Forum / A general good wish to all, easy to say, I know, but sincere.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jan 01, 11:28am

Celebrations are over ... in quiet Ohio anyway. Since rain has finished off the last of the remaining snow, I'm off to the river for a long walk on a lovely trail.

The Cuyahoga is not the Mississipi, and the little lake shores that dot its course through the woods are not the Atlantic, but there is peace and silent beauty everywhere around.

I wish some of that peace and beauty on every one of you. I thank you for the encouragement and the good writing I've found here. And I continue to wish everyone success and fulfillment in 2011.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Jan 01, 12:27pm

thank you james, both for your many generous comments, your sincere and amazing stories and for the lovely image on this first day of the new year. joining james' wishes, I greet you from berlin!

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jan 01, 03:02pm

Sitting in a Dallas kitchen wishing there were a lovely river nearby, but seeing only rooftop after rooftop, sipping my first coffee of the new year, and also wishing everyone a healthy, productive 2011--as well as lasting peace in the world, of course. If you're gonna dream, dream big. Thank you all for your talent and for sharing it with me.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jan 01, 03:10pm

Jim Davis, thank you for starting this beautiful thread. I'm glad you have a river to walk along, any river is a good thing to have nearby.

@Marcus, every wish for, well, everything. I know you wouldn't settle for less.

@JP, I can smell your coffee brewing and will have some, too, to share with you the first morning of this new year.

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Jan 01, 03:12pm

It's minus 2 here in Colorado this morning and I'm sitting by my fireplace with my dog and outside everything is snow-covered and lovely. I'm thankful for Fictionaut for bringing me to all you amazing, talented writers. Wishing everyone the best writing and well, the best of everything in 2011.

Susan Tepper
    Jan 01, 03:20pm

@Kathy, the snow. Of course. Stay warm and don't go out and buy any unnecessary liquers and don't let the neighbors in to play! HA!
    Cheers!

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Jan 01, 03:26pm

@Susan...ha! :-)

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Jan 01, 04:15pm

In Detroit City, rain has finished off the last of the remaining snow, also, and it's spring-like outside. I can't be sure about the celebrations having ended yet. But it hasn't been quiet along the Detroit River since Cadillac arrived in 1701.

Happy New Year! James, Marcus, JP, Susan, Kathy, and Fictionauts everywhere.

Happy All Year!

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 01, 04:16pm

Best to all from the White Mountains, where the mountains are ...well...white, the skiers are happy because of it, and there is quiet enough for those of us with the taste for it.

Thanks for all your good words, the exemplary work to read, your generous thoughts and comments.

Bonne Annee!

Susan Tepper
    Jan 01, 05:24pm

@JM: you also have a river! I envy you river people. Wishing you the BEST of what could turn out to be the best year yet. May all the collective unconscious energy strive for that bestness

@David: the quiet of the White Mountains is a glorious feeling. Thanks for sharing it here for us

• Jalousie.thumb
    stephen hastings-king
    Jan 01, 05:39pm

It's 1111 in Essex Massachusetts too. The marsh is covered with snow but it's melting so patches of gold and brown alternate with planes of white. Soon I'll pull myself together and go the a party at the Shipbuilding Museum where people dressed in flannel eat and drink potluck, tell stories and sometimes stand around a woodburning stove smoking cigarettes. The museum is a garden of aerial boats. It couldn't be anywhere else.

Fn is a lovely community. I'm pleased to be a part of it. Thanks for all the lovely treats to read and think about & looking forward to more.

Wishing all a fabulous 1111 and beyond.

shk

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jan 01, 06:03pm

You're a good man,James Lloyd Davis, and it's very much felt and appreciated. Here strangely enough the snow has melted and the rain has begun. People aren't wearing as many clothes although it is still cold--just not freezing. I agree with the thoughts on the community. It's always interesting and inspiring.And even though it can get quite competitive at times it remains a good place to do your thing among plenty of like minded souls who shine like the dickens--pun intended.I'm glad to sometimes find myself on that radar.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Jan 01, 06:23pm

No snow here in D.C., but the Anacostia's flowing by my window, just like it's supposed to, and it's a balmy 59 degrees out there, way above normal for this season.

Hmmm... maybe this year *will* be better than the last... ;)

Happy new year to all!

Thanks,

Bill

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Jan 01, 09:06pm

Greeting from Chicago. Happy New Year all! To a healthy and productive year for all of us and our loved ones.

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Jan 01, 09:08pm

@Susan: Yes, I'm, "Wishing you the BEST of what could turn out to be the best year yet," too: "May all the collective unconscious energy strive for that bestness." And the conscious energy would also help, if we could only manage to collect it.

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Jan 01, 09:09pm

Hi, Bill. Happy New Year!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jan 01, 10:03pm

Happy New Year James and all!

James, thank YOU for the generosity of spirit and heart you have extended to me and so many others here at fn.

And to everyone else -- also a huge thank you for sharing your words, and reading mine in return. FN is my writing home.

Outside of Baltimore is a balmy 54 with a mist in the air. A slow day as this day should be, dipping toes into the waters of a new year. in the coming year may we all find success in our writing and our lives, however defined. Peace...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jan 02, 12:21am

Thank you, Linda, and everyone else here who responded in kind. Down to the mid-twenties tonight, so I guess the snow will be back. It's okay, though. Beats Arizona, where the air generally drank all the rain before it ever hit the ground, where sun always shined, and where my lawn consisted entirely of pebbles ... dry pebbles at that. And, oy, the rattlesnakes?

Susan Tepper
    Jan 02, 02:52am

Oy, the rattlesnakes. Oy the crocs. Guess the crappy old northeast ain't so bad.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.