Forum / Literary activism

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 30, 04:56pm

The phrase came up in another thread, in the context of reaction to something one writer did for another, to order that writer's book for the library.

A simple thing, but one that requires action.

It's one thing to wish someone well, quite another to actually DO something to ensure the benefit.

And this is the point.

Literary activism.

The membership at Fictionaut includes many people who DO things, stir things, move things in ways that express the concept that literature is a cause, one that needs constant, deliberate care and attention. The way they do so is manifold and, often, quite subtle. These people are my heroes, really, and I believe they deserve some recognition.

This is a good place to do it. It needs to be your job, our job, everyone's job.

Maybe you could take the time, make the effort, give it some thought ... mention someon'es name in this thread, someone who has helped you as a writer and call them out, thank them publicly.

They are editors who see your work and publish it. They are people who recognize you in the crowd and interview you in the blogs here and elsewhere. They are the people who 'fave' your work here and comment on it in such a way that it makes your day.

Broader context ... They are the people who devote their time to develop and edit and publish literary journals, many of whom are not paid for their work. They are people who teach, who critique, who bolster the marrow of what we call literature.

They are the people who network, people who get things done. They are literary activists and here is your chance to thank them.

Better yet ... after you've taken the time to publicly thank them ... join them, help them, even become a literary activist yourself.

If you're a writer, it can only help.

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Aug 30, 07:25pm

Amy Burns and Nicola Taylor - Unbound Press and Spilling Ink Review. They have been unfailingly kind, supportive and helpful to a novice writer [me], and taught me a lot about professionalism and integrity by their example.

Leading to: WF Lantry, who I met online through our mutual friend, Amy Burns. Our work has appeared together, I'm honoured to say, and through reading his work, talking to him, seeing the volume and professionalism of his work, and his gentlemanly ways online, I have learned a great deal, and met many other writers I admire online.

Leading to: Len Kuntz - who I would say pretty much the same about as Bill [above], and who also introduced me to Carnage Conservatory and the lovely Emily Smith-Miller through his diverse and prolific work. Inspirational.

And: Robert Vaughan, who I met through the above and has been unfailingly supportive and friendly, and invited me to join fictionaut.

And so to: Matt Potter, who has been so supportive and patient with me and my work on Pure Slush, and has educated me and stretched my thinking in so many ways.

And of course: Michelle Elvy and Sam Rasnake who encouraged me with my more experimental efforts.

I'd also like to include a special thank you to Alec Beattie of Duality books for publishing my work and inviting me to perform at the Edinburgh Festival [very exciting and brilliant fun!] and also Jeremy Scott, author of 'Fast and Louche', whose books serve as an inspiration and benchmark to me, and who has been unfailingly supportive through some difficult times.

There are dozens of folk I've missed out, and I owe them all a debt of gratitude. Too many to list here, and I'm sorry about that. Fictionaut has been a very good place to me, for reading, writing, making friends, and challenging what I thought I knew about words and how to arrange them.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Aug 30, 07:33pm

Almost two years ago, I noticed a quirky writer popping up on some of my friends' Facebook pages. She was irreverent and funny, and I was charmed. I sent her a friend request and she graciously accepted.

Shortly thereafter, she began a goofy group for those of us stuck at home while the writers with either deeper pockets or AWP connections through their writing programs at colleges and universities went to the holy of holies--The annual AWP conference.

This writer called our motley crew The Barbaric YAWP. I spent a long weekend writing and responding to crazy prompts based on photos and words she offered everyone that were also connected to prizes for the winners. I was energized, enthralled, and having a damn good time at home in my jammies writing my little fingertips off. Until that weekend, I had written ONE (pretty bad) piece of fiction in my life. I was a poet, for heaven's sake, not a fiction writer.

Yesterday, I had two stories accepted for publication, a creative nonfiction piece is at Gloom Cupboard as I write this, and I can't even remember how many flash pieces I have floating around on the Internet at this point. These moments would have been improbable for a writer like me, fixed on poetry and poetry alone, had I not met that zany person through Facebook and had she not been the generous soul she is. She also sent me an invitation to Fictionaut, where I have connected with some of the most creative and interesting people I have ever known.

