Forum / Latest news about Darryl Price

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jan 04, 03:31am

Hi friends,

I am sorry to report this news, but have Darryl's wife, Melissa's permission. These are her words:

Darryl had a heart attack Wednesday morning. The cardiac catheterization showed blockage in 3 arteries--99% in one and 80% in the other two. He'll have triple bypass surgery tomorrow at 2pm. His surgeon and cardiologist said his heart muscle is strong and besides these blockages he is in good health. So he is an excellent candidate for the surgery.

I just wanted to let you know and ask you to please send your thoughts, prayers and positive energy to Darryl. It would mean so much to all of us. I'll be sure to let you know how he's doing tomorrow.

HI, it's me, Robert again. I replied to Melissa and she responded with this:

Robert,
    Thank you for your note. This has been a shock for us too.
    Yes, please do post something on Fictionaut. We will gladly accept all thoughts, prayers and good wishes.
    Darryl is at Mount Carmel East Hospital (Columbus, Ohio) in room 2E24. I'm not sure of the address, but I will find out for you. Flowers...that's so nice of you.
    I will share your email with Darryl tomorrow. Your kind words will mean so much to him.
    I will definitely keep you in the loop.

Me again...Robert- please help me spread the word- offer your thoughts, your prayers, and your support! Darryl is such a VITAL part of Fictionaut.

Thanks everyone.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Jan 04, 03:36am

Best wishes, Darryl. They've made amazing strides in this type of procedure over the years, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Matt

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jan 04, 03:45am

Oh, how awful. Thanks so much for sharing this and do let him know we'll all be thinking of him. All good thoughts and wishes headed his way. Please keep us posted.

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Jan 04, 03:47am

Full recovery devoutly wished.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jan 04, 04:29am

DP: I send love and best wishes. We all need your lovely light, here and everywhere. Be well.

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Jan 04, 05:17am

Hang in there, Darryl! Speedy recovery from everyone in my household (me, girlfriend, dog and cat).

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Jan 04, 05:18am

Much love, Darryl.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Jan 04, 07:26am

I'm not a poet but these lines from Tennyson's "Ulysses" came to mind:

...Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I wish and pray that all available guardian angels stand by to help him fully recover from this. Best wishes from Berlin and much love to Darryl and his family.

• Jane.thumb
    Jane Flett
    Jan 04, 10:04am

Oh Darryl--all love and quick recovery. The beauty of your poetry and sweetness of your comments has always made my time spent here with you a delight. Be well, and come back soon. x

• -5.thumb
    RW Spryszak
    Jan 04, 10:27am

Holding him in the Light.

• Handsome.thumb
    Timothy Gager
    Jan 04, 01:59pm

Best wishes and strength toward a full recovery!

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 04, 02:01pm

All best wishes Darryl for a strong and speedy recovery. Your vital heart will
    prevail.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jan 04, 02:25pm

Sorry for this news, but I appreciate being told. Thoughts to DP and Melissa.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jan 04, 02:26pm

Holding you in my heart, Darryl. Making room for Melissa and all the others who love our poet. Peace...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jan 04, 02:33pm

Judging by the response alone, we can see how important Darryl is to us all. Prayers are hopes. We offer them to the hope that Darryl will come back strong and soon.

• Me.thumb
    Steven Gowin
    Jan 04, 02:35pm

If Darry can get this somehow, he should know that his fellows all over the country miss him and wish him the fastest recovery.

• Frankie Saxx
    Jan 04, 02:41pm

Get well, Darryl.

• Nicolette_apr_2012.thumb
    Nicolette Wong
    Jan 04, 05:23pm

Sending good wishes and love.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Jan 04, 05:35pm

Wishing Darryl a quick and full recovery and some quiet peaceful time for poetry!

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Jan 04, 05:41pm

Please let Darryl know I'm thinking of him, cheering him on, and hoping for his swift recovery. I'm not around here much anymore, but he has always been one of the most kind, generous, talented, and compassionate lights on Fictionaut.

• Dscf4986.thumb
    Andrew Stancek
    Jan 04, 06:43pm

Positive energy being sent Darryl's way. Speedy full recovery.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Jan 04, 06:53pm

good wishes for a swift strong recovery and thoughts to Darryl's family as well

• Mechalk42.thumb
    Kyle Hemmings
    Jan 04, 06:56pm

Wish you a speedy recovery, Darryl, and get strong fast.

