Forum / taking the plunge...

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 11, 08:08pm

As a scientist and a relatively new writer (5 years) with absolutely no humanities background save the required freshman English course (in 1981, ahem) and a poetry elective (1983), I decided to look into MA/MFA programs that would allow me to study in a part-time capacity. I've started to put in my apps, a strenuous process, and two weeks from getting my first complete application in, I got the word: I am in!

Yay! I think! It is a local part-time program, MA rather than MFA, and the idea of sitting on the other side of the desk is exhilarating and nauseating all at once.

So, that is my news. Call me Insane. Peace...

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 11, 08:44pm

My best to you, Linda, on your MA adventure. Congratulations.

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Jul 11, 08:49pm

Oh man, good for you, Linda! Congratulations!

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jul 11, 08:54pm

Fantastic! They are the lucky ones!

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Jul 11, 09:12pm

Congrats! You'll do great.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jul 11, 09:13pm

I am not the least bit surprised. Your talent os boundless and they are fortunate to have you. I wish you the best always. So happy we cross so many paths already.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Jul 11, 09:21pm

congratulations, linda, i'm excited for you! great step!

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jul 11, 09:34pm

Good news, Linda, best of luck with your endeavor! Keep us posted.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 11, 10:16pm

Linda,you are deserving of every good thing that comes your way. Talented and a huge, loving heart! Yay! Yes.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jul 11, 11:09pm

Jealous. I would give my right, well, whatever, to be on the other side of the desk again. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Also, with the way the idea of an MFA is being kicked around these days (ouch!), you are better off earning an MA and THEN a PhD. Go for it!

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 11, 11:46pm

Linda you're a great writer, wishing you so much fun on this new path!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 12, 12:17am

Thank you all! I am excited about the prospect of being a student again, of delving deep with folks who know their stuff. Two more programs to hear from, then I will make my decision (or have it made for me).

JP, I have spent a lot of time agonizing over MA vs. MFA, and to be frank, I am still not sure which is best (the other two programs I've apped to are low-res MFAs). For me, it comes down to quality of the faculty and convenience: are the programs local and/or are the residencies scheduled when I can actually go?

The MA is a good pathway to the PhD. But I am trying to flee the ivory tower, not re-enter it ;^) I just want to wallow in reading and writing and NO 'rithmetic. Peace...

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jul 12, 12:20am

Linda: Warren Wilson has an excellent faculty and is one of the best low residency MFA programs in the country.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 12, 12:46am

Thanks JP! I also am submitting applications to low-rez programs in 2 other states -- Massachusetts and NC. Part of the convenience factor (my roots straddle both states and I have family and friends there). I'm mulling WW, it does have a great curriculum and faculty. The deadlines are all 9/1, so I've been writing essays. Not so much fun as putting the writing samples together. Peace...

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Jul 12, 01:00am

Great news! Congratulations!

• Dscf4986.thumb
    Andrew Stancek
    Jul 12, 01:16am

Linda, OMG.

congratulations, of course, thrilling.

I have been wondering about the same thing, and slightly investigated low-res ones, but I am not quite there yet. (I finished my English major BA and BEd in 1981.) I cannot quite leave my job yet for financial reasons although I would like to. What I think I would really like to do is an Iowa MFA but that will probably never happen. If anything at all, then a low-res. I am so thrilled for you.

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Jul 12, 10:40am

Congratulations, Linda!

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jul 12, 01:39pm

This is great news! Congratulations Linda. I am psyched for you and you will do great!

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 12, 04:50pm

Congratulations! Any chance of you doing a blog about it? Interested in seeing what you make of it, and how/if you feel your writing changes. What wonderful news :)

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Jul 13, 06:50pm

That's terrific! Congratulations!

• Michaeljsolender-headshot1.thumb
    Michael J. Solender
    Jul 13, 07:07pm

Mazel Tov Linda - they love you, they really do!!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 14, 12:26am

Linda, whatever you decide, you'll ace the course and burn the benchmarks. Enjoy it.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 14, 01:08am

Thanks all! I'm just hoping to keep up with the coursework without 1) getting fired, 2) losing too much sleep, and 3) having my husband and kids forget who I am. Most of all, I just hope to learn and have some fun. Peace...

• You must log in to reply to this thread.