Forum / Honorable Mention

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Jun 16, 12:04am

My story "The Birds of North Carolina" was just given an Honorable Mention by Glimmer Train. Please, everyone gather around me and assure me that this is a wonderful thing, that winning isn't everything, that being "mentioned" is giggly fun.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jun 16, 12:24am

In Glimmer Train? Yes, an honorable mention is praise indeed. Good for you.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jun 16, 12:48am

Oh, that is fabulous! They get a zillion entries per issue, you should be very proud! Congrats, Joani, it is an honor!

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 16, 01:16am

A fine thing, indeed, Christopher. Be proud.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jun 16, 01:37am

Way to go, Christopher, although I am not surprised in the least. In fact, I think you should have WON! No questions asked.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 16, 02:23am

An honorable mention from Glimmer Train is a little like a nomination for an Oscar. You don't get the statue, but hey you get to dress up and ... there's always next year.

It's a good thing.

(Also, you didn't have to send them one of those photos from your childhood like they ask the winners to send for when they publish a story ... like, you know, maybe one with the Cub Scout uniform?)

• Dscf4986.thumb
    Andrew Stancek
    Jun 16, 02:35am

I just checked my submission and once again, for the umpteenth time from Glimmer Train, I got a "We will not be publishing your entry but thank you for letting us read it." Congratulations, Christopher, on your Honorable Mention.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 16, 02:52am

Yeah, I checked mine, too. It was marked "Complete," which is probably better than an Incomplete. Got a couple of those in college. Still, no honorable mention for me. Christopher, you the man.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jun 16, 03:26am

Christopher, I am so incredibly proud for you!I think an honorable mention in Glimmer Train is a rare honor. And it means you were this close // to being published. . .I can't bare to look at my submissions. I just wish they'd decline what I sent them and put me out of my misery. Big hug and huge congrats!

Christopher Allen
    Jun 16, 04:42am

Thank you, everyone! This does make me feel better.

"Honorable Mention" at Glimmer Train means the top 5%. It's not the top 25 list, though, which I was really hoping for this time.

And I already had the picture ready, James. I was a really cute baby. :(

• Swan.thumb
    Roberta
    Jun 16, 12:54pm

Congratulations, that's fab!

And winning isn't everything, obviously, or always the point of things. Isn't that the sort of thing one's parents say? And obviously parents never lie...

• 100722-183348.thumb
    Neil Serven
    Jun 16, 01:24pm

What Susan and James said. To have your work at least get noticed among all the entries they receive is huge.

Congrats, Christopher!

• Kc%202.thumb
    Kathy Conde
    Jun 16, 01:29pm

Congratulations, Christopher. That's great. I think they get at least a thousand entries per contest.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jun 16, 03:03pm

Congratulations! This is a wonderful thing to have happened!!!!

Christopher Allen
    Jun 16, 03:23pm

Thank you, sweet people. I suppose, if I do the math right, there were around 1500 submissions to this contest. There were around 50 Honorable Mentions and then the top 25. That means 75-80 stories were in the top 5% (the percentage of stories that receive Honorable Mention or higher). Something like 1500 stories?

Wow, I wonder how many readers they have.

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Jun 16, 03:52pm

Great news Christopher. Congratulations.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Jun 16, 06:26pm

Oh good God yes, that's a wonderful thing! Congratulations!

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jun 17, 04:06am

Christopher, don't bother trying to figure it out. I would lay down on Rt. 59 and let concrete trucks drive back and forth over me for days to get an honorable mention. Mar

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Jun 17, 06:05am

Something to be very proud of. Congratulations!

Christopher Allen
    Jun 17, 06:49am

Thank you, everyone. Your encouragement means a lot to me.

MaryAnne! What's it worth if you don't live to gloat about it?

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jun 17, 04:22pm

Chris, there is that. . .

Susan Tepper
    Jun 18, 12:59am

Chris, I saw this on facebook and got so confused... because I am at the moment the product of confusion... anyway, CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS!!! (I first Congratulated Joani), but she was Congratulating YOU! Yikes! I must need some shut-eye!
    When I saw your title on fb, I thought: how strange they both have the same title,and both got an honorable mention!!!!!!!!!!!
    Then I thought it was a "theme" deal, you know, write about The Birds of North Carolina.
    Mama mia. I'm totally flipping..
    It was bound to happen...
    Ha ha! Love you Chris!

Christopher Allen
    Jun 18, 07:39am

Susan, that's so funny. Thank you! Who's Joani?

Susan Tepper
    Jun 18, 03:29pm

Joani Reese aka JP Reese.
    Duh to me.

Christopher Allen
    Jun 18, 03:48pm

Oh, hahahaha. JP up there at the top of the page. Okeedoke. Sorry, JP (Joani). :)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.