• Beate_close-up-0334_copy_(1).thumb
    Beate Sigriddaughter
    Jan 04, 06:57pm

Darryl, may the beauty of your soul keep you strong through this ordeal. Best wishes to you and your loved ones.

• Facebook.thumb
    John Riley
    Jan 04, 06:59pm

Good wishes for your speedy recovery, Darryl.

• Tinabarry.thumb
    Tina Barry
    Jan 04, 07:17pm

Best wishes, Darryl. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

• Photo%20on%202011-05-20%20at%2013.thumb
    Kim Conklin
    Jan 04, 07:27pm

Wow, what news! Thanks to Susan Tepper for posting it where it came to me in an email, or I'd never have known. Haven't been on FN for awhile, but Darryl has always been a wonderful friend to me, when I was actively posting here and since.

If you're reading this, Darryl, have a speedy, easy recovery, and I'll be sending good thoughts and wishes your way to (I hope) aid the healing of that great big, generous heart of yours.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jan 04, 08:14pm

Best wishes, Darryl. Hospitals get really tedious so get out of there soon and write!

Robert Vaughan
    Jan 04, 08:58pm

Everyone, I am so moved by all the lovely comments and support, as I'm sure Darryl will be. Among his infinite lovely personality traits, Darryl would drop a free "gift" as he called them, an occasional poem in my personal e-mail or at Fictionaut in a personal message. I'd like to share the beauty of his last one here. It says it all:

Beauty Comes Trailing After Us (a Christmas card)

like a tear stained child because it doesn’t want to
    be left all alone any more. We can’t help but
    shun its winds of fire, but we’re never the same
    as before once we decide to offer it a squeezed
    in place at the table of a heart. Even plodding

along as we often do there’s always a brief happy
    moment when the knowing smile escapes us like a sudden
    break in a mile of clouds. This means we are
    fooling no one and no one’s fooling us. Maybe we
    should just admit all the new junk doesn’t make us

any happier than the old junk. Maybe it’s okay to
    admit that we like something for no real good reason
    at all. Maybe it’s time. Maybe we’re already gone, the
    lingering is only a smeared spirit. Maybe I’ve got nothing
    left to say to you that you want to hear

said out loud. I was watching the sun. I still
    can watch it snow and not think that the awful
    killing machines are somehow sleeping. They are switched on by
    people. It’s someone’s poor choice every single time. Give me
    your hand. Give me a last dance. Give everything you’ve

got and don’t look back. Maybe the fact that things
    deepen if you let them means there is an opening
    in the sorrowful night for lovers in this world after
    all. Give it a try. Call me. Call to me.
    Shine on us on purpose. Shine our way. We’ll receive

the news somehow of your amazing spirit still being in
    this town. They don’t understand that it is inside them.
    That it’s inside the snow, the sun, a certain understanding.
    They want it to be over there, outside, but of
    Course it is written in the stars, warm and wishful.

November 08, 2012 Darryl Price

• Me.thumb
    Foster Trecost
    Jan 04, 09:55pm

Quick recovery, Darryl, this is my wish. I'm sorry you've got to deal with this. fos.

Robert Vaughan
    Jan 04, 10:18pm

I wanted to bring you all up to date since Darryl's surgery. This is the latest news from Melissa, his wife. Thanks also to Susan Tepper for posting this link on Facebook and her deep support of our buddy, Darryl. It really makes all else seem so miniscule and I am thrilled to hear this update just brief minutes ago:

I am so happy to let you know that Darryl is out of surgery. The doctors said he tolerated the surgery very well and should recover fully. I can't thank you enough for your support. As soon as Darryl wakes up I will read him all the wonderful comments on the Fictionaut Forum. I will keep you posted on his progress. And hopefully you'll hear from him soon, too.

Again, thank you so much for your support!

Melissa

• 3a.thumb
    Walter Bjorkman
    Jan 04, 10:45pm

Darryl - great to hear it sounds like you will come through this. Best wishes & hopes for a speedy & full recovery. with a little help from your friends - play em when you can!

Walt

• Richter.thumb
    M.H.
    Jan 04, 11:44pm

So glad to hear that Darryl's surgery went well. My thoughts are with him and his family. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.
    Best Wishes,
    Marcelle

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jan 05, 12:18am

Darryl. I feel so bad about your illness that I did something I never do. I didn't kick two of your stories off of the front page of groups to post one of my stories instead. This has never happened before. I've been ruthless.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jan 05, 12:20am

I was hospitalized for three separate weeks this summer. There were stories all around me, I just couldn't write them down. They're simmering back there, though. There are stories everywhere.

