Most read stories

Abre La Puerta

5858 views77 comments33 favs

My daughter, now four, can count to 15 in Spanish. How old are you? Cuatro. How old will you be on your birthday? Cinco. She likes Dora and thinks Diego is weird.

a conundrum

5656 views00 comments00 favs

Before today, nobody's called me honey since 1982 when I was arriving from a job interview and as I was getting out a yellow taxi in Anchorage, the landlord, a lady in her fifties with her hair up in a bun and native to the Midwest came to greet me and as she helped me out…

In The Middle of the Night

5454 views11 comment00 favs

The kiss is long, excitement builds, her surrender incremental, the seduction approaches a shattering peak... and you awake to find yourself tonguing a wet spot on your pillow.Back to sleep, and you are flying without wings, sharing face time with old heroes and role…

Indigo Man

5454 views22 comments11 fav

Poetry - 101

Atonement Circle

5252 views00 comments00 favs

When Roger opened the closet door, several guns fell forward at his feet. Most of them were rifles, weapons his stepfather had collected over three wars. Wooden bolt-action carbines, with worn leather shoulder straps, of this caliber and of that caliber. Both…

Not the Prelude in C# Minor?!

4949 views00 comments00 favs

Richard played the piece again, slowly, fingers stretching for the high notes while the left hand kept the bass line moving. Then the theme, both hands hard. The notes on the score blurred, every phrase reminding him of a different melody from a long-forgotten time and…

A Poem Without Whiskey

4949 views00 comments00 favs

Is like a song sung by Mickey Dolenz while the other three bop around a Technicolor box pretending to play an instrument. A poem without whiskey is like Bukowski has left the building. How do I write a poem now that I don't drink? And it used to go down like a…

Black Stag

4949 views00 comments00 favs

Around and down the curved slope of slippery embankment walked the young black male deer, lifting only one leg from each side, front-to-back then back-to-front, leaning to-and-aft, diagonally digging the heels of his alternate hooves into the quick caramel mud. …

Armed

4848 views11 comment00 favs

The trucker saw his opportunity; he grabbed the waitress's arm and said, "Hello, arm!""Hello," said Mary Lou, "and goodbye heart!""Arrest me, darlin', this is love in the first degree. Tie me to a tree, make me write bad checks..."The customer seated at the front table had…

No Fool Like An Old Fool

4848 views00 comments00 favs

Starting in his '60's, brain gravity began setting in, and the sand castles started pouring down from the sky like so much rain. That's when he opened his eyes, rubbing in disbelief. This was a risk worth taking. Its time had come and had, in fact, been patiently…

Yucatán Shakedown

4646 views11 comment00 favs

Peter had recently cracked his tooth chewing ice. It was the top left molar, not the far back one, but the one just in front of that. His dental insurance covered most of the extraction but none of the implant. An artificial tooth was considered cosmetic, and they…

Get Up, Go Home

4646 views00 comments00 favs

She breaks away and goes toward the water. The cold screams up through her feet and her knees nearly give out, and she wants to pause, to yell her ear-splitting wordless pain, but she follows the moon out into the Lake. She lurches forward, gasping with e

Last Minute Changes

4646 views44 comments00 favs

“This is what we'll do. We'll bury him so his body will never be found. How? That's the question.” Bob made another short, narrow lap around the trailer's living room slash kitchenette while unwrapping his sixth stick of Big Red gum and jamming it into his mouth…

How We Got Away With Everything

4242 views00 comments00 favs

"I've never told anyone this before, Luis," Gus flipped the quarter in the air, catching it deftly as he finished his cerzesa, wiped his mouth with the back of his burn-scarred hand, "And that's how we got away with everything: the money, the girl, and the crime. You got…

Boss Gloss

4242 views11 comment11 fav

Short-short fiction

Expecting Deus Ex Machina

4141 views00 comments00 favs

(or a similar beta version) ... Chip Donor™ Max.3 endscanned and thought, "What do they see in these RealComix? Junk, all scrap objects, bunch of loose frags!" RealParent™ Maxine barely looked up from her new touchless ThotPad 6000. Directed energy connected urge…

You Can't Say Meat is Murder

3838 views33 comments11 fav

but chopping down a tree isn't. It's all murder. People just like to choose their poison. You can't say stealing land is murder, but stealing somebody's freedom isn't. It all leads to the same thing. Shooting a lovely bird out of the sky is…

Harry's Hair

3838 views22 comments00 favs

Harry's hair had been in the process of falling out for years. He had tried every over-the-counter remedy and prescription available with no success. Over the years, his receding hairline had become a widow's peak, then male…

market your company now

3737 views2626 comments22 favs

List all your business online now.go to www.geminimarketing.co.za if you are looking to sell your business online or advertise your business it is advisable to trywww.geminimarketing.co.za.you will get the best clientel there as we have got a lot of traffic…

TGIF

3737 views00 comments00 favs

The mid-town bar was loud with neighborhood regulars and Friday night office workers; the bartenders were straining to hear wait staff yell drink orders over a blaring '90's soundtrack. Smokers had been relegated to the patio cafe behind the building. At the long bar, Adam…

Cumulo Nimbus

3737 views11 comment11 fav

Un-rhymed free verse

Is this all, folks?

3636 views00 comments00 favs

The carrots were being pulled from below, one by one, accompanied by a cork popping sound as the leafy green tops disappeared in the neat dirt row of adult plants. Anticipating the next one to go, I grabbed the top and pulled back against a surprisingly strong resistance,…

BIGGER

3535 views00 comments00 favs

Vegan friends, the following contains descriptions of hot dog and chicken eating. But 'vegetarian' is late Bronze Age word meaning Poor Hunter. Like 'fisherman' mean only good in water - Mongo Cro-Magnon Part One The BEST hot dog I ever ate by mike whitney, 63, in Clay…

Mongo Enlarges

3333 views22 comments00 favs

Time travel - the final frontier, accept no substitutesMongo was in flux, that nano second during molecular reintegration when it is essential to remain still, a weak spot in the Cro-Borg's can-do list. The human genome contains approximately three billion chemical base…

GRIDLOCK

3131 views22 comments11 fav

North of Los Angeles - 210 FreewayWhen Central Dispatch's Gate bot mistakenly set Mongo down in the middle of present day rush hour instead of his cave home in prehistoric Rudy Valley, traffic was, as usual, gridlocked in all directions; a woman in an SUV was on her cell…

Clara's Journal

2525 views11 comment00 favs

Not a true story.