Alphabetical stories

As a Film Cassette Enters a Camera

707707 views00 comments00 favs

"...only images I can know,"

As Anti-Vegan Bias Spreads, SaladShooters Fight Back

993993 views00 comments00 favs

The Vegan Defense League is a vigilante group formed to fill the gap left by local law enforcement, who jam the parking lot a mile down the road at a donut shop. “By the time the cops finish their coffee and chocolate frosted donuts, we could be dead.”

As Faulkner's Birthday Nears, Mailmen Ask "What If?"

10341034 views11 comment22 favs

Before he became famous Faulkner was postmaster at the University of Mississippi Substation Post Office, a fact that endears him to mailmen around the world.

As If Not Breathing Could Save him

10221022 views33 comments22 favs

She turned him down again. Said it was her insomnia. She was so tired, she said, she had to work in the morning, and why couldn't he understand that? She rolled over facing away from him. He sat up in bed, thinking. When was the last time? Three months ago? Four? He…

As Luck Would Have It

14961496 views88 comments33 favs

For fifteen years Wendy waited for Harry to leave his wife. From time to time, there’d been ultimatums, break-ups too, but they never stuck. Now Wendy’s luck was about to change. It was Tuesday, Wendy and Harry’s standing night to be together. His wif

As Many Will Fall

12251225 views88 comments77 favs

tumbling for you from afar as close-up. They will rewrite your dancing form like a proper magical spell on all their maddest days, using the branches of cherished trees dipped into the trapped wells of certain hosts of …

As Pleat

13201320 views1010 comments66 favs

I turn up the music and slip into drone, rock it like a tunnel in canary. When that does not erase his face, I cup my breast with one hand and let my hair fall.

As Poetry Month Ends, Prosaic Types Get Their Turn

10711071 views55 comments44 favs

“I’m going,” O’Bannon-Krim says with exasperation as she throws trinkets such as Dylan Thomas beer coozies and Edna St. Vincent Millay hair scrunchies into a cardboard box.

As the Bat Cave Turns

10101010 views55 comments44 favs

A study found that in bat species noted for female monogamy male bats have small testes and big brains, while in species noted for female promiscuity males have testicles five times as big, but smaller brains.

As the Lights Dim

11181118 views1010 comments1010 favs

AS THE LIGHT DIMS …

As the Wine Keeps Flowing

948948 views1010 comments77 favs

My blood has turned to flour I've been in Babylon too long My heart was singed by fire But it's drowning in my song We raised a prayer to Mary We had to take our share We took our places in the ferry But we didn't pay the fare And we don't know…

As We Progress

10301030 views44 comments33 favs

We all need a place to stay.

As You Suspected

937937 views33 comments33 favs

Your mother was married to a Minotaur

Ascension

11731173 views55 comments44 favs

He reveled in the chase, giddy when just out of arm’s reach. When to catch him, that was the question.

Ascension of the Conquistador

10371037 views33 comments11 fav

One of Montejo's cap­tains has us drilling in the rain again. The sun hasn't shone for days and the air is sti­fling, like try­ing to breath under water. Every­thing looks gray except the palms. Each green leaf droops in the rain like a…

Ash

214214 views1717 comments1010 favs

Whenever my mother’s will-to-live wavered and her hand reached out for the electric fence, my ash would whisper, “Live, live.”

ASH WEDNESDAY

901901 views11 comment11 fav

Everybody knew the McDonald’s at the Waterfront was selling theraflu stamp bags, and I guess I’d heard how bad it was for you—they’d had reports of dumbasses ODing on channel 2, 4, and 11—but it was a lot stronger than regular heroin and a lot cheaper...

Ashes

12341234 views77 comments66 favs

Now, the Midwest was ashes. The oceans were covered with hydroponics plant growth.

Ashes (for RC)

891891 views11 comment00 favs

Floating along the ebbs of the ocean,toward the horizon, where time has no say,an end that will never be reached.

Ashes to Ashes

947947 views66 comments33 favs

Day by day people went missing. Reports of the ads being answered with a robocall solution to their problems were at first unconfirmed. Yesterday my best friend told me his emotional distress call was going to be channeled into a free trip to what he call

Ashtray Blues

292292 views22 comments22 favs

O most disconsolate ashtray, you are not politically correct, it's a conspiracy I suspect. O most disconsolate ashtray, how I long to see your smoke arise, suspended in my eyes, now you have nothing left to do but sit there in a smokeless …

Ask Mr. Fix-It!

18561856 views33 comments11 fav

Got a home repair question? Ask Mr. Fix-It! He usually knows the answer, and if not, your problem isn’t worth fixing.

Ask the Language Monitor

851851 views44 comments11 fav

A woman I work with is always going on about her daughter is an expert water-skier and has a collection of antique thimbles and makes prize-winning congo bars.

Asking an Accomplished Poet Friend to Read My Poetry in a Starbucks at 2PM on a Thursday

10961096 views66 comments22 favs

Your usage of the English language / is awkward and passé—

Asleep on His Helmet

535535 views22 comments11 fav

He wore a jacket with just a letter; by this conspicuous reserve he hoped to show the others it didn’t matter what you did last year, only who you hit in the here and now, and how hard.

Assay the Assail

982982 views22 comments22 favs

No one is a Puritan under all that powder!

assemblage x + 1

918918 views99 comments66 favs

so here we all are/ deep in debt

Assemblance

10761076 views1414 comments99 favs

I assemble myself daily// from the ready-mades/ of a fast talking world,

Assessing Beauty

10781078 views1212 comments1010 favs

We can’t be sure. Perhaps it is/ some slight exaggeration of one/ or several elements that steals our breath.

Asshole

11341134 views99 comments44 favs

This guy struts and never walks, and while doing so he reads and sends text messages and emails from his smart phone and so never walks in a straight line.