Forum / Awkword Paper Cut

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 12, 11:57pm

There is a crowd funding campaign underway to help support the release of Awkword Paper Cut.

It is a worthy endeavor to support and to consider submitting to.

For more info: www.awkwordpapercut.com

Writers are poor, but who can't put up at least a dollar for something worth while?

Kick Starter Campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1754396571/awkword-paper-cut-innovative-storytelling-beyond-t

• Dscn4564.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Mar 13, 01:36am

Looks worthy to me! Hope it gets lots of support.

• Me.thumb
    Steven Gowin
    Mar 13, 05:06am

Do check this out and throw in a couple of bucks. My wife says I'm a cheap Mick but I threw in anyway. And I am cheap.

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 13, 08:07am

Thanks Carol and Steven!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 13, 03:15pm

Fascinating... great concept.

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 13, 03:26pm

The Awkword Vow:

To stand independent of influence based on revenue, competition, favoritism, prejudice, notoriety, personal gain, or rules of the road; to proceed objectively in the effort of showcasing the unique, extraordinary, and finely crafted telling of stories while providing platforms for learning and the sharing of ideas.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 13, 05:35pm

Here's a sample of the kind of quality work he's looking to support:

NEW ORLEANS short film FINAL

Fine, fine work.

I'm in!

This is a great project and should be supported.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 13, 05:37pm

Sorry, the link to the video didn't copy in.

Here 'tis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoTelwXuww&feature=youtu.be

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 13, 09:07pm

I gotta say yes to that!

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 13, 10:23pm

This is a cool looking project.

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 14, 02:05am

I think it's an interesting market test. If there aren't enough people willing to donate at least $5 to help get the thing started, then it tells me that even fewer will buy a subscription or buy even one issue.

Sure, you could beg people to support it initially, but it is really just a bike tire with a leak, and you can only ride around on the rims for so long.

If you think you'd pay for an issue of Awkword Paper Cut, then go donate $5. Consider it a market test.

-michael dickes

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Mar 14, 02:19am

I'm all in, heart and sinker!!! I wish you the best with this worthy project, Michael, and want to be in this or the next issue! Best to you with your endeavors!

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 14, 02:44am

Thanks everyone for the words of support.

Wanted to add something to my last comment:

If you wouldn't ever order a copy, then PLEASE don't donate. And I appreciate that, really. Sure, a lot of people would say that's idiotic. I say that it's gotta be real or it doesn't mean anything and if it holds no value, then I'm apt to move along. I can say, however, that this project intends to create something with character, quality, and value.

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 14, 01:42pm

How are the issues going to be?

If it's just a web thing, I probably wouldn't, because I have to really, really want to watch a video to watch it on the computer. If there's going to be a high res download that I could play on the TV, then I might. (You know, depending on who's in it and stuff.)

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Mar 14, 02:17pm

Great project, Michael. Yes.

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 14, 05:33pm

Since we're working with words in a dance with images and sound, the final result will be video. Each monthly issue will be available in a number of ways.

~Webview
    ~Download to mobile devices
    ~To Your TV if you have that capability
    ~And DVD

So far the donations are mirroring the sad trait of the modern consumer: Everyone wants, but nobody wants to pay. Art grows on trees, right? There's no bleeding going on...right?

Look - I am generally a mellow, kind hearted person who meditates daily and tries to live as mindfully as possible. As soon as someone tells me "It'll never work," or tries to stand in my way, I lose it and I'm counting black beans in the coat of a tenacious son of a bitch. With that in mind, Fuck the rule. There are exceptions, we've all seen them, therefore it is possible. That's where I'm going. The minimum donation is five bucks. Jesus. Ahem, pffffwhew. Ommmmmmmm.....

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Mar 14, 11:24pm

I'm in!

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 15, 01:37pm

Sorry if I upset you by asking, Michael. You did say, "If you wouldn't ever order a copy, then PLEASE don't donate."

I have an elderly netbook, it's a pain in the ass to watch videos on it. Half the time, YouTube crashes my browser. I look at, maybe, two or three video clips a week. Sometimes none at all. So if the only option was to watch an issue on the web, I would probably never purchase one. So I asked.

And I like my computer. If I found a new one I liked more, I'd upgrade. But this one does the things I want to do, and we're used to each other. My fingerprints are worn into the keys. I shouldn't have to apologize for the technology I choose to use being incompatible with someone's art.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 15, 02:15pm

Patience, Michael.

Some of us don't sit on a ready reserve'o'cash. We gotta wait for the dole... as Mr. Limbaugh likes to call my Social Security checks.

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 15, 03:34pm

Oh dear...I done it again.

I'm afraid my sense of humor doesn't always translate when I type. No worries. It's all good. I appreciate and respect your opinions and support.

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 15, 03:59pm

On the bright side, something finally motivated me to join Kickstarter instead of just clicking a link, saying, "That's pretty cool," and then clicking away again.

