Most read stories

Old Media Fixes: Finding Other Ways to Avoid Reality

124124 views00 comments00 favs

It's been nearly a full week since getting rid of our cable. As my lady put it, "It feels good not to be connected to the social unconscious." Do I feel like less of a programmed drone? Only to a certain extent.

Suicidal Thoughts

124124 views99 comments77 favs

There were so many suicide choices it seemed overwhelming. The chief criteria was the least pain.

Life Support

121121 views1717 comments88 favs

Here's how it works. The clock in my therapy office ticks off the minutes I get to spend talking with each patient, forty-five in and out, regardless of the amount of distress. Less distress has the option of being shoved out earlier but…

Boxwood at Nine

121121 views1212 comments1111 favs

I am Gloria, age nine, standing with my left hand on the green gate to the yard of the farmhouse that I will always consider Home

At the Vet

120120 views1212 comments55 favs

The vet sat with a young woman and old man on a bench in the waiting area. The vet talked like a machine-gun, giving post-surgical instructions for the care of a dog as the woman petted the back of her father who was trembling like…

Nearly A Woman

119119 views22 comments11 fav

On my way to the creative writing class the next week, I decided that, despite the canonical immortalization of ‘Virginia’ the nineteen-year-old nymph, I didn’t like his story. What was I going to say? Did he expect me to fuck him now? My hands grew sweat

Seer

118118 views1414 comments1010 favs

Celia was born with another baby's head atop her head and everyone in the village thought her cursed. It was because Celia's mother had been too young to be intimate with a man, twelve only, and the man, important in the village,…

Birthday

118118 views1212 comments66 favs

...

The Fly

118118 views1010 comments77 favs

We should put him out of his misery.

For Rent

117117 views1010 comments66 favs

A writer was looking for characters for a new story and decided to rent out a room in his brain, thinking it might attract someone interesting. Given the poor real estate market, there were no takers, and he decided to offer the room for…

Changeling

117117 views1111 comments88 favs

...

The wind plays Schubert

117117 views77 comments66 favs

.

The Hex

115115 views44 comments44 favs

.

Brenda Bossy Pants and her Friends

115115 views88 comments44 favs

Women have been mean to women since Biblical times, Sarah and Hagar vying for Abraham's loyalty, to the Archie comics with best friend rivals Betty and Veronica. Usually the conflict is over a man, but it could be merely envy or a…

Where Breakfast Went

115115 views55 comments11 fav

Larry’s unwashed hands held a cardboard sign. Two largely printed words that would, every now and then, elicit a thumbs up. “Got Pot?” was the only question he really wanted an answer to.

The Secret of Big Sur

115115 views55 comments22 favs

When you sit long enoughthe low-lying scrubbegin to swaynot with the windbut of their own volition.It takes timefor them to trust youWhen you sit long enoughthe tree top brancheswelcome waves of fogand gently pushthe mist inland.It takes timefor the cloud-tide to rise.When…

Poison

115115 views77 comments77 favs

The High Priest Psychiatrist at Orwellian Industries Medical Center where I used to work loved to hear himself say the following, to my horror, at every staff meeting: "We psychiatrists prescribe the poisons to the patients and the…

The Corridor of Men in Suits

115115 views1515 comments77 favs

...

Attachment

114114 views88 comments77 favs

I would like to credit St. Mary's and St. Joseph's for my decision to become a Buddhist nun. The day after I sacrificed my virginity to Johnny Delaney, St. Joseph's star quarterback, he dumped me for Fiona Kelly. That's when I decided to…

1972

112112 views00 comments00 favs

A daughter is stuck between the sun and the moon. She is excavating on a distant planet. She's a scientist or an astronaut. She's a time travelerknowing she will be conceivedon a sanctimonious day.This is the daughter you dreamedof having while you played with…

Gassed

111111 views2020 comments55 favs

...

The Magic of Theater

111111 views22 comments11 fav

A blue oil lamp on the piano behind a screen where Hedda Gabler shoots herself in that last scene.The audience hears, but cannot see, the gunshot. An elderly man —— new to the play and totally caught up in the story —— audily gasps, "Oh my…

Just Another Sunny Day of Terror

111111 views77 comments33 favs

...

Winter White

110110 views99 comments33 favs

She was seeing a new psychiatrist because her old one had died and she resented having to see any psychiatrists at all but needed medication for depression. This one was blonde, blue-eyed with a Russian accent. From the way…

other fish

108108 views00 comments00 favs

and so you waits for years, and he decides that all he needs to learn, he can learn from this woman, the contents of her ether being syrupy and more lush in his mouth than all the words of bound philosophy.

Hard Time

108108 views1919 comments55 favs

Obesity in America is now considered a felony, thanks to Michelle Obama's biceps and weight obsession. They've sent me to couch potato prison where I'm doing hard time in a dark corner of an unfinished basement filled with cobwebs that…

The Farmer's Sons

107107 views1111 comments77 favs

..

Krauts and Doubts

106106 views77 comments44 favs

Moral Dilemmas at Harvard

The Right Dose

106106 views1414 comments88 favs

...

Deanna Croce.

106106 views44 comments33 favs

["And you can tear a building down ... but you can't replace ... the MEMORIES ... "]