Forum / On Writing Humor:

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Feb 05, 08:05pm

"A critical element for all humor -- and this was first cited by Plato many centuries ago -- is that at least one of the main characters needs to be an orangutan." -- Dave Barry

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 05, 08:19pm

Although in another context and with a different member of the ape family, the point would seem to be underscored by James Agee in his essay on the essential comedy of Laurel and Hardy.

Agee describes a scene from one of their films in which Stan and Ollie are attempting to carry a piano across a rope bridge suspended over an abyss. Halfway across they meet a gorilla.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Feb 05, 09:55pm

The essence of humor is someone else's discomfort.

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Feb 06, 01:36am

David: Agee's such a fine reviewer and writer. I can picture his set-up and chuckle (snuck!).

Serge: Very true -- the writer must make the reader think, "I'm glad that didn't happen to me!"

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Feb 06, 01:44am

Jimmy Carr says humour lies in the conflict between the expectation built up in the story and the payoff dropped in the punchline.

Lxx

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Feb 06, 08:42pm

Letitia: Good quote. It'sallabouttiming.

"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." -- E.B. White.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 06, 10:26pm

I agree with Mr Dennison's assessment.

"One man's pain is another's delight."

I don't know who said that, but I'll take the credit.

Dolemite
    Feb 06, 10:59pm

"I don't know who said that"

Popeye

;-)

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Feb 07, 01:35am

Hiya, JLD. How's it hangin'?

Serge: Popeye and Jesus said, "I am what I am." True -- they were what they were.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 07, 01:55am

"It is what it is." Bill Belichick ( too many times to count.)

• -5.thumb
    RW Spryszak
    Feb 07, 01:27pm

Humor is like quantum physics. If you look at it, it changes.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Feb 07, 05:28pm

I have a "joke" I have tried several times around my apartment, alone. It "works" 90% of the time, but I have felt that I need to sneak up on it, and a couple times it fell flat. I haven't "tried it" on another living (present) person, yet, but I may try it on one person. Shy? I'll see. The joke is created by a shadow on the dining room wall. In the joke I wear my blue/orange/purple parka with fur ruff around the hood. I wear the hood up during the joke. I leave on the overhead kitchen light to create the wall shadow. Then I walk out of the kitchen toward [my] shadow on the dining room wall and turn my head from left to right, side to side, and say, "First Woman on Earth." Usually, it is very funny to imagine, perhaps due to my attitude in turning my head side to side, as if appraising this place called Earth (Home) as its first woman visitor. A couple times it was funny at first then fell flat, and the shadow looked more like a hoody hoodlum shadow than like "first woman on earth." Then I let it rest and tried it again a different day, and it worked again (definitely funny).

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 07, 10:09pm
  • Robin Graham
    Feb 08, 08:54am

Bergson is good on this

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4352

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 08, 02:32pm

Someone came up with this:

"Laughter: any laxative therapy of risibility for those suffering from constipation of the soul. Its efficacy is determined when the subject looks into a mirror."

Dolemite
    Feb 08, 06:14pm

Superman is getting tired of being a superhero. So, he decides to go out and have some fun. He flies to Gotham City and asks Batman if he wants to go with him, get drunk, and get laid. Batman says no man, I gotta protect Gotham City, you know. So Superman flies to Spiderman and asks him if he wants to go out, get drunk, and get laid. Spiderman also refuses by saying he has to protect the city. So Superman goes alone. He's flying along when he sees Wonder Woman at her pool, sunbathing in the nude. He thinks to himself "I'm as fast as a speeding bullet. I'll giver her a quick pop and she won't notice" So he flies down, has his way with her and flies back up. Wonder Woman says "Baby, that was great!" The Invisible Man says, "Yeah! but my ass is KILLING ME!..."

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Feb 08, 07:15pm

Lots of comedians say you're either born funny, or whatever. Applies to writing somewhat...you can tell when someone is trying to be funny, whether device, or artifice, or "jokish," humor is just a given: some have it, some don't. And, of course, it is as subjective as sexual attraction. Or any other subjective topic.

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Feb 08, 08:53pm

Robert: Pro comedians always say comedy is very serious business.

