Forum / Time Spent on Fictionaut

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Jun 06, 02:04am

I'm enjoying the stories posted here, so much so that I'm spending more time reading them than writing my own stuff. Therefore, I'm setting up a system for myself:

1. Read 2-4 stories a day.
    2. On Tuesday and Thursday, I'll read 2 short stories more than 2,000 words. This might please those of you that get few comments on longer work.
    3. If you have something you want me to read, especially those of you on my contact list, please let me know; otherwise, your stories might slip through the cracks.

Thank you

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Jun 06, 12:55pm

Matthew -

Your post was so funny! I've been printing out the longer stories, reading, then coming back to comment.

Yes, fictionaut can be a bit addictive!

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jun 06, 02:28pm

I agree with you both-- it tends to be addictive because there's so much good writing on this site, and then someone whose stuff you just love pops up, and so you gotta read that, then there's another one, and so on, and so forth...
    Yikes! Then there goes half your day.
    But I always feel good reading work here, and it keeps away the lonely ghosts that can hover around the writer

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Jun 06, 05:15pm

I love Matthew's rules for Fictionaut.

My current rules - mutable, constantly, of course --

1. I love to read work that has gotten lots of eyeballs but no comments.

2. I love to print out longer pieces and when I have a nice, fat stack, and I cannot bear my hands on the keyboard a minute longer working on my own material, I go to a pretty place somewhere else, and I read, then I comment. And those writers, whose works I've printed out, some of them get a whole long series of comments, because I am still in writer, self-editor mode, and the pen is out. Either good, or bad, for them.

3. If I find a piece that resonates with me, I dive in, and read all (or a chunk, depending on the postings) of that writer's work.

4. That if a writer has published a lot, I find that piece of work that has received the fewest views.

5. I love to have a piece hit me, but with my script development brain at full mode, to email the writer, are they open to actual, serious comments.

6. That I love to feel that to and fro, between writers and readers on this site. That the smallest comment on one's own story has the ability to transform the way you are seeing things yourself.

My rules for today.

Tomorrow they may change.

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Jun 06, 07:51pm

Some nice rules Ms. Wolas. I might borrow a couple.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jun 13, 11:41am

I have been trying to set up some rules for myself but it hasn't happened. I break them because I get so involved in the site. I love reading such great work and want to keep going.

I am so busy like everyone else so I might have to try some sort of rules or I won't get anything done!

I am going to try reading at least one-two stories or poems a night at the end of the day.

Then on week-ends, read more so I don't feel behind.

Well, maybe this way, I will stay up to date on Cervena Barva Press business, ILR work and X-Peri Magazine. I need more time in the day!

I am bombarded with going to boring conferences for my job the next two weeks. Wish me luck! I may be silent the next few weeks but then will be back!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jun 13, 02:09pm

Like all these rules. I'm going to borrow from several of you.

First, though, my caveat -- I am REALLY trying HARD to punch through to the end of my second novel, and have set a deadline of June 30. So I MUST limit my reading. I also am looking forward to shorts and bathing suits, so instead of 'treating' myself evenings with chocolate or ice cream, I am going to treat myself to 1-2 fn petit fours every evening, but ONLY after I've completed my daily writing. My reward.

That said...

1/ I will read individuals whose work I love as much as possible; selfish me -- I learn so much from these writers.

2/ I will read at least one person I have not read before, and comment.

3/ I will favor individuals who do not post frequently; the board gets full, and I want to encourage shy and/or newer writers.

4/ I will continue to look for longer pieces and, like Cherise, print them out and savor over a longer haul

5/ Love the give-and-take here, so will try to give more than I take to keep the spirit of community.

Peace...

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Jun 13, 03:09pm

Linda, loved that - 1-2 fn petit fours!

Great luck on your deadline!

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Jun 13, 03:28pm

I have really fallen in love with this fictionaut community. Reading lots of interesting stories - some terrific, superb, startling, fascinating, some middling, some that try too hard, some quite novice, some trying to be shocking just because...

Yet everyone has something to say, and I find that I use fictionaut in myriad ways --

1. to engage with other writers on a serious level. That communal sense that everyone is working away, looking for feedback,for acknowledgement that sitting alone pounding away in your own fictional world(s) might resonate with others - that while it is all fully in your own head, you can pass some of that off and get immediate feedback, remarkable in itself.

2. as a creative palate cleanser, when I need a break from my own work, giving myself time to unconsciously work through part of a story, without leaving my own creativity behind.

3. sometimes as a wonderful mind-numbing device, just reading and responding, reading and responding! Letting all the great words and interesting stories wash over me, like eating lots of different tapas!

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Jun 13, 04:44pm

I find that the pdf generator is a GREAT way to engage your work in a fresh manner.

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Jun 13, 04:52pm

Nothing like seeing your work in a "published" format, in a format that resonates more than just printing out pages from your own computer.

I completely agree, Matt.

• Picture_002.thumb
    Stephen Carter
    Jun 13, 07:35pm

I decided early on to try not to become too enmeshed in fictionaut.

I think its great and that you couldn't find find a kinder group of people to share your work with.

