1. Of, relating to, or belonging to the houtmans, an order of Australasian, omnivorous, bipedal mammals that inhabit cool, coastal areas, chiefly found along the south coast of the North Island of New Zealand
2. One who, for dubious reasons, moves or is moved to a new location (as in from one hemisphere to another)
3. A sudden emergence into action or expression, typically of written words
4. A paradoxical, insoluble, or difficult problem, often answered with a pun
5. A sound, brief and loud, having a wide frequency range
First use: 1962 (see also sally-stock)
Seems more effective than smoke signals.