Forum / Time of Day

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Nov 08, 01:45pm

The time is 7:45 a.m. Central Standard Time

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Nov 08, 06:41pm

intrigued. it is 7:45 p.m. Central European Time where i am. what're we playing now?

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Nov 08, 07:07pm

me too, intrigued. 2:07 pm in New York City.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 08, 07:24pm

???????

• Tux.thumb
    Gary Percesepe
    Nov 08, 07:42pm

time for a drink, in ohio (as always, nothng changes)

• Dsc00059.thumb
    dris khali
    Nov 08, 08:48pm

Time for looking at the black sky.Time to contemplate my neighbours discussing the price of their coming holy day.
    What does 'belonging' mean? shared holy days? shared history? shared religon? culture? future?
    i belong to Humanity.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Nov 08, 09:56pm

Hurry up, please, it's time.

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Nov 08, 10:18pm

That's priceless David. I am sitting at my desk laughing because of your words. Hell, it IS time. Not sure for what, but I'm ready!

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Nov 08, 10:39pm

Fun thread. I was merely trying to figure out whether we're on Greenwich Mean Time. I think we are. 4:39 p.m. CST

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Nov 09, 12:14am

the march of the wooden soldiers

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 09, 04:38pm

!!!!!!!!!!!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 09, 04:44pm

Time is what you have until it's passed.

Since I wrote that sentence 14 seconds have elapsed, 20, 21, 22 ... 47 ... 128.

Now, I'm depressed and I don't really know why.

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Nov 09, 05:44pm

Perhaps a song will cheer you up, James. Hit it, boys...

"And the days dwindle down
    to a precious few...

NoVEMberrrr, DeCEMberrr..."

There! Feel better?

;-)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 09, 09:11pm

Ummmmmm, no.

Marcus Speh
    Nov 09, 10:24pm

one of my favourite time quotes by albert einstein who'd probably be on fictionaut if he'd had written not played violin and if he wasn't dead as a doorknob:

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”

Susan Tepper
    Nov 09, 10:53pm

I totally believe that quote, Marcus.

Don't be depressed James, write a story whenever you feel blue, and you'll have a pile, and that will make you happy! Trust me on this...

Matt Dennison
    Nov 09, 11:16pm

Marcus (et alia),

"“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”"

Speaking of relativity, one thing I've wondered about time is this: time *is* longer when you are young because (in a manner of understanding that works for me...) one year to a ten year-old is one-tenth of his life, whereas one year to a fifty year-old is only one-fiftieth. Not that much of an investment of experience.

Therefore time passes more quickly for the older person. Conversely, a year to a ten year old would be five times longer than to the fifty year-old.

An hour in class for a 2nd grader is a LONG TIME. Not so much for the teacher (again, depending on teacher's age).

All right. MY question is how does the teacher and the student keep from running into each other, figuratively AND literally, when speaking, when walking across the floor, if time is not passing at the same rate of speed?

• Me2.thumb
    Lynn Beighley
    Nov 10, 02:53am

There is a point during daylight savings time, where New York and San Francisco creep closer to each other, for 2 hours, warily. Then a few months later they quarrel and separate further. For 2 hours. Mostly, though, they manage.

Marcus Speh
    Nov 10, 08:32am

lynn, your post is a story in itself, a shorter version of "two cities" perhaps with most of the relationship stuff cut out but it works for me. wonderful.

Marcus Speh
    Nov 10, 08:40am

matt, you do go on. i sympathise deeply though i feel lost time more strongly now than i did before reading your post. otherwise, you're put your naked finger on a paradox there. the only answer i have is that teacher and student are actually one at all times, all teachers and all students, that there is, in other words, only one person, the eternal teacher and the eternal student, which makes a mockery out of teaching but there you have it. i believe this is a side arm of the philosophical galaxy called "solipsism", which really is the only ground to stand on for any writer of stature though it makes a mockery of reading, too. as shaw said: "I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." hold on, didn't i just already say that? but i must go, i'm all out of time for now.

Marcus Speh
    Nov 10, 08:53am

... i know i need to get back to writing. but this thread makes my head spin in many directions at once which is great for writing. my kind of writing. procrastination interrupted by bursts of bokononian buoyancy...

came back because of rick moody's answer to the first question in a recent interview (big think - http://bigthink.com/ideas/22842), "Why do you think digital culture is unfriendly toward literature?", namely:

".. with literary objects, literary cultural artifacts, you have a form that’s about taking its time and doing what it needs to do in a really prolonged and almost lazy way. So, the two seem inimical to one another..."

that of course is the other wonderful thing about time: it makes lazy. he put that well, didn't he.

