Forum / What constitutes Flash Fiction?

• Better_than.thumb
    Sally Jayne Heymann
    Feb 01, 05:17pm

I understand the flash part is under 1000 words. Do they always have to be completely fictional, or can they be non-fiction with fictional enhancements?

I've researched this, but have not come up with a satisfactory answer.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Feb 01, 05:42pm

but have not come up with a satisfactory answer.

That's because there is none.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

writelikeyouwannwrite!

• Facebook.thumb
    John Riley
    Feb 01, 08:32pm

I'm reading a book of short stories now--"I Am Not Jackson Pollack" by John Haskell--and it's often hard to know if I'm reading an essay or fiction. It's one of the best book of stories I've read in some time. My point is that write what you want and need to write, as Neil said. There are no rules.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 01, 09:06pm

"Our lives with all their miracles and wonders are merely a discontinuous string of incidents – until we create the narrative that gives them meaning."
    -Arlene Goldbard

Create meaning. Don't worry about what to call it.

• Better_than.thumb
    Sally Jayne Heymann
    Feb 01, 10:43pm

Thank you, this helps a lot. I just didn't want to submit something to a publication as flash fiction, if it was non-fiction. I try to be as honest as possible when presenting my material.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Feb 02, 12:32am

My own flash fiction varies from fake essays on absurd topics to memoir to fiction to some combination of all three. I feel flash fiction allows for a tremendous range of freedom in writing.

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Feb 02, 02:27am

I am in the process of downsizing for a major move, getting rid of some 3000+ books. I look at some of the 15 to 25 page stories in anthologies and collections I've accumulated over the years, trying to decide if they still resonate, and I find that they don't. The older I get, the more time weighs on me. I want it quick. I want it intense. I want to be brought to my knees in tears. I don't have time left for a lot of back story. I want 200 words to stand for 2,000--at a minimum...time is all I have. Pierce me...

• Better_than.thumb
    Sally Jayne Heymann
    Feb 02, 02:48am

Excellent advice, thank you!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 02, 02:56am

Some of those old long stories still resonate with me. I don't think of flash fiction as an evolution or as a generational leap toward a more resonant, relevant brand of literature. I think of it more as another thing altogether, neither less nor more, but only shorter.

What is flash fiction? Short fiction. Maybe the question oughtta be... "What is fiction?"

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Feb 02, 04:39am

At least half of my flash fiction is flash memoir and I call it that, but as a short-cut it just seems easier to lump it all under flash fiction, even though I don't think of my flash memoir as fiction at all. It's flash memoir. But I wouldn't think of not including it with flash fiction.

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Feb 02, 05:10am

Read something the other day. I've forgotten who wrote it:

All fiction is memoir and all memoir is fiction...

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Feb 02, 05:15am

It's totally true, but on a spectrum not worth dissecting.

• -5.thumb
    RW Spryszak
    Feb 02, 02:54pm

Sally I'm thinking flash evolves with the person. As had been intimated above, it is unique to each writer. I think it has less to do with word count and more to do with craft. When I look for stuff to put in the magazine I like it to have a finished quality. That is, even if it comes up ambiguous, there has to be something of voice and intent in it.

It's kind of like Jackson Pollack. Anybody can be lazy and haphazardly squiggle colored lines on a canvas. But when it is art, you know it.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Feb 02, 04:06pm

Truth can be told as fiction but fiction should not be told as truth. Though I agree with Barry's quoted statement, memoir as fiction allows for perception, but shouldn't be held as fact.

• Better_than.thumb
    Sally Jayne Heymann
    Feb 02, 04:17pm

Thank you everyone for taking time to give me thought provoking answers. I have a lot to think about before I write tonight. I appreciate your help and guidance.

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Feb 03, 01:48am

Sally: I consider these to be perfect examples of Micro AND Flash fiction:

http://www.escapeintolife.com/fiction/before-by-lou-freshwater/

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Feb 03, 07:11pm

Sally, there is also a great book from Rose Metal Press called Field Guide to Flash Fiction edited by a wonderful writer named Tara Masih. This was one of the first guides recommended to me and now when I teach workshops I always recommend it to students of Flash Fiction.

http://www.rosemetalpress.com/Catalog/Field%20Guide_more.html

• Better_than.thumb
    Sally Jayne Heymann
    Feb 04, 01:06am

Thank you for the links, Ramon and Robert. I'll check them out.

I want to let everyone know that I appreciate all the help and criticism I get on this site. It helps be become a stronger author.

• Img_0037.thumb
    Lori Lou Freshwater
    Feb 11, 12:15am

Ah, thank you, Ramon! :)

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Feb 12, 04:28am

I love the book Robert Vaughan recommended and that flash fiction has a history of thousands of years in China as a form of storytelling poetry. It reminds me of Haiku. It has a solid tradition and is not something new. It's historically valid.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.