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Jan 05, 01:21am

Just read the good news on Facebook and its appearance here acts as confirmation. I like reiteration of good news.

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Jan 05, 11:49am

Darryl, I love what you write. I pray you return strong, healthy, and active: real soon.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Jan 05, 02:45pm

I wish I'd have scrolled down and read the good news first, which would have relieved me of the suspense up above. Glad the surgery went well, Darryl. My warmest wishes for a quick, smooth recovery.

• 20130617_093957.thumb
    Kari Nguyen
    Jan 05, 03:01pm

DP, sending all good and healing vibes your way. Rest, and know so many of us care.

Susan Gibb
    Jan 05, 04:57pm

So happy to hear that surgery went well. This attack struck like the first lines of a poem that demands to be written, rewritten, and turned into the joy of more beautiful moments.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jan 05, 07:15pm

Happy dancing for you Darryl! My continued prayers for a smooth and speedy recovery. Love and peace...

• Frankie Saxx
    Jan 06, 09:17am

Good news. :)

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jan 06, 12:50pm

Thinking of you, Darryl.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jan 06, 05:07pm

Just heard the news. Daryl, I send you tons of hugs and healing thoughts. Thinking of you and Melissa. I am glad the surgery went well. Heal and let me know if you need anything...

• Dsc_0162.thumb
    Michelle Elvy
    Jan 06, 07:19pm

Speedy recovery to you, DP. Wishing you and Melissa well. My thoughts are with you.

And Robert -- glad to see Beauty Comes Trailing After Us (a Christmas card) posted here. I was going to post the same thing here. It's wonderful DP and appeared in the December 2012 A Baker's Dozen.

Warm and wishful...

• Estelle_bruno.thumb
    Estelle Bruno
    Jan 06, 11:24pm

So sorry this happened Daryl, but believe me when I say you will recover very soon. I had the same thing 10 years ago, and here I am an old lady, still around.
    I send you my prayers.

• Jane.thumb
    Jane Flett
    Jan 07, 09:52am

So glad, and all the pure good thoughts sent your way for quick recovery.

• Jolly%20roger.thumb
    Michael Gillan Maxwell
    Jan 07, 02:51pm

Hey Darryl ~ thoughts and prayers! Prognosis sounds good. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery! MGM

• Updated_bio.thumb
    James Claffey
    Jan 08, 05:28pm

best wishes for a speedy recovery to darryl.

Robert Vaughan
    Jan 11, 10:32pm

Hello Fictionaut friends,

I just heard from Melissa Price, and Darryl is home and recovering from his operation very nicely. He was very touched by all the comments here and wrote a response poem. Melissa asked if I would post it here, and Susan Tepper to post it on her timeline on Facebook. So, this from Darryl, and we all send infinite LOVE:

The people who think the world is going to end

Are always going to be headed in the wrong direction

because love won't let that happen. The world changes as

a matter of fact not fiction, it's supposed to,

it's okay to. As long as love is alive in

any capacity (1 flower, 1 star, 1 child, 1 smile,

1 handshake, 1 dream, 1 dreamer) we have more than

enough of a fighting chance to survive and thrive again

and again. Thank you for your many kind notes, thoughts

and prayers. My family and I received them with gratitude.

As they were read aloud to me I began to

feel better not just inside the painful experience I was

having to go through but for the whole wide world

of people because I knew for certain that there is

genuine concern for one another--and that's enough for me.

Darryl Price Friday, January 11, 2012 Columbus

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Jan 12, 12:33am

so relieved to hear that Darryl is safely home and on the mend! Sending healing thoughts.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jan 12, 02:29pm

Beautiful poem. In contrast, over the last few months since June I had three consecutive one week hospitalizations coinciding with my leaving a job I hated. I worked with many people. Not one note. Not one call. Not one email. Not one card. Not one flower. Not one acknowledgement that i was in the hospital. It was devastating on top of my medical problems. It makes a huge difference when you are in the hospital to be reached out to. It was a Mental Health Department, a very sick one. This is so much more normal and mentally healthy. I'm grateful to be part of this group and vicariously feel happy for Darryl.

Susan Gibb
    Jan 12, 05:34pm

So wonderful to hear your words again, Darryl. So happy that you're on the mend. Love is always here for you and to give back to you the inspiration you've given us, we inspire you to get healthy and back at full power quickly.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.