Forum / New Revised list of mags receptive to fictionaut work

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 05, 08:11am

This actually can be found in the other thread but inconveniently down at the bottom so I'm putting it here too.

List of magazines receptive to work that's appeared on Fictionaut:

THE LINNET'S WINGS
    RAMSHACKLE REVIEW
    METAZEN
    PANK
    ELIMAE
    JMWW
    THE ISTANBUL REVIEW
    LITSNACK

WOMEN WRITERS; A ZINE (By invitation from Ann Bogle)

Maybe: Drunken Boat

Not sure about The Northville Review; it's changed the posting on its Fictionaut page. Query.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 05, 08:12am

I meant to add that editors are welcome to add names to the list.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 05, 09:59am

David, thanks loads for your effort in this. It's extremely helpful to those of us who are new to the e-zine culture and its protocols.

• Fb_fanpage2.thumb
    George LaCas
    Aug 06, 12:36pm

Thanks for the new list, David. This is encouraging.

• Img0161_(2).thumb
    Beverly Akerman
    Aug 08, 10:37am

Hi David

Thanks for this list but when I look at these zines on Duotrope, it says "no reprints". Any comment?

• Vangogh-starry_night_ballance1.thumb
    Justin McAfee
    Aug 08, 11:17am

If you are more on the experimental/surreal writing, submit to our first issue: http://experimentalreview.submishmash.com/Submit.

Reprints, multiple, and simultaneous submissions are all allowed. More guidelines on the link page.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 08, 12:53pm

Thanks, Justin, and congratulations on the inaugural issue of " Experimentaire Review."

Dear Beverly,

( This reply is the electronic equivalent of saving a stamp.)

As you'll see, if you check the longer thread, most of the magazines on the list are on it because editors told us they'd accept Fictionaut materials. Or because a writer told us a magazine had knowingly accepted-- sometimes solicited--a Fictionaut piece.

Can't answer for the apparent discrepancy between that and the Duotrope listing, but at least for some it might be because they don't regard an appearance on Fictionaut as previous publication.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 11, 07:22pm

So add to the list,

Divine Dirt Quarterly
    Ocho
    Women Writers, A 'zine, by submission or invitation.
    Experimental Review.

• Dsc_0162.thumb
    Michelle Elvy
    Aug 15, 01:20am

Hey thanks. This is very helpful!

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Sep 25, 07:55am

Anybody have experience with Glimmer Train? I read at their site that internet publication does not disqualify a story from consideration in their contest.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 26, 08:42am

Do rejection slips count as experience? Probably not. Good luck though. Hope you win.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 26, 11:12am

Glimmer Train has changed its style from what I remembered; or, perhaps I misremembered their earlier anthologies. My wife reads them, but I've only recently used their issues as an alternative to sleeping pills.

I apologize in advance to anyone here who may have had their work published there, and would hasten to add that I've not read many issues lately. But as 'contests' become increasingly expensive and pervasive, I would caution anyone to study the tastes and focus of any journal before submitting their work, and especially before investing contest fees.

Glimmer Train never liked any of my work, rejected it consistently, but then, so have so many, many others. My experience does not suggest that Glimmer Train's taste is bad. Maybe it's my writing that falls short, though I'd be the last to insinuate such a thing.

As for contests ... a writer like Ann Bogle, whose work I admire, should not have to pay a 'submission tax' to anyone. It's off-topic and I have not addressed the true question, I know, but I like to grind my axes whenever and wherever the opportunity arises.

• Foto_s_kate_brown_001.thumb
    Kate Brown
    Sep 26, 02:50pm

Thanks for the list, David. Very useful indeed!

• Dsc_0321.thumb
    D'Arcy Fallon
    Sep 26, 03:14pm

David, thank you so much for your legwork.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 26, 06:28pm

Here's one you'll love, James: THE PARIS LITERARY PRIZE . (Paris: Quel cachet!) sponsored by Shakespeare & Co. the Paris bookstore. For a novella. Entry fee: a cool 95 bucks! Think I might pass on this one.

• Foto_s_kate_brown_001.thumb
    Kate Brown
    Sep 27, 04:05am

You can add BLIP to this list. My pieces Climbing and Falling, first posted on Fictionaut, are currently live there in 'This Week'. And if I hadn't posted on Fictionaut first, they wouldn't be - so in the other debate about whether posting work on Fictionaut aids publication, this is definitely a big 'YES'.

• Martha-williams.thumb
    Martha Williams
    Sep 27, 02:33pm

I think Like Birds Lit is another yes - you can sub your story to the Fn group and Kait Mauro selects from there - http://www.fictionaut.com/groups/like-birds-literature - there's a nice collection growing.

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Sep 27, 03:33pm

Hey everyone,

Haven't had a chance to read all the discussions here, but I'd like to mention that A-Minor is also open to work previously appearing here at Fictionaut. I've published a few that have been here since beginning Am earlier this year.

Ann Bogle
    Apr 21, 12:20am

Thanks, H-M Brown, for relocating this list.

Women Writers: a Zine ceased publication last summer, before its June issue. The magazine had a twelve-year run with millions of visitors. I offered to assume responsibility for publishing it, but the publisher wanted to let it rest. The archives remain.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Apr 21, 01:39am

It is the Istanbul Literary Review. Somehow the word Literary in our name has been dropped recently. But not by us--

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Apr 21, 12:08pm

since i used to publish everything on fictionaut first, every mag <a href="http://blog.marcusspeh.com/?page_id=60">on my list</a> of publications fits here. a first cursory look revealed that there are plenty that weren't listed here yet:
    4'33'',
    whale sound,
    qarrtsiluni,
    rumpus,
    glass coin,
    used furniture review,
    pure slush,
    thunderclap,
    camroc press review,
    up the staircase quarterly,
    SAND...

however, i've given up submitting flash pieces so i don't know if any of these have changed their policy in the past few months.

• Portrait_color_clip.thumb
    Danny Goodman
    Apr 21, 01:01pm

fwriction : review and TrainWrite have both published Fictionaut pieces in the past, and, frankly, they rock.

Also, fwriction : review is doing a "Fictionaut Issue" in June - six prominent Fictionaut writers, and some of the work has previously appeared here.

• Matt004sm.thumb
    Matt Potter
    Apr 21, 01:19pm

Yes yes yes ... thank you Marcus - Pure Slush, of course

Ann Bogle
    Dec 11, 04:27pm

Is The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts one of those willing to consider stories that have previewed on blogs or Fictionaut?

I relocated this forum topic by searching at Google. There may be another, related thread. Please repost if you know where that is.

On Google, the forum threads seem all to be showing 2013 as the year of initiation. One of those I initiated in 2011.

That is a technical concern to mention to Jurgen or Carson.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.