PDF

You, the Correct Other, the One I am Looking For


by stephen hastings-king


I like to organize things. 

 

I like to put smaller things inside of bigger things except other times when I like to extract smaller things from inside of bigger things.

 

I like to put things in the places they belong then to take them back out of those places and put them other places maybe in a row, maybe in a square, maybe first one then the other depending on their number.

 

I admire my handiwork.

 

Then, when I can't stand it any more, I put everything back where it was.

You, the correct Other, the one I am looking for, you also like to put smaller things inside of bigger things except other times when you, the person I am looking for, like to extract smaller things from inside bigger things and arrange them maybe in rows,  maybe in squares, maybe first one then the other depending on their number. 

 

Together we will admire our handiwork. 

 

Then, when we can't stand it any more, we will put everything back where it was. 

 

And it will be joyous.

 

In a home, two senses of where things must go are better than one sense of where things must go because, alone, one sense of where things must go results in those things always being in exactly the same places so everything is always exactly where it should be in exactly the same way. 

 

You, the correct Other, the one I am looking for, you have exacting standards concerning where things must go.

 

I want to see the beauty of your arrangements.  


Together we will admire your handiwork.

I like to cook. 

I like to cook but sometimes find that my preference for things in their proper places gets the better of me and the things that I need to cook, which I have carefully arranged on the counter in either a row or a square depending on their number, sometimes those things need to be put back in their proper individual places.  Sometimes the cooking that I like to do is interrupted by countervailing movements of taking things out from inside other things, arranging them according to their number and putting things back inside of other things again .  

 

You, the correct Other, the one I am looking for, you will see this and hand me a glass of wine. 

You will know the exact color of wine and how much should be in the glass. 

You will hand me the perfect glass of wine and tell me everything is OK.

 

Endcap