Forum / Louis Owens: Story in the Blood

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Apr 01, 03:41pm

My essay on Louis Owens, American Indian writer, prof of English, fly fisherman, etc. is up today at Bloom, a publication I hope you'll check out on a regular basis. It's devoted to writers whose significant publications appeared when they were over 40. We write about the contemporary and the dead as well!

http://bloom-site.com/2013/04/01/louis-owens-story-in-the-blood/

• Frankie Saxx
    Apr 02, 11:24am

Fascinating, Jane. (Reading it now.)

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Apr 02, 02:15pm

Great essay, Jane. Nicely done.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Apr 02, 09:51pm

thanks for the reads, Sam & Frankie

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Apr 02, 10:08pm

This essay does what all good essays about authors and their work does. It makes me want to go out and get his books and devour them. Great work, Jane. Thanks for introducing me to Louis Owens. Sad that he is now lost to us.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Apr 02, 11:23pm

So well written, and like Joani, increased my curiosity about Louis Owens and his legacy. Thanks for this, Jane!

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Apr 03, 03:00am

Going there to read now, Jane. Thanks for this link. I'm ecstatic to hear there's a zine for writers who've published over age 40. Way too much emphasis on young writers, IMO, but we Boomers are gonna change that dynamic!

• Updated_bio.thumb
    James Claffey
    Apr 03, 03:04am

got it.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Apr 03, 04:15pm

thanks for reading! also, if you have ideas for writers we could feature, please let me know. I have always been baffled by how few people know Louis's work and was thrilled to have the opportunity to write about him and introduce him to some new readers (I hope). Bone Game and Dark River are my favorite novels. But his book of personal essays--I Hear the Train--is hearbreakingly superb! (Also, the story about Colonel--the dog in Bone Game--is based on my brother's dog :)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.