Alphabetical stories

Dust

712712 views11 comment00 favs

It was the absence of small sounds he felt most. The clink of a spoon against china, a floorboard’s distant creak, the swish of that old, broken-toothed comb through her hair. A thousand tiny sounds that had proved he wasn’t alone.

Dust and Blood

12551255 views22 comments00 favs

A black wind raced ahead of the Merbreth and Juko could smell the thing's fur, matted with the blood of men. The coppery scent mingled with the fear coming off the men around him, a fear so palpable it became a tangible thing, something to be tripped over

Dust Scars

763763 views00 comments00 favs

A gurgle of sugar on bark-splotch or blips. A mess: blueprints, radar, or wrench. Lips swell neon blood. So much spit, the lunar tremors. Manipulated, blur flutter flicks. To lungs: choke on scraps of metal, lumber, nuclear. Stir the embers. She's a bone bath for…

Dust to Dust

941941 views44 comments33 favs

He began to chop the powdery substance and separate it into segments.

Dusty Winnemucca Road

10921092 views1111 comments77 favs

respect your parents. or not. stay put. or not. finish school. or not. get married. or not. stay married. or not.

Dutch Stake

618618 views66 comments11 fav

The Trust Fund editors said they are leaving Germany. They have been there while I have stayed home to tend American refugees.

Duty

921921 views66 comments66 favs

Two girls, twelve years old, run down San Pedro Avenue past the market, the middle school, seven driveways, their small chests heaving. The smooth soles of their Mary Janes keep slipping on the gravel driveways. Two men in a rust-orange van bear…

Duvet Poem

143143 views33 comments00 favs

Like Frank O'Hara'I do this, I do that.' Her high heels click-click, a sexy click track, across the street: a cliché of seedy male desire, a worn-out image written too many times. Am I a poet or just a voyeur? Sur les trottoirs…

Dylan to Return to Roots for Golden Years

620620 views11 comment00 favs

When informed that the returning celebrity is not Gary Puckett but Bob Dylan, the world-renowned singer-songwriter, Sklarski draws a blank. “Never heard of him,” he says as he takes off in his pick-up truck.

Dysplasia

945945 views33 comments22 favs

In my mind the village of 300 souls is called Nedoweska, but I confess that that's just a dreamy nickname I had for it as a boy. For various geopolitical reasons it had since become noteworthy as a historical site, though our interest was purely personal.…