Forum / Mathew Paust's Obituary

• Dscn3474.thumb
    Kitty Boots
    Sep 07, 12:32am

Fictionaut friends: Sorry about the delay, it was difficult for me to figure out how to pass this info on to you.

Matt’s obit 26 August 2021

Mathew David Paust has at last slipped quietly away from the furiously whirling social experiment known throughout the galaxy, and perhaps beyond – and not without a chuckle, groan, snort, or perhaps something more imaginative – as “Earth.”

For all we know, Mr. Paust’s spirit may at this moment be strolling in celestial glory with angels or getting his ticket stamped by Beelzebub or standing alone on a corner in Winslow Arizona. What we can say with certainty is that his physical remains are stashed for the time being in a Maxwell House (good to the last drop) coffee can to be sprinkled by loved ones at a time and in an undoubtedly breezeless location of their choice.

Mr. Paust was born in Columbus, Wisconsin, two days before Japanese war planes bombed U.S. Naval ships at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. Turmoil on the Korean Peninsula had occupied world military considerations by the time Mr. Paust entered the U. of Wis., and Ike was quietly ensconced on the Burning Tree Golf Course (when not punching spike holes in the White House floor boards.) After three years of severe collegiate embarrassment Mr. Paust escaped into the martial hysteria himself, joining the U.S Army where he served four years learning that book learning beats the hell out of ground pounding. He returned to academia, from which he graduated eventually with a bachelor of arts degree that launched him on a career in journalism. He spent the rest of his working life reporting and developing his writing skills for a series of mediocre news organizations, retiring from the Newport News, Va., Daily Press several steps ahead of the news industry’s absorption into the more lucrative entertainment industry. Ultimately stumbling into that field alone Mr. Paust has managed a blog, Matt Paust’s Crime Time, and self-published several books, which can be found in paperback and Kindle formats at Amazon.com.

Mr. Paust was fortunate to have raised three beautiful children. He is survived by a sister, Jeni Starritt (John), a daughter, Sarah (Jake Ryan), sons, Joshua Rackley (Anne), and Michael Rackley (Shannon), and two adorable grandchildren.
    Arrangements are pending with Hogg Funeral Home and Cremation.

• The_lucky_ones.thumb
    Tim G. Young
    Sep 07, 07:50am

This kind of news about someone I cared deeply about is always so disgusting. I wish I did not have to know.

But thank you, Kitty, for posting this. In my mind Matt will always be here at Fictionaut lurking around every corner, reading and making those perfect on the money comments. See ya around Mr. Paust.

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Sep 07, 01:54pm

This morning feels so empty.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Sep 07, 04:38pm

Is he really gone? This makes me sad. I never met him in person, but I had lots of nice conversations with him on this site. Rest in peace, Mat.

• Dscn3474.thumb
    Kitty Boots
    Sep 07, 04:58pm

You're gonna love this...I just talked to him. Due to a 3rd party forwarded msg, my scrambled brain and state of mind, I posted it prematurely. I reminded him that Hemingway's obit was posted prematurely, too, after his plane crash in Africa. He said the Oxy was working fine. Forgive me. Our relationship was always chaotic and full of misunderstandings, hissy fits and such!

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Sep 07, 05:24pm

No worries. I'm just glad he's still with us and that there is something taking the edge off.

• The_lucky_ones.thumb
    Tim G. Young
    Sep 07, 05:31pm

Wow. Now, Good news!!

• Bad_egg_sign.thumb
    Todd Maupin
    Sep 07, 09:21pm

Thank goodness! I could have sworn Matthew was leaving comments after the first sad news dropped on "A Welcome and Primer."

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Sep 08, 12:42pm

Well, Matvei, as long as you're still with us and we with you, you yet occupy a Zwischenwelt somewhere between Fictionaut and Dylan Thomas's "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night", and thus you remain a live wire stretched between these two poles.

Keep the juice flowing as long as you dare, and may the currents that carry you keep you fully charged. All kind regards, as ever, and keep up all good work.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 08, 02:10pm

I was about to quote or in fact misquote the famous line attributed to Mark Twain about the reports of his death being exaggerated etc.

But I'll refrain, in favor of this favorite line at the end of the movie "Papillon."

(Steve Mcqueen as Papillon from raft drifting on the great sea away from Devil's Island, shakes fist at sky) "Still here, you bastards!"

Glad you are too, Matthew.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 08, 02:13pm

Loved the obit, by the way, a stellar use of the form.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 09, 02:50am

I was reading tonight, on Facebook, that Mathew passed away yesterday... does anyone know for sure? The obit presented here is beautiful and just. Thank you, Kitty Boots, for putting it up.

• Erika-byrne-ludwig.thumb
    Erika Byrne-Ludwig
    Sep 10, 01:21pm

We are all with you, Matt. Take it easy. Kindest thoughts.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Sep 10, 10:06pm

I am saddened to hear the news. Matthew was the soul of fictionaut. We could always depend on at least one reader of our work. He always gave me a generous comment. And he was a damn fine writer too. Tonight I will raise a glass of Guinness to Matt.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Sep 13, 02:50am

Goodbye to a fine gentleman. A fine presence on this earth. You did good, my friend. You made the world a better place. You made all of us better writers. You gave goodwill and it worked. And, as you can see, it touched a lot of people in a lot of ways. Thank you.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.