Forum / In writing, once you discard language itself, the actual words, what’s left?

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Aug 05, 03:23pm

"In writing, once you discard language itself, the actual words, what’s left?"

Writers as architects?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/writers-as-architects/?_r=0

• Images000001.thumb
    Gone
    Aug 05, 03:47pm

Interesting the lengths to which people will go...

A cheaper way would be to meditate on the silence between the notes in music, or to consider this:

"A room is that which does not exist, surrounded by that which does."

Or you could seek out your own Gordon Lish to whittle down your prose to the very bone. I'd very much hoped we'd gone beyond the minimal. I miss the lushness, the zaftig in literature.

• Web_bio_newglasses.thumb
    J.A. Pak
    Aug 05, 06:37pm

I often think that writing a story is like building a house so this makes sense to me.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 05, 08:27pm

Hmmmm.

I guess all forms of communication boil down to content (the words) and process (the dynamics/message/what's actually taking place in the encounter).

So I guess this is just one (rather costly and time-consuming) way to get them to focus on process...

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 05, 11:15pm

"...once you discard language itself, the actual words, what's left?"

"The rest is silence."

• XXXX
    Aug 07, 02:58am

Trash.

• XXXX
    Aug 07, 03:01am

Let me clarify: I'm not saying what is left will be trash. I am saying the question and the article are trash. Space is defined only by its binary relationship to matter. Removing language from a piece does not create silence the same way that the Liszt piece I just played two days ago isn't "just on pause" because I stopped playing, isn't on "one long silence." Even its silence does not exist because there is no matter to support it.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Aug 07, 03:47am

Interesting slant, PR - I'll add my thought: the Liszt piece is still playing - no matter if your fingers are touching the keys or not. And it is not silent. Our ears are too limited, dislocated, tuned elsewhere. The music plays on. And I agree its "silence does not exist," because the music is playing. A paradox.

The same would be true for poetry. The poem exists long before it's written down. And it continues whether it's read or not.

• XXXX
    Aug 07, 04:38am

I can't hear you over the sound of Hiroshima exploding, over my own crying from being born, and over the soundtrack of Batman Beyond I listened to when I was fifteen.

Sam Rasnake
    Aug 07, 01:18pm

If a tree falls, and there's no one around...

• Images000001.thumb
    Gone
    Aug 07, 01:30pm

If a tree falls in the woods and no one can hear it, does it fall at all?

Carolina existentialism.

Sam Rasnake
    Aug 07, 01:32pm

Great point, GA. And Carolina existentialism is the best kind.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 07, 06:24pm

Ask the deaf guy it landed on.

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 07, 06:37pm

Ha!

• XXXX
    Aug 08, 04:28am

It is more like: After a tree falls, is it justified to say it still falls after it lands? Of course not. To say that music goes on well over the silence is just as preposterous.

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 08, 04:38am

But isn't it pretty to think so..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wistfulness
    emptiness
    longing (and)
    regret

depend on this emptiness-thought
    in order to survive

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Aug 08, 04:58am

I've decided this article is primarily bullshit, but it might be fun to build the models.

• XXXX
    Aug 08, 05:10am

I agree with Carol. I've built one for Ezra Pound's Cantos.

It is just a pit, possibly filled with filth.

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 08, 05:47am

you = filth

been there/done that

What else do you have as an artist?

• XXXX
    Aug 08, 06:33am

Is the architecture supposed to correspond with the maker? Clearly, I was talking about the Cantos.

As for what I have done as an artist, I am not an artist at all. I'm a copyeditor from Manila with time between papers. That's all. I don't aspire for any of those pretensions.

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 08, 06:40am

"I was talking about the Cantos."

I kind of thought you were, but the repetition of "filth" raised my antennae, as I was on a roll vis-a-vis my comments on the perfection of your last piece regarding that same attitude/noun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no inherent pretension is being creative (though perhaps in considering oneself "artistic.")

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good to finally see you manifesting as a person with a voice and opinions.

• XXXX
    Aug 08, 06:42am

You are very kind. I have always been a person. It is one of my life's greatest disappointments.

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 08, 06:44am

Ha!

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 08, 06:56am

(though it IS good to hear you finally speak up here, no matter your incarnation.

I'd like to hear more of what you think, artistically/philosophilisticalistically, about the occasionally interesting Forum topic.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 08, 07:00am

Stop talking y'all!

I'm TRYING to hear the silence between words here!!!!

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 08, 07:04am

look out for that.....

TREE!

(ooh, ouch, that's gotta hurt...)

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 08, 07:13am

DAMN!

Did that thing fall again?

I NEVER hear it!!!!

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 08, 07:19am

Um, could someone come lift this thing off me.

Anyone!

Hello.....

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 08, 07:20am

(walks past, whistling...)

• XXXX
    Aug 08, 07:22am

Lift it off you? It's still falling! And has always been falling, long before it fell. You just aren't attuned to it....

• XXXX
    Aug 08, 07:23am

In fact, Sally, you have been under that tree your whole life.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 08, 07:24am

That 'splains a lot.......

Can someone bring me a sandwich.

Sam Rasnake
    Aug 08, 07:51pm

With several songs on American Beauty, Phil Lesh had the engineer empty the studio of people, then use a live mic to record the sound of the empty room. Lesh wanted the silent room as rhythm track on the songs. The silence does add depth.

Or, according to Don Henley,

"Out on the road today
    I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac
    A little voice inside my head said:
    'Don't look back, you can never look back'"

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Aug 09, 04:10am

Silence is golden (golden...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n03g8nsaBro

• Jalousie.thumb
    stephen hastings-king
    Aug 09, 11:56am

Moholy-Nagy once said:

"The enemy of photography is the convention, the fixed rules of 'how to do.' The salvation of photography comes from the experiment."

Goes for writing as well. Most anything, really.

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Aug 09, 04:42pm

I have studied and practiced both writing and architecture for 47 years so far. I fear I would fail the course the author of the article teaches. Sure, the space defined by the physical matters but the focus is invariably on the stuff that defines the space and the people who pass through it as anonymous scale figures. Surfaces and the signs they contain, by choice or accident, are also very important in architecture as well as writing. I applaud the idea of the course and the interaction it encourages between the two disciplines. But I'm much too American to enjoy very much of that one hand clapping sort of thing.

• Frankie Saxx
    Aug 09, 05:56pm

So basically you make a cardboard model of "How does this story make you feel?"

I got some boxes, a hot glue gun, and a vast expanse of Friday night stretching out before me...

• You must log in to reply to this thread.