PDF

Destiny Knocking


by J. Mykell Collinz


An increasing percentage of the land on which crops can be grown is effectively controlled by a few wealthy landowners and multinational corporations. Independent farmers in poor rural communities, wanting to retain ownership of their land, are joining forces with landless, unemployed workers to form a cooperative movement. Paramilitary hit squads are attempting to identify and target movement leadership. During a clandestine meeting to plan a global strategy, a political platform is being discussed.

The woman at the microphone with shaven head dressed like a Buddhist nun is sister Hildigard Helen. She called for land usage to fulfill a social function, to provide an affordable and sustainable way of life for all. Even members of her own movement shouted her down. They want aggressive action not moral platitudes. Fight force with force, they shouted.

My mind is in turmoil as I take her place at the microphone. Just waiting in line has sapped much of my energy. I don't know what to say, except to repeat what sister Helen said. Yet, in order to use the land to fulfill a social function, we need to possess it first, don't we?

"Fight force with force," I shout into the microphone while thrusting my fist in the air with all the force I can muster.

The auditorium irrupts with thunderous applause.

Endcap