• Martha-williams.thumb
    Martha Williams
    Nov 10, 09:44am

Where does the time go? asked my mother.
    We both looked at our hips.

It's 10-11-10 09:43 here. UK.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Nov 10, 02:41pm

How does one "waste" time? It seems only the dead have that option.

Matt Dennison
    Nov 10, 02:52pm

So...

If time moves slower for the child, and faster for the adult, why are the little kids running around so fast and the adults moving so slow?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 10, 04:44pm

Matt, they have shorter legs.

Matt Dennison
    Nov 10, 05:47pm

little bastards...

• Jalousie.thumb
    stephen hastings-king
    Nov 10, 08:43pm

in my world, it is 3:42 pm.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 10, 09:21pm

In my world, it's 1968.

• Jalousie.thumb
    stephen hastings-king
    Nov 10, 09:49pm

yes. 17 may 1968, 3:42 pm.

• Dsc00059.thumb
    dris khali
    Nov 11, 12:01am

ok. it's 23:58 here in Morocco.time to sleep.But i'm still here trying to freshen my mind.A cup of words is sufficient to make the world better.

Susan Tepper
    Nov 11, 12:50am

Have a nice sleep in Morocco, dream good dreams...

Susan Tepper
    Nov 11, 12:51am

Have a good sleep in Morocco, dream good dreams...

Susan Tepper
    Nov 11, 12:53am

test post: tried twice before and it refuses to post me! hmmm? has time jumped the fence and left? maybe I'm not here, I just think I am. I did hit POST REPLY and nothing!!!
    I read you can be dead and think you're alive.
    OK. Here I go again...

Susan Tepper
    Nov 11, 02:18am

I think I'm dead. I've posted 4 times to this thread and NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING.
    Marcus, dear pal, how do you think I FEEL about time? It appears I'm not even here

Matt Dennison
    Nov 11, 02:29am

(should we tell her?)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 11, 03:13am

hehehehe ... not my job.

Susan Tepper
    Nov 11, 07:15pm

test message

Susan Tepper
    Nov 11, 07:42pm

test message two

Susan Tepper
    Nov 11, 11:40pm

Matt you are definitely the new FH! (now that Erlewine/Erlewhinge has flown the coop again) I'm laughing so hard!
    James did relente and write and then Carson told me. I just got those messages--
    Damn! and I thought I was dead--
    it was a blast being dead. i should've written all sorts of things... ooooh.....
    the fun i coulda had, the stories i coulda revealed...

Matt Dennison
    Nov 12, 12:50am

(JAMES LLOYD... You pinky-promised not to tell!)

;-)

Susan Tepper
    Nov 12, 01:40am

HA! beware of pinky-promises they don't hold up with Judge Judy

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 12, 02:48am

Call me MISTER Chatterbox. I simply cannot keep a secret.

• Dsc00059.thumb
    dris khali
    Nov 12, 09:21am

it's 9:12 here in the south of Morroco.Birds are singing.The donkey of my aunt Hadda is ready to take her to the far field.I see her coming out of her traditional house. she seems happy of her time.
    After all what does one need from this world ?
    Happiness.

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Nov 12, 02:27pm

Too many people will not give me this.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Nov 12, 02:56pm

Time isn't just of day. It is a prism through which we pour our own light to see what will happen when it is refracted.By the way, Hi Dris. I like the cup of words idea very much. But back to time. Is time out actually time in? Time could be a page made out of a river, unwritten of course, or being written on as it goes about being itself. How concerned should we humans be? We're running out of time only in the sense that everything is always happening to us. Life is change. I think Jefferson Airplane said that.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Nov 12, 03:13pm

In my world, it is 10:13 EST and time for another mug of coffee. Though a cup of words sounds good, too. Maybe I will be greedy and grab both. But only after these blasted exams are graded. Peace...

Susan Tepper
    Nov 12, 05:02pm

This is a great posting that Ann made. It's been evocative and cryptic and funny and fun to write on.
    Christian, don't worry about what people won't give you. Make your own happiness around and apart from the unsettling things.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.