Thanks Meg Pokrass--You're a mensch.

PS--One of the stories accepted yesterday was based on a word prompt you offered anyone who was interested a few weeks ago.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Aug 30, 09:26pm

Joani - i had no idea how much that yAWP meant to you, though you did tell me it helped. Meeting you through it was a delight. I was of course, just having fun with nothing to have fun about - unable to afford to travel to AWP again. There aren't a lot of funny, creative moments in my real life these days... so I make them up. The writing and playing compensate for a lot of stuff in my daily world that are hard. And around AWP time, and the holidays, I get fired up to go all-out, collaborative stuff especially when most hurting.

RE: the yAWP and prompts, etc, well you joined in and made it funner. Clearly you just wanted a nudge or a spark. You did it all.

What a lovely thing you just wrote, I wish I could hug you. From this, seeing this today, I'm more glad than ever to be a creative kook and will continue to be one until the nice men with white coats drag me away. xo-meg

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Aug 31, 01:43am

There are so many incredible people here; this is my writing home. So thank you everyone for making it so comfortable here, and honest.

I have to thank Michael Solender for inviting me here, and for being a friend and advocate for the 3 (!) years we've known each other in cyberspace.

Many of my earliest fiction publications came from writers who wear editors' hats -- Susan Tepper, Dorothee Lang, Robert Vaughan, Matt Potter, Sam Rasnake, Michelle Elvy, Walter Bjorkman, John Chapin Carpenter, Karen Eileen Sikola, Ramon Collins, Meg Tuite -- who have either solicited or otherwise encouraged me to submit to their journals. As an editor myself, I appreciate other editors' confidence in my work.

Of course Jurgen and Carson (YAY!!!!!!) for making this place possible -- such vision in creating fictionaut!

Most of all, though, I appreciate the folks who wear their passion on their sleeve, who walk their talk, who give a damn. These folks make me care about this community, about writing, about the future of our craft. Everyone here does to some extent, but James Lloyd Davis, Meg Pokrass, and Marcus Speh each put their own inimitable spin on literary activism. Thanks for being my inspiration. Peace...

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Aug 31, 03:49am

"The brilliant and talented James Lloyd Davis" -yes, he insists I refer to him in this way, even just around the house - encouraged me to take a look at FN when I hadn't written or submitted anything since the '80's. Too busy raising two children, pretty much on my own and building a career that required twelve to fourteen hour days.

With much trepidation, I joined and submitted. My initial offerings were met with a huge tsunami of support and overwhelming generosity from people I now consider my "virtual" friends and family.

JLD, first and foremost, Kathy Fish, Robert Vaughan, Bill Yarrow, David Ackley, Sam "the peach" Rasnake, Jack Swenson, Lynn Beighley, Susan Tepper, Bill Lantry, Joani, Carol, Misti, Foster, Linda, Beate, Andrew, the two Marvelous Megs, Marcus, Jane Hammons and dear Gill, just to name a very few.

Some of you have moved me to tears with your kindness, but most of all I am writing and submitting again full time. And getting published! Thanks to all I have mentioned and to those I have not. I have tried to make you all know how important your support is to me and will continue to be. . .

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Aug 31, 12:40pm

a remarkable sentiment, james, and you are firmly on my list, too! over the past 2 1/2 years, i've benefitted from the comments and encouragement of so many people—

these are on my mind—: james lloyd davis (yay!), jurgen fauth, sam rasnake, susan gibb, linda simoni-wastila, bill yarrow, matt dennison, jack swenson, gary percesepe, meg tuite, christopher allen, frank hinton (who invited me in the first place, thank you!), sheldon lee-compton, katrina gray, robert vaughan, kathy fish, michael solender, andrew bowen, julie innis, mark reep, danny goodman, jane hammons, ann bogle, david ackley, susan tepper, marcelle heath, michelle elvy, shelagh power-chopra, kim hutchinson, frank rasky, darryl price, beate sigriddaughter, james robison, carol novack and, of course...<a href="http://fictionaut.com/users/finnegan-flawnt">finnegan flawnt</a>.

