PDF

The $275 Root Beer Float


by Jerry Ratch


 

That was some root beer float. It cost us a grand total of $275.

She pulls up in front of Fenton's Ice Cream Parlor and leaves the motor running while I jump out and run into the parlor.

It was early evening. We HAD to have a root beer float. You know how that feeling can overwhelm you? Just as I'm turning around to trot back out with the normally inexpensive root beer float in hand, I see a Deputy Sheriff standing next to our car door with a book of tickets in his hand.

They had just that day extended the red bus stop all the way from the far corner to the front of the ice cream parlor and sent out the off-duty officers to collect a little extra money for the Transportation District so they can finance their outrageous pension plans.

Well, I just ran off at the mouth at the cop, and he put his head down further into his book of tickets and started writing furiously, even though the motor on our vehicle was still running and she was in the F…ing driver's seat.

It was a $250 ticket, for being in the bus stop zone which had grown more than half a block long overnight! “I'm going to fight this ticket!” she said.

Myself, I had said enough after telling the cop what he could do with his entire book of tickets and where they should end up. And I meant UP!

But when she forgot to show up at her court date, they tacked an additional $25 fee onto the ticket, bringing the grand total to $275. That's for a root beer float!

But I have to say, it was the best root beer float we have ever tasted! Bar none!

Endcap