Forum / Submitting work that appears at Fictionaut

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Apr 20, 07:20pm

How do I find our list of journals (publishers) that consider stories and poems that appear at Fictionaut?

Do:

elimae?
    Caketrain?
    Smokelong?

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Apr 20, 11:17pm

http://www.fictionaut.com/forums/general/threads/370

The list is here, though it is at least four months old and the each Publication's submission rules may have changed with over time.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Apr 20, 11:40pm

HM's right, Ann. It's kind of a moving target and not very complete, I fear.
    I'd add "This," to the list. Elimae, yes. Don't know about Caketrain And Smokelong.
    It would be helpful if writers and editors could add names of publications that have been receptive to works on Fictionaut.

• Mewells.thumb
    Mike Lynch
    Apr 20, 11:49pm

fyi: zouch is another zine that's cool w/ stuff submitted in fictionaut (or anyplace else for that matter).

http://zouchmagazine.com/submit/

Ann Bogle
    Apr 21, 12:21am

Thanks for the updates.

Ann Bogle
    Apr 21, 01:13am

Caketrain does consider work posted at Fictionaut. Confirmed 4/20/11.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Apr 21, 02:11pm

Thanks, Ann and the others of you who've added names to the list. When I get a minute I'll collate it, so all the names will be in one place on a new thread. This could be a feature that would be usefully added to Fictionaut's already sumptious table of goodies. Hint, hint, Jurgen.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Apr 23, 07:24am

Ann,

I have no idea about the ones you mention. As for others, I guess naming them feels indiscreet. But why even mention it? Just make them private before submitting. ;)

Really, it's hard to think of putting something up here as 'publication.' I think of it more as passing a story around to a few friends before I send it out. Ten or twenty people look at it, maybe a few give a thumbs up, a couple might make comments. No big deal. Life is good!

Thanks,

Bill

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Apr 23, 06:24pm

Bill,
    I'm not sure why you'd regard naming the magazines as an indiscretion. We weren't really trying to hide anything.In the case of the magazines, editors were openly asked and most replied with a yes or no on the earlier threads.

At the same time, the posting of work on Fictionaut has an ambiguous status, just because eidtors are not agreed as to whether they consider it publication. Listing those who don't was simply a convenience for Fictionaut writers.

david

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Apr 23, 06:44pm

decomP also considers stories that are published here--the editor asks that you take the story down (or just make it private) during the time that it is featured online in the journal.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Apr 23, 10:30pm

David,

Thanks for your note. It feels like a delicate matter to me, still a little unsettled. Let me tell you why?

A few months ago, I had a fairly public disagreement with an editor about what should be considered previous publication in an electronic age. I'm not sure the question has yet been settled to everyone's satisfaction. That particular editor took what I considered a 'hard' position, arguing even that if a poet read a new poem as part of a public reading, and a video of the entire hour long reading went up on youtube, then the poem should be considered published, and should be disqualified for consideration in that editor's journal.

I argued that such a position would discourage experimentation, and deprive the poet, the immediate audience, and the electronic audience of a full and rich experience. It would also make non-established poets reluctant to share their work, slow their progress, and diminish the field in general, thus accidentally defeating the editor's stated, and honestly held, goals.

We were unable to come to agreement on this point, which is one reason I believe in discretion. Or at least, I consider it advisable in the short term, until these things are sorted out to everyone's satisfaction. I think the work you're doing in creating these lists serves the larger cause, and I celebrate it. I just think we've still got a ways to go...

Thanks,

Bill

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Apr 23, 11:56pm

I wouldn't dispute any editor's right to consider whatever she wants as prior publication for her own magazine. I do think it should be made clear and specific in the submission guidelines, particularly with regard to work previously shown on a blog, such as this one. One of the purposes of making this list was to get magazines on record in that regard, so we'd not have to waste time submitting to magazines that weren't interested a priori. Since the first list was assembled, six months or so ago, the number of magazines open to works shown here has increased steadily. In time I hope it will become the norm, and then there'll be no longer a need for lists.

• 0388e1260hbw.thumb
    Mark Reep
    Apr 25, 06:42pm

Good points David, thanks. Just updated Ramshackle Review's subs page to make it clear there that RR welcomes work posted on Fictionaut.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.