i'm impressed by that list myself. 35 folks here, wow. largest group of writers (or creative people) i have ever known anywhere (and i've been places). i'm immensely grateful not just to them but to everyone who makes this place into a thriving, happening locus vivendi et scribendi. personally, it's often given me the energy to go on and inspiration to do what i like to do.

lately, i've been thinking a little about the benefits but also the limitations of a tightly knit community. i've even written <a href="http://blog.marcusspeh.com/?p=4964">my last blog post</a> about the ups and the downs of numbers and small communities of writers.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Aug 31, 04:20pm

It's been an honor to publish some very fine work from the f'naut writers community. I like that this is a place of community, in all that word implies. The road of art has never been an easy one to travel. We need our writer friends, and we need them to stay close.

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Aug 31, 08:18pm

Marcus - I've just read your blog, and it was most enlightening. I've just posted it to the writers' group I attend in Warrington.

On a side note, what do you all think an emerging writer should refer to themselves as here? 'Emerging writer' seems a bit too long for casual mentioning... do you have any ideas? Just to clarify, writing is IT for me. And I'm sure an awful lot of you, if not all of you, feel the same.

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Aug 31, 08:42pm

When I joined F'naut it was a lot of people I already knew from Zoetrope. Most of those people have since moved on and I was away for awhile and came back to mostly people I didn't know at all, but so quickly I was welcomed into the fold and have met the most talented and generous writers here. I'm very grateful for Fictionaut!

And, wow, Marcus, I didn't know you'd been ill until I read your blog post. Hope you're on the mend now.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 01, 01:16pm

I have a lot of people to thank and call out, but I can wait. Love where this is going.

• Matt004sm.thumb
    Matt Potter
    Sep 01, 01:22pm

Thank you Gill - for your own patience with my editing edicts, addiction to plain but thoughtful language, cinematic images and insistence on actions (and usually thoughts) being chronological when the story is told chronologically. I rarely if ever say this on-line but 'Snow go' is yes, a definite favourite.

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Sep 02, 02:58pm

Matthew Hamilton invited me to join Fictionaut. Through that introduction, I met ALL of you. I cannot single individuals out, but I thank ALL of you for your unstinting generosity and good will. What a blessing to be in your company.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Sep 02, 03:01pm

Back at ya, Bill. Peace...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 03, 02:03am

Things change, some slowly, some quickly. This is a fine ‘place’ to be … as fine as virtual places get.

Writing is a solitary art, finally, so community can be a difficult concept for writers. I’ve seen several iterations of internet ‘communities’ for writers over the years, beginning with ‘bulletin boards’(remember those?) and I've learned, appreciated the fact that writers' web sites can be an enormous help and a fine comfort, especially to those who, like me, live beyond the reach of readings and the company of other writers.

I did want to thank a few people in particular, but I realize now that by naming people, the omission of some might appear to be a slight to them, and there are too many for me to remember you all, so let me do this:

To everyone at Fictionaut who has supported me with your generous comments, to those of you who have given me honest feedback and valuable critique, to those of you here who have published my work, and to those of you who have given me so many hours of reading with your wonderful stories, poems, essays, and such … thank you.

It’s not much ... I know that ... and it’s not specific, but, trust me, it’s sincere.

You know who you are. Thank you.

It's been fun.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Sep 03, 11:26am

James, you are indeed one of those that I'd name as a rock in this riverbed of flowing support. Fictionaut and its members have opened up and validated for me the importance of not only writing but of doing what you love. We don't ask for much as writers, only readers. The comments are our applause. There are too many here that I'm so grateful for, so beholding to, that I leave it open as each and every one who has read any of my work here is appreciated. Each writer I've been privileged to read here is as much appreciated for their influence and more, pure enjoyment.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Sep 03, 12:55pm

This warms my heart. Thank you, everyone, for making Fictionaut such an amazing community - we couldn't have hoped for a better crowd of people when we came up with the idea for this place.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Sep 03, 03:42pm