The biggest mistake writers make is prefacing their stories with, "This is a humorous little story." The reader (i.e. editor) will automatically think, "Oh, yeah? I'll decide." Kinda a negative start.

During the narration, often the writer will use; "Then she laughed." Or simply, "They laughed." That's telling; the writer hasn't SHOWN anything for the character, or characters, to laugh at.

Hemingway said, "When a story takes on a life of its own, the writer should get the hell out of the way." Generally, humor writers have a hard time staying out of the story.

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Feb 09, 06:46pm

Interesting discussion. I think humorous writing relies greatly on timing and possibly the number of apes.

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Feb 10, 01:20am

Christopher: I'm not going to monkey with your statement.

The funniest people I've known, in my long, shady life, didn't know they were being funny. That's the way to write humor.

Dolemite
    Feb 10, 03:20am

Spider, spider, on the wall,
    Ain't you got no sense at all?
    Can't you tell that wall's been plastered?
    Get off that wall, you stupid...spider.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 10, 09:04pm

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is."
    - Francis Bacon

If you don't believe it, just ask the orangutan. He ain't lion.

Christopher Allen
    Feb 11, 08:34am

The narrator of a book I published this year is one of those people, Ramon. He's unaware that he's funny, and I agree that this is one aspect of literary humor. The unexpected is also important and the timing of the unexpected reaction or situation. In situation comedy writing, there's the set-up and the pay-off. In a few sitcoms, like Friends' there is also a technique that has a second unexpected pay-off that takes the humor one step further.

Even when all of these technical elements "work," they may not lead to a text that every reader fins humorous.

I often wonder how real people are influenced by Hollywood writers' sense of humor. I know we're probably not talking about sitcoms, but the average reader is much more likely to be affected by sitcoms than Dickens.

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Feb 11, 08:57pm

Serge: That's a good use of typography to provide the unexpected.

Sally: Love the Bacon quote. Orangutans stopped speaking to me when they caught me with a chimpanzee.

Christopher: Two sure-fire ingredients to humor; "Thank God that didn't happen to me" and surprise (unexpected).

Sitcoms rely on a hilarious laugh track (as with those BBC sitcoms on PBS). Studios bring in friends and family of the actors and production crew, then send the edited-master-tape out for "sweeteners".

Christopher Allen
    Feb 12, 01:12am

The "laugh track" is a character in my book. That said, I've been in the audience a few times and didn't have the feeling there was any difference between the live laughter and what ultimately aired when I saw the episode on TV. The Germans criticize American sitcoms because there IS actually a laugh track when they view the sitcom in German since the laughter has to be added back in to the overdubbed German voices.

Schadenfreude can be funny, but one doesn't have to be a humorist to appreciate it. As a humorist, I'm more interested in the way sitcoms teach people how to react to insult and injury. In sitcoms, the character is expected to stare into space until the audience has stopped laughing (at his stupidity) when in real life he'd be hurt. From I Love Lucy to The Big Bang Theory Americans TV has played a large role in shaping America's sense of humor.

Dolemite
    Feb 12, 01:47am

Cultural difference/relevance in humor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSW8osFi3hY

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 12, 02:54am

Looked a lot like 'Jackass,' uh... Serge.

Dolemite
    Feb 12, 03:02am

Not advocating....exposing...

Dolemite
    Feb 12, 03:04am

(though I thought it was hilarious)

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 12, 04:16am

It was.

Dolemite
    Feb 12, 04:21am

;-)

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 12, 03:32pm

Perhaps our cultures are not as different as we'd like to think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rCJgu8Wquo

Dolemite
    Feb 12, 05:53pm

What can you do with an Englishmun?

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 12, 06:12pm

What's the funniest line you ever wrote? Please include citation so we can find it in context.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 12, 06:43pm

"What can you do with an Englishmun?"

Uh...shoot him with a brussel sprout.

Bah-doom-pah!

That's the funniest line I ever wrote, right there.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 12, 06:50pm

Acshally - David, you should start a new thread with that question. I can see that being a lot of fun.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 12, 07:55pm
  • You must log in to reply to this thread.