But i know where Tobias Wolff was coming from (and i hate reading him, by the way) when he said "all i need is window not to write."

Thats me.

I realize every writer is different and procrastination may not be quite the impediment for some that it is for others...but for me...if i dove in head first here, as opposed to what i've done thus far, which is more like dipping a toe in the water, i'd probably never finish another piece of writing.

But kudos to those who can keep the proverbial 'ass in the chair' and write AND spend a lot of time on the internet.

I'm not there yet. Its still a zero sum game for me.

But maybe one of these days...

• Picture_002.thumb
    Stephen Carter
    Jun 13, 07:37pm

sorry, "all i need is A window not to write."

• Estelle_bruno.thumb
    Estelle Bruno
    Jun 14, 10:46am

As Matthew said, I also try to read 2 stories a day, since I have "writers block", I am dried up, so happy to at least read your wonderful stuff.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Jun 15, 05:58am

I'm afraid I've fallen quite behind on reading here. Used to read every single piece posted but frankly, now seeing the same names on the front page constantly is an automatic skip-over for me and I seek out the new authors or those who post less frequently. Then I realize I need to go back several pages and try to at least read five or more pages back.I love Fictionaut, but it's producing a bit more of a guilt complex (for not reading and not keeping up) than I can handle every day!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 15, 07:21am

What's addictive for me is not the time I spend reading here, since the level of quality is so high as opposed to other places I know of. Reading here can only benefit my writing through exposure to brittle bits of brilliance from countless perspectives, sort of a crunchy muesli for the mind, chock full of vitamins and irony.

No, at least for me, the addiction is the instantaneous feedback you get from posting something that, within 10 to 12 hours, provides you either accolade or disappointment, something you might otherwise wait months to hear by sending off manuscripts in the normal fashion. Don't get me wrong, this is a valuable tool for experimentation, but if one were not careful, his or her priorities may change and beneficial daily disciplines could be affected.

I love this site and am not criticising the format or the medium in any way, but recognise, at least in myself, the inner stand-up comic who's been dying to get past my novelistic hegemony and go bust-out flash.

Like Linda, I am working hard on a novel and fighting back the inner beach-bum as well.

Until this novel's done, I'll be reading more than posting here, but rules? The minute I start listing rules, I'll lose. Can't be writin' down no rules, man. Not even the novelist will stand for that.

• Dsc_0321.thumb
    D'Arcy Fallon
    Jun 15, 08:00am

I have enjoyed reading this thread too.

I agree with much of what James said up above.

I was out of town for a little more than a week with little access to e-mail so couldn't dip in much. I go in and out with Fictionaut. It truly IS addictive, and can sometimes feel a little overwhelming to me. The voices of all you so clearly translate over the page--the warmth, the humor, the beauty--that I want to respond to everybody, but alas I can't.

When I'm working fulltime (Aug through May)it is hard to summon the energy to read and respond, much less to write something and post. And posting can be a little nerve-wracking for me! It gets to be a carrot (praise), which I don't think is good for my psyche. (Though we all crave it.) Or there's just...silence or non-responsiveness. I feel bad for folks who bravely put their work out there and get no comments at all. That is hard! I'm tender and I worry. So I try to remind myself that we're a community, it's about the work, it's about supportive, smart feedback, and it's about being artists together.

Sometimes I feel like I can never keep up with reading and commenting in a thoughtful way. So then Fictionaut becomes this hot little red room I pace around in until I have to...get out for air. (I know, I know...get on some medication, for god's sake!)

I don't know if any of this makes sense. But I, like many of you, cherish this group. And Fictionaut has been good for me.

Whew. The coffee just kicked in.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jun 15, 08:11am

I absolutely love Fictionaut because of the people. They represent everything there is to write about and bravely put their work out there for others to see. It is hard I agree when so much revolves so fast to keep up with all the postings but I think everyone knows this and tries their best to participate. Just get on the site when you can and comment when you feel like it and enjoy it for what it is--a great big community of lots and lots of very creative people from all over the world.I mean how fun and cool is that? We're lucky to be a part of it.And I'm feeling glad about it, too.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Jun 15, 03:41pm

Like James, I'm not good with rules (they are like outlines for my novel; I write them down then toss them out), but there are a bunch of wonderful ideas here (guidelines, how's that :) So I'm going to borrow them and try to read here more often with one specific thing in mind. Because, like Linda and James, I'm working on a novel and need to stick with it. I'm always grateful for the generosity of people here; my goal is to someday be as generous as many of you are. It is an amazing writing community, this little blessing called Fictionaut.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jun 15, 06:42pm

There is a stunning variety of good work here. I have a pattern of reading people whose work I like, plus I seem to find new voices to admire on an almost daily basis. That is quite amazing

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Jun 16, 01:59am

Good thread. Thanks, Matthew for starting it. I've been so busy in the last couple of months that I haven't had time to read.

Rules are good, and two stories a day is doable. The problem with this is that stories are being uploaded at a faster rate than most folks can read them. They disappear from the first page, as Susan Gibb suggested above, before anyone has a chance to see them.

My rules: Do better. OK, my rule.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.