It's that whole five text fields to fill in. My sloth knows no bounds.

Fortunately it doesn't move real fast either, so I have a 50-50 chance of overtaking it.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Mar 15, 05:14pm

I back this project with my heart, my voice, and my money. As a dabbler in new media, a published and translated into Polish hypertext writer, and a seeker of some free strummings on a Spanish guitar to use in a hypertext already written, illustrated, and awaiting sound, I can say that I've seen a need for another venue for audio/visual narrative work and wish Michael complete success with this.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 15, 05:45pm

I was laughing when I said it...

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 15, 08:37pm

Be sure to sign up for the newsletter!

http://awkwordpapercut.weebly.com/sign-up-free.html

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 15, 09:21pm

Okay, I'm down. But this better be good!

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 15, 09:43pm

Here's something to give you a better idea...

http://youtu.be/6p3tPle1qrU

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 16, 05:27pm

Keeping this up top... needs to be seen, eh?

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 19, 05:25pm

Thanks to Michelle Elvy, James Claffey, Willie Smith, Marcus et Christopher Allen for the kind comments on the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoTelwXuww&feature=youtu.be

It was a WONDERFUL experience working with Michael on this project.

(the bells are EQ'd a bit too loud at the opening, but after that I recommend some volume be applied...)

;-)

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 26, 09:45am

Just checking to see how it's coming along.

Joani Reese
    Mar 27, 01:11am

Just watched the video this morning--masterful. Great work, both of you.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Mar 27, 01:38am

I wish I could impress everyone with the importance of what Michael's doing here. There is just so much opportunity for the writer in the new media field and Michael knows what he's doing with this. I'm sure it'll be a success despite the rough start with funding.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 27, 01:42am

Here, here.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 27, 01:44am

I meant hear, hear!

Brain freeze.

Joani Reese
    Mar 28, 11:30pm

When's the next grand offering coming up? Love this stuff.

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 28, 11:32pm

Agree, Susan.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 29, 12:48am

Howz about an update from sir Mike on how it's going.

Dolemite
    Mar 29, 01:20am

(personally schpeaking, I just had an acceptance from an Irish mag that also includes a cd of readings from the issue, so maybe another collaboration is in order...)

Dolemite
    Mar 29, 01:38am

I might add, though, that it takes a HUGE amount of energy/time to create something like Michael did, so thanks again to everyone who left a comment on der youtube.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 29, 02:14am

That was a fantastic piece of work. I was impressed. The concept is probably the best new thing in the world today. Cheers to all involved.

Dolemite
    Mar 29, 02:15pm

(Just received this update from Mr. Mike)

03/29/2013

Continued thanks for your support. The Kickstarter campaign must be successful. It is a very small step, but necessary to fund the first issue, a marketing campaign, and seeking serious funding – all for the sake of the story!

I’ll be taking my guitar along with info sheets back into the subway today to raise money and awareness for the project. I hope to hit Union Square again tomorrow. A couple of days ago, I had my cards read by Uversa-Oumbajuah who sat like a Rastafarian Buddha. The cards look good! :)

I’ve been making many great connections in the last couple of weeks and have no doubt that there is a vast well of work to showcase and a huge potential audience for APC. Here’s what’s on the slate for the first issue in May: Click HERE

OTHER FEATURES • Poet and photographer Rachel Eliza Griffiths. MA in English Literature from the University of Delaware and the MFA in Creative Writing from Sarah Lawrence College. In 2011, Griffiths appeared in the first ever poetry issue in Oprah’s O Magazine as a new emerging poet. Her literary and visual work has appeared in The New York Times, Poets & Writers, Crab Orchard Review, Indiana Review, Comstock Review, THRUSH, and many others. • DIY tips for recording audio and video. • A look at writing with economy. • The debut of our very own Awkword Paper Cut Radio station!

Future Goal: Taking over Times Square electronic signs and billboards with a story video. It’ll happen.

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 29, 02:32pm

Thx.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 30, 02:47am

Yep. Got the same update e-mail. Great stuff.

"Here’s what’s on the slate for the first issue in May: Click HERE "

The "Click Here" link didn't copy above. Here's the page it takes you to:

http://awkwordpapercut.weebly.com/preview-issue.html

• Frankie Saxx
    May 20, 05:08pm

Was bummed to see this didn't make it's kickstarter. :(

Joani Reese
    May 22, 09:56pm

Frankie: There's still a contribute button on the site itself. It's so cool, it needs lots of love from us all.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    May 23, 02:07am

And while you're at it, why not cruise on over to YouTube and give the video some love...you know...be a devil...leave a comment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoTelwXuww

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    May 23, 02:12am

btw J - that eyeball is creeping me out.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    May 23, 02:21am

Even James Lloyd Davis left a comment on the video. If he can do it...

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    May 23, 02:25am

Hell, even *I* left a comment. Only took me two hours and a dozen e-mails to Matt to figure out how.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.