PDF

What She Remembers (Annie)


by sara t.


The last thing Annie remembers is, no, she doesn't remember a last thing.  She only remembers a first thing.  She remembers the first thing she felt when she briefly came to.  A heaviness on her body and a pounding on her head, the cold of the kitchen floor and something wet on her face. 

 

Then she blacked out again.

 

The first thing she remembers is being carried or rather  dragged up the stairs.

 

Then Nothing.

 

The first thing she remembers is the sound of footsteps coming towards her and something primal, a sound, she doesn't remember but was told later was coming from her.

 

Then Nothing.

 

The first thing she remembers is a voice, Mother, scared and unsure, then Father threatening, again, then Mother, submissive.

 

Then Nothing.

 

The first thing she remembers is a shadow, over her, Brother, silent tears and painful grimace on his face.

 

Then Nothing.

 

The first thing she remembers is sunshine, then her own dawning, and feeling the lumps on her head and bruises on her face and pain in her heart and aloness of her soul.

 

The first thing Annie always remembers is, Father Did It, Mother stood by, Brother cared but was helpless.
Endcap