Just off the top of my head--and in no particular order--Jürgen Fauth,Marcelle Heath,Marcus Speh, Bill Yarrow,Robert Vaughan,Mark Reep,JP Reese, J.Mykell Collinz,Beate Sigriddaughter,Michelle Elvy,Kari Nguyen,Walter Bjorkman,Linda Simoni-Wastila,James Lloyd Davis,Julie Innes,Susan Tepper,Meg Pokrass,Ann Bogle,Sam Rasnake,Kim Hutchinson,Sheldon Lee Compton, James Robison,Heather Fowler,Gary Percesepe, Roberto C. Garcia,Katrina Gray, Kathy Fish, Bob Eckstein, ans Gill Hoffs. These people have supported me, offered me beautifully constructive criticism, engaged me in interesting literary debate, and inspired me countless times to continue to be creative, to use my imagination, and to believe in myself as an artist. How can I ever thank you enough? Fictionaut feels like a home for this poet and I'm so grateful for the time I get to spend here.It's an honor in every way.

• Frank_rasky.thumb
    Frank Vander Rasky
    Sep 05, 09:43pm

http://TourdeFrank.com on literary activism and Twitter:

It only takes 140 characters, including spaces, to tell the world, and your network of literary connections, about the Fictionauts you truly admire.

Tapping into the power of free social media advertorials will help get your favourite flash fiction writers and poets more readers.

• Richter.thumb
    M.H.
    Sep 05, 10:07pm

I have too many people to thank here at Fictionaut but here's a short list of people who have been wonderful supporters:

Jurgen Fauth
    Meg Pokrass
    Susan Tepper
    Jame Hammons
    Marcus Speh
    Darryl Price
    Erin Fitzgerald
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sam Rasnake
    Kathy Fish
    Laura Ellen Scott
    Gary Percesepe

And the list goes on....
    Thank you to everyone & lots of love!

• Frank_rasky.thumb
    Frank Vander Rasky
    Sep 06, 01:53am

What a thread! Nothing but love, love, love.

There are many names to name, but if I had to limit my roll call to just three they would be, in alphabetical order: Kathy Fish, Meg Sefton, and Marcus Speh.

I also must mention J. Mykell Collinz because he’s such a gentleman, a helluva nice guy.

If this is not only a love-in, but also an invite to post realistic ideas on how to be a doer in the cause of literary activism, your modus operandi related to social media and cross-promotion of your most beloved Fnauts would be welcome. Clothing optional, bring your own love beads.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Sep 06, 03:33pm

Big thanks to everyone at FN.

This site - the works here - and especially the writers ... with their own works and comments on a full range of writing styles and forms from so many gifted authors ... the many varied groups at work here as well ... and comments on my own works, both finished and in draft stages ... have helped make me a better writer.

So thanks.

• Jalousie.thumb
    stephen hastings-king
    Sep 06, 11:51pm

Michelle Elvy invited me. it was a tremendous favor, as it turned out.

I've been thinking for a while about how to respond to this thread, debating whether or not to make a list of folk who have been particularly helpful be it by their work, the information they've provided or by reading and reacting to my peculiar little stories. Every version left someone off. I would add them only to find it had happened again. Eventually, I stopped.

I've learned a lot thanks to all you folks, really. It's been, and remains, a tremendous pleasure.

And there's a really interesting cross-section of folk here. When I started posting here, I was still working my way through the process of recovering from being an academic and moving away from sound as my primary focus for a while. I know experimental music as field pretty well. But making texts was just something I did. Being able to interact with this community has also had a great impact in helping me figure out what this world looks...it's been a most excellent education.

So thanks very much.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Sep 08, 05:24pm

In truth you could thank everyone on Fictionaut whether or not they've connected with you on some literary level. This place is an explosion of talent. I could have made my list twice as long. That's how very cool of a place we dwell together in this is. I'll just add one more if you'll indulge me..Myra King. I love her work and relish and acknowledge her support. She reads and feels and comments in a way that makes you glad to try harder and harder to come up with something unique and beautiful just for her.Thanks Myra!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.