated with broke out of a mental institution and kidnapped me.

Two Lives

11841184 views22 comments00 favs

You don't know what it's like to be in the bed as a child and feel the air of fall enter your room and hear the dishes in the cabinets of your home rattle, their doors slammed by some drunk looking for a fresh bottle of liquor. The cool air sweeps over you like…

Charlotte's Nexus

16531653 views22 comments22 favs

She sent painless electrical impulses through his neurons, and consequently, he lost the pathways that lead to memories of his experiments, memories he had reveled in during his most profound moments of desolation.

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

10441044 views55 comments11 fav

It starts with a letter, down the back of the couch, ending, ‘love, always.' I read only the kisses aimed at me - a firing line running off the page. How long has that letter hidden there? It secreted itself in a corner of the house…

Level Three Offender

10391039 views00 comments00 favs

What do you mean dope in the front seat. I always keep my dope in the trunk. I mean hey, children DO steal.

Home in Biloxi

12361236 views1010 comments33 favs

Her father stuffed years worth of stories into the phone, a sort of begging: how the new dog rode in the golf cart and retrieved lost Pinnacles; how the garage’s rent was too expensive; how the doctor gave him new pills and how he had lost weight and cu

SEVEN DEGREES LESS THAN ZERO

13621362 views22 comments11 fav

One night the woman went down in the basement, grabbed an electric drill, and let the voices out in eight places.

Beside the Still Waters

941941 views00 comments00 favs

“You. There,” said the fellow, pointing his gun like a dead finger. “You believe that water saves the soul, don’t you?” Thomas looked to the other boys for an answer, but they didn’t know any more than he did.

sex at antioch

24332433 views1919 comments77 favs

the definition of beauty is easy

The Song of the Jardin Venus

12911291 views00 comments00 favs

The place is a living rebirth, And all death is only temporary. For soon in the land, the soil, For soon in

Dig

15651565 views99 comments44 favs

Every morning, the children dig holes for their parents. This is both necessary and beneficial: the kids need to dig and the parents have to be buried.

Message

967967 views00 comments11 fav

When the telephone rang the fallow fields we lay in years ago became distant countries, filled with falling stars. The distant country into which you had disappeared became a pistol with a single bullet in the chamber.

Burning Trash

12081208 views22 comments11 fav

Boys start fires all the time— it's a rite of passage— so when your father gives you the task of setting fire to the family's trash, you don't mind, and when the flames ignite inside the old dishwasher he heaved into the woods behind the house, you…

Healing Romance of the Rose

12281228 views00 comments00 favs

The dying rose spoke to the wood That kept in it's heart a love of good And all that was in bloom It could not let that happy rose Fret about in terrible death throes Would not be its tomb.

Moreneta

735735 views00 comments00 favs

Hold my heart the child in your arms The roses of April blooming, I bend down before you cracked and broke Spilled out like albumin.

The Roman Twin

896896 views00 comments00 favs

Reverend Peter Roman could stand it no more. He stopped his speech. He felt a fire burning through him, a hatred for humanity and all the weaknesses of beings not perfect before God. He stood a long while, staring at the congregation. Then, he slowly spok

Ants

14141414 views1212 comments44 favs

The fettuccine is a disaster. Mini-ants have invaded the container. Barry spots them in the boiling water after pouring in the pasta, not much more than floating black specks, but too many to ignore. He dumps out the pasta and returns to the closet to…