PDF

Joey's War


by Larry Strattner


Summer of Bobbi's twelfth year started out boring until her neighbor Joey Lemac managed to get a Swat Team out after him when he hunkered down in the sandstone cut just before the river railroad trestle and started shooting his German-made, Abercrombie and Fitch air gun at the windows of passing passenger trains on their way to and from the city.

Joey was dug in and refused to come out even after the cops showed up in all their badass takedown gear. Joey was lucky they didn't flash bang him, probably only because they couldn't get a grenade near him. He had dug a little hide in the wall of the railroad cut, difficult to see from the bottom, impossible to see from the top. He got to it using a rope. The cops pulled the rope up and Joey was trapped, but not defeated. When a cop finally rappelled down Joey tried to shoot him with the air gun but the cop sprayed Joey with pepper spray and dragged him out of his hidey hole. Even before they got him out of the cut Joey was already a neighborhood legend. The railroad wanted money for it's chipped windows, the cops wanted to electrocute him and Joey's father spent a few days chasing Joey in out and around his house with a wicked looking leather belt he was going to use to reform him. Joey wasn't shy about taking off when he saw the belt. During the chases there was much shouting and neighborhood entertainment.

 

Endcap