Forum / Good news and bad news

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 07, 03:37pm

Good news: my short story, "Knitting the unraveled sleeves" was chosen as a finalist entry in the Eric Hoffer Award competition and for publication in the annual anthology "Best New Writing 2013" available from Hopewell Publications in October of this year.

Bad news: the short list is out for the Prose award and I'm not on it.

Either way, it's an honor and I'm thrilled to have the story included in the anthology. It's difficult enough to place short stories of any length and this is one of about seven pieces in the range of 4-10,000 words I've written over the past two years.

One down, six to go.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jul 07, 04:17pm

Yay for you, James! Congratulations to a fine writer. I am pleased for you and your success.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 07, 05:35pm

Congratulations, James. That's very exciting news, and entirely deserved.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 07, 07:09pm

Great news, James. Congratulations to you.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 07, 08:08pm

Thanks, everyone. Even better news (for me at least) is that my WIP novel, tentatively titled "Trajectory" is about 50 pages from completion.

• Robin Graham
    Jul 07, 08:21pm

Knitting the unravelled sleeves is a great title.

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Jul 08, 03:38am

Congrats, James!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 08, 02:03pm

Thanks, Robin, Gessy. "Knitting..." is a story about which I'm particularly proud, one of several I'd written as a collection of related stories I thought I'd put together under the title, "Dime novel dreams of Canada."

Silly me, for thinking short story collections were salable. But I put a lot of work into them, love each one of the stories and hope to find a home for all of them together in print someday.

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 08, 10:57pm

Very well done, James!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 09, 10:38am

Congrats James! A tremendous honor. Looking forward to seeing the antho in print. Peace...

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Jul 09, 11:49am

Congratulations, JLD!

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Jul 09, 07:50pm

I have no doubt that the spirit of Eric Hoffer very much admires your work. And congratulations on the inclusion in Best New Writing 2013--that's very exciting. Great honor.

• Updated_bio.thumb
    James Claffey
    Jul 09, 09:59pm

good work! keep going...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 09, 11:27pm

Thanks all. Jane I've always admired Eric Hoffer's ideas and observations, so that's a plus.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jul 11, 05:39am

Glad to hear the 'longer' short story still has a place in society, being written, being read, being recognized.

Great news, JLD.

• Dscf4986.thumb
    Andrew Stancek
    Jul 12, 05:05pm

Congratulations, JLD. You deserve this and much much more. Let us know when the anthology becomes available. I'll be buying it for sure.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 13, 03:45am

Sally, Andrew... thank you both.

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Jul 14, 06:55am

Well earned and well deserved, James!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.