Forum / THANK YOU!

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Jun 12, 04:00pm

My apologies in advance for this long ramble, but I just wanted to thank you, the Fictionaut community, for your support and encouragement over the years. Though I haven't been posting here over the past year, I have been lurking (in a non-creepy way, I tell myself), enjoying the work of writers I've come to consider friends as well as the work of newer members to the site.

However, lately, I've been forced out of the shadows by the generous reviews / interviews conducted and shared here by Christopher Allen, Robert Vaughan, and Meg Pokrass, as well as by the incredibly kind comments some of my very favorite Fictionauters have posted in response. I am so grateful to be able to celebrate this time with you.

It may surprise you to know that, though I am a bit of a joker on the page, I am far less so in real life and in the process of bringing my collection to market, I have discovered that I am incredibly uncomfortable with readings and promotion and sales. Frankly, I'd much rather dropkick my book onto the field and let it fend for itself, charges of parental neglect be damned!

A few years back I made the difficult decision to take a severe cut in pay in order to find more time for writing, so I know full well the decision-making that goes into ALL purchases, much less the purchase of yet another book (aka a non-edible, non-shelter-providing object.) So thank you if you have weighed your options and found my work to be a suitable entry in your expense ledger. And thank you if you have considered this purchase and decided to take a pass - to have spent time in the mind of any reader is an honor, regardless of end goal or bottom line.

Sincerely,
    Julie

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Jun 12, 04:11pm

"dropkick my book"

You've got a good leg. My copy just flew through the goal-posts all the way from NY to Yadawgsquat County, MS!

(though I do plan on frying it up after reading it, for times *is* tough...)

Julie Innis
    Jun 12, 04:17pm

Thanks Matt! I suspect it would taste okay with enough ketchup.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jun 12, 05:20pm

Have missed your writing presence here, Julie - but I never fail to read your work out there in the world - the real & the cyber.

Your book is a strong read. I'm snapping my fingers.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Jun 12, 08:18pm

I would never have found you Julie, and your writing, had it not been for this wonderful place, Fictionaut. Or Sam, or Matthew, or David, or any of you here.

Julie, I feel so lucky to have met you.

You are in many ways, I feel, a real soulmate.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jun 12, 08:52pm

Julie, your writing is inspiring and your friendship is superb! Thanks for that and so much more. See you so soon!

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jun 13, 12:19am

Julie:

Your book will soon be gracing the library shelves of the college where I work, if it's not there already, and I have read and savored every terrific story in my own copy. You are a fine writer, and I see an excellent future for you. The decision to take that cut in pay is a bonus for the rest of us who so enjoy your talent. Here's to the first of many successes for you.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jun 13, 01:40am

Julie, I've missed seeing you 'round the joint but in the end, totally understand--quietude is what we writers crave and need.

Besides, now I have you all to myself--your book was waiting for me in the mailbox and JUST took it out and held it in my hands. Off to pop some corn (dinner @ 10) and read your words. Peace... and congratulations on achieving what we all dream of.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jun 13, 02:58am

I add my hat to the I love Julie ring!

• Fbphoto1.thumb
    Doug Bond
    Jun 13, 06:44am

RE (your comment): ALL purchases, much less the purchase of yet another book (aka a non-edible, non-shelter-providing object.) So thank you if you have weighed your options and found my work to be a suitable entry in your expense ledger.

Jesus! Julie, I'm so sorry, i guess i'm impressionable, but, i don't know, maybe it was the title...i really thought it WAS food...well, nothing we can do now, it's in digestion mode at this point and have to say, from this juncture, my take is there's nourishment a'plenty contained within, and worth every penny!

Julie Innis
    Jun 13, 05:01pm

Thanks all, you've lifted my spirits during what's been a tough few days! Very grateful to have made such wonderful friends here.

And Bondo, ha! thanks for always keeping me on my toes!

• Mrsoftee1.thumb
    Jim V
    Jun 14, 12:31am

I wish more writers were like you, Julie. Less about self-promotion, and more about writing kick-ass poems and stories.

For what it's worth, I recommend Julie's book with my highest recommendation.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jun 14, 02:04am

My copy is winging its way to the southern hemisphere. In keeping with the above advice, when finished reading, I will eat the yummy bits and the rest will be used to provide shelter for directionally challenged penguins, saving the government and taxpayer thousands.

So thank you, Julie! All will be put to good use.

Looking forward to reading this one!

• Mrsoftee1.thumb
    Jim V
    Jun 15, 04:07am

Just want to add, Julie, that I feel your pain. I also suffered financially for writing, but I don't believe good writing can often be achieved in the few years between retirement and death. It's a craft that simply takes too long to learn. Those who wait too long rarely end up writing much or well.

• Mrsoftee1.thumb
    Jim V
    Jun 17, 06:21am

Like Joanie, Julie, I put in a book request at my library. Hopefully they'll buy a bunch of copies.

Julie Innis
    Jun 18, 03:03pm

Thank you, Sally - I am a big fan of penguins, so I do believe this counts as a win-win for me! And thank you as well, Jim. Good to know I am not alone in my penny-pinching.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 20, 01:41pm

Having read halfway through THREE SQUARES WITH OCCASIONAL TORTURE, I can truly say the pleasure was all mine. Julie's style and control are formidable, along with a deadly wit that skewers every looming pretension, and characters whose stubborn individuality both contributes to and defends against the pain and loneliness at the core.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jun 20, 02:05pm

Loving your book, Julie. After every story I want to ask you: what inspired this? What a mind you have! (envy, envy) Peace...

• Mrsoftee1.thumb
    Jim V
    Jun 20, 05:25pm

Penny pinching?

Julie Innis
    Jun 20, 08:31pm

Sorry Jim - didn't mean to suggest you're pinching pennies, but that you made the decision to put writing first. I'm pinching pennies, but I did splurge today on popsicles.

Julie Innis
    Jun 20, 08:31pm

David and Linda - thank you both!

Julie Innis
    Jun 20, 10:38pm

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Jun 21, 12:25am

I will be reading it on the plane soon!

• Photo_on_2012-12-13_at_23.39__4.thumb
    David James
    Jun 21, 01:07am

Hey Lady. As a fellow who can't write worth a goddamn but who reads and relishes most of what lands here, You truly enrich my experience when I read you work. Your sense of humor is fresh, self-deprecating and has me smiling as I read it. I will have your book by week's end.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Jun 21, 02:13am

Julie rocks words until they are smooth and ready to carry home like moonstones

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 21, 04:01pm

I've read Julie's book and would recommend it to anyone with a desire to read something new, intelligent and human. I would put her stories in a league with the likes of William Saroyan. If you haven't read Saroyan or Julie Innis' new book... shame on you.

Julie Innis
    Jun 21, 07:25pm

David, Meg - moonstones and pop rocks all around!

and JLD, this fan of Saroyan considers herself not worthy of such praise, but is so grateful for your vote of confidence in her work. Thank you.

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Jun 23, 06:13pm

You know my thoughts on this, Julie. Keep putting one word in front of another until you have another fine work to give the world. Everything else is details. Work. Write hard. Please, for us all.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.