Forum / Why Are You Here?

• Me2.thumb
    Lynn Beighley
    Jul 20, 01:05pm

What purpose does Fictionaut serve for you?

For me, it's the pleasure of having people read, and hopefully enjoy, my work. Helps me figure out what people respond to.

I also hope to continue to meet fellow writers.

How about you?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 20, 03:06pm

Identity.

Started here ... wanting to validate my personal identification as a writer by 'joining' by 'virtually socializing' by ... at least that's how it started out ... by attempting to locate and identify with a peerage. I'd belonged to other, similar sites, but they felt like 'clubs' for wannabes.

At some point, I began to recognize that most of the people here were both serious and, quite frankly, good writers. The quality of work on this site has been, for the most part, superior. At times, you can spot works of true genius here.

When I began to see how 'serious' the people were on this site, I began to use it as a laboratory, a place to experiment with new styles and forms ... new to me, at least. The result has been to improve my writing exponentially by determining relative value from the interest and comment the work generates.

As for the larger question iplied by ... "Why are you here?" I will have to get back to you on that. Theology scares the heck out of me and philosophy? I leave that to philosophers and seedy private detectives.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 20, 03:06pm

... implied ...

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 20, 03:08pm

Same, Lynn. Exactly the same. The reading and writing in a (mostly) supportive community of serious minded writers.
    This site works as a barometer for what people are responding to in today's writing market.
    Good posting Lynn and thank you for putting it here.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 20, 04:35pm

Great question. Being here has made me write more, question more and get better at both. It has also given me an invaluable opportunity to offer some limited help and encouragement to those who seem to be struggling, along with sincere praise for those who have reached the pinnacle.

Jürgen and Carson may have started this site, but we are the users and life's blood that keep FN's heart pumping.

When I think about all the new "virtual" friends I have made here, and the fact that I may never know them except on these pages. . . I smile. What a brave, new world this is.

• Jalousie.thumb
    stephen hastings-king
    Jul 20, 06:16pm

I've learned (and still am learning) a tremendous amount being part of this community: reading stuff that's new, so getting a sense of what is happening in close to real time and, by extension,getting a sense of what this particular cross-section of folk who write are doing, what they're working with and on.

It's also been a really useful laboratory for me as I try to figure out how to make pieces that remain formally experimental but resonate with people who aren't in my skull.

And I've gotten to know, variously, some lovely and highly skilled craftspeople (Aside: I like the Bauhaus notion of art, which is it's mostly craft that is open to going beyond itself, that works toward that, but which is in everyday practice a craft)

And it's fun.

That's more or less why I'm here.

I wish I had more time, though.

• 100722-183348.thumb
    Neil Serven
    Jul 20, 07:42pm

My initial reason for trying out Fictionaut was simply to have a place to serve as a destination for stuff I had written, stuff that I hadn’t planned on submitting for whatever reason. I didn’t just want to park my writing on a blog that nobody would read. I wanted a sense of finality that “writing for the drawer” wasn’t giving me.

Getting feedback on my work, and meeting new writers and seeing what they were doing, maybe stealing some advice along the way for my own work--all of these are welcome bonuses that have come with my decision to contribute here.

For a while I turned over the idea of pursuing an MFA. But having a job and a mortgage sorta makes that decision difficult. Here I get to hang with writers trying to do the same thing I am without having to sell an organ to pay for tuition.

• Working.thumb
    DeMisty Bellinger
    Jul 20, 08:14pm

I wanted to find a writing group and I still do. Have yet to find something quite yet here on Fictionaut, but still looking (but not hard; finishing up my comps, then dissertation). I found that I still want people to rip apart my work, as in a work shop, before sending it out.

I'm working on a novel now and would really like the feedback as I revise here and there.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jul 20, 11:25pm

When Meg first invited me, I joined but was extremely leery about posting non-published work, as I had just recently begun writing again after a hiatus of six years, and I had few to no publications to post. After I finally began sending work out for publication about six months after joining, I accumulated enough published work to post here in safety.

I like the affirmation I receive from the writers here, but more important is the contact with other writers Fictionaut affords me. I live in Dallas, which is, with the exception of a place called The Writer's Garret(far from where I live), a writers' wasteland. The affirmation and camaraderie I have found here is priceless and could not be repeated in real life here on the flat Texas prairie.

I post sporadically, and praise for my work is not why I keep coming back, although it is gratifying. I come back for the inspiration, the conversation, the friendships I have made with people whose work I deeply respect and admire. Some of those excellent writers have left this building, but I keep in touch via e-mail, and it's thanks to Fictionaut I met them at all.

I used to belong to a writer's group a decade ago at AOL, and it's where I lost my innocence--the critiques were brutal, and the atmosphere was sometimes even toxic. It was, however, a great place for an up and coming writer to hone his or her craft and to develop an extremely thick skin, or perish. I don't see Fictionaut as a place for the less assured writer to hone his or her skills, but rather as a place for those who've come into their own to congregate and share their hard-earned wisdom.

Those at Fictionaut manage to keep to the high road (most of the time), and it's a perfect place for those of us who have found our voices but would still like to connect with others of like persuasion. It is an imperfect place, but compared to other writers' sites I have experienced, it works well and is supportive in its ideology and purpose.

The private groups also offer an opportunity for those writers who still enjoy the give and take of a workshop atmosphere to create one. I can't see any down side, except for the occasional disagreements, and aren't all writers fairly sensitive individuals? I am thankful for the opportunity to interact with so many talented people.

Ain't technology grand?

• 408a4808.thumb
    Kait Mauro
    Jul 21, 03:38am

I yearn for the community and the feedback.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 21, 12:17pm

I have no idea - but then I never do. No idea but in things - to quote the physician.

• Une_ville_vide_200.thumb
    Berit Ellingsen
    Jul 27, 11:04pm

I'm here to read stories and connect with other writers.

I feel fairly spoiled by Fictionaut and the level of quality of the writing here, which is high.

It's been a very learning experience, and very inspiring to see the work of more experienced writers, and being able to connect with them directly. Am enjoying it a lot!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.