PDF

aren't we having fun?


by Jerry Ratch


 

I had a dream and in it a small deer came to the side of the road and licked the salt from my wounds. I was lying beside you in a ditch, after crawling out of a smashed car.  We were just kids, really, not much more, but real love and lust and all our body parts lay scattered around us. I saw a body that looked like mine. Somebody put a head on the body, and an arm and a leg, and stuck it all back together again. Then it sat up and said, “Hello.” Happy to be alive. Happy to be in love with you, after driving the long road home from Virginity.

 

Look, I just want you to face the toys of our youth, that's all, before someone has killed someone real. I want you to look close. See the scars, the burns, the terror?

 

I remember I was eating in this restaurant with another boyfriend.  He was talking while I was wolfing down a hamburger, and he couldn't see that I was not listening. And still he kept talking. Well, I smiled. I didn't hear a word he said, you understand, but I smiled.  Honestly, I'd hate to be human here. Still, I don't think I can sleep.

 

And I remember him saying, “Aren't we having fun?” And me saying, “Yes, we